• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Do I need this Set Up?

I'm not really sure if 'set up' is the right word, but let me explain the issue I'm having:

My main character is a pizza delivery man. Although we see him doing some miscellaneous tasks at his work, the first time we actually see him delivering pizzas, something important to the plot happens. It was off to me and I felt that the story needed to show him have an ordinary pizza delivery, just to show what it's like for him as a character. He's an unhappy character, and he doesn't enjoy what he does for a living, so I wanted to show that on an every day scale. However, as I'm writing it, and now have two complications;

1. I don't want to write anything that feels like filler.
2. I have no clue what to write in-between the first normal pizza delivery and the second pizza delivery. I have done all the introducing I need for the main characters.

I asked my brother, and he said I didn't need the normal delivery scene, and felt it wasn't needed. Now I'm not sure. On one hand, I'm afraid of it not flowing correctly. On the other hand are the issues I listed above.

Do you think I need it? Or when in doubt, take it out?

Last edited:

Reilith

Sage
Well, you could go without the ordinary delivery scene, but adding it up might not be a simple filter. If that is how you're establishing an important part of your character's life, I say go for it. What I though might be some sort of buffer, so you don't have to write the whole scene down. Like a flashback or a few sentences regarding his usual delivery job.
Example:
Person A had a rough week. More than 50 deliveries a night, grumpy old customers, squeaking girls craving pizza so close to closing time, and even the kind people who tipped well - it was all too much for him.

This gives the reader a preview how his life usually goes, or how that particular week in this case was, so when something out of the ordinary happens, they know it is not a usual thing in his life.

Last edited:
That is such a simple great solution that I feel really stupid for not coming to to those conclusions myself.