• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Distraction Free Writing; How can I get it?

Addison

Auror
This is an urgent call for help.

I need a way to get away from the internet to focus on writing. Blocking out my sibs and their racket is routing, the puppy chewing on my belt, easy. But when the butterflies start flying and my inner critic is on the loose I have to find some way that blocks me from the internet. Other wise I'll spend time searching random stuff or listening/watching you tube videos.

Is there software, a CD, or maybe a code or something I can do to my computer itself?

S.O.S A.S.A.P.

Thank you! Happy writing. :)

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Just try this search string
block internet access software for writers

There are dozens such. But the easiest is to flip the wi-fi switch, or if you're hardwired, just unplug the ethernet cable. Hardware wins, every time.

Addison

Auror
I tried pen and paper. I'd write a few sentences then I'd suddenly be doodling, tic-tac-to, and other things.
I'll be unplugging. I'll tune in later.

Dawn Goodwyn

If you have Chrome, StayFocusd is a great extension that will give you a few minutes on your chosen sites before blocking them for a pre-set amount of time.

It's great for when you need certain sites, because you can choose to block the real time wasters (for me, that's Reddit and Pinterest), while leaving open the ones you need, like email or search engines. Also it's free. Can't beat that with a stick!

Geo

Troubadour
Have you hear about the Pomodoro method for improving concentration and productivity?

When I have to write to a deadline (work stuff mostly) I use the application and it truly helps. The idea is not to avoid all distractions but to have them at control times.

Here a link to their main site:
Productivity 101: A Primer to The Pomodoro Technique

There are many free applications available for both computer and phone. You can give it a try and see if it works for you.

Last edited: