• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Do You Allow Other Characters To Outshine Your MC?

MiguelDHorcrux

Minstrel
My problem is that my MC turns out to be the weakest among my slate. His name is Aguia Zimurgh. His mother was killed and his father left them, leaving his brother to became king of the Kingdom of Zalir and him as one of its Lords. The story will revolve around Aguia travelling to the Everwinter Union to find and destroy a sword, the only thing that can facilitate the return of dark magic into the world.

His character is weak.

Aguia is conservative. He does not believe in democracies, though him and his brother are actually good leaders. Other than this political and moral conservatism though, he is just the classic reluctant hero who somehow find his way into the crossroad. Other than to finish his quest, all he really wants is to have all his siblings in their kingdom and co-rule with them (one of his siblings was taken by their father, another one ran away because he hates politics while the last was thrown into another continent because he is a dud at magic). Just one driving force. Even as he is enacting his biggest mission, Aguia just couldn't wait to get it over with so he can live quietly with his siblings. I just find the character flat and boring.

In contrast, my other characters turn out to be more interesting.

Cody Christian is your usual brute, big and muscular and all that. He is a hit among the ladies, a heart throb if you will. He is brave, though reckless and oftentimes stupid. On top of all this though, he loves his country (even though its society bullies dappledfolks - magic users) and near the end he will gladly lead the suicidal charge to break the siege on his city, despite knowing that the government is just withholding actual help so the dappledfolks would be pressured to volunteer and die. His father and sibling died in front of him years ago, while his mother was yanked by the government into military service. His fiance will be killed while he is at a faraway island acting on the faulty suspicion of my MC. Despite being the punching bag of society and circumstances, he stays righteous and I find that interesting. Not to mention that he may or may not be gay ;)

Mitchel Paskins is a prodigious weapons inventor and a powerful fire mage in his own right. He is a fair weather friend though, and money motivates him just as much as his innate goodness does. Throughout the story, he is in a constant internal struggle if he will do the right thing or the profitable thing, and of course he will undergo a character development to goody goodness.

Jubilee Melea is a powerful druid engaged to Aguia's cousin Nicodemus. Nicodemus is a prince of Royal Skies, currently embroiled in a war against about five other nations. She agreed to help Aguia thinking that with the sword destroyed, the war her love is fighting will be over, and of course because she is naturally good, and because Aguia helped her get her sister back (see next character). She is a mother hen kind of a character, but she often enacts the Gordian knot solution. She kills indiscriminately in the name of saving her kingdom and her loved ones. She also has a massive internal battle, because she wants to turn her back on the Druidic Order of Mas Maria (their doctrine is focused on tending the Gaea Tree - more like a forest encompassing their entire kingdom - and staying there as the lifelong guardian of every life form in it) and instead explore the world, either alone or with Nicodemus. I think a druid who kills indiscriminately and desires to leave the druidic order she is in, inside the shell of a mother hen kind of a character has more layers than my MC. Oh and she is also battered by guilt. See next character.

Julia Golds is Jubilee's cousin, though her parents are dead and they are now basically sisters. Julia is also a druid, and she has four spellbound panda bears. Jubilee brokered a deal with one of the kingdoms that Nicodemus' is at war with, marrying Julia off to the thirteen year old Emperor Reon of the Moorns Empire in exchange for a thirty years peace deal. Emperor Reon reneged on the deal, and instead has his guards and himself rape and abuse Julia everyday for the entire year she was with him. It was Aguia's diplomatic maneuvering that eventually saw Julia returned to Jubilee. She is of course damaged. I have no idea yet about her exact character, but I am set to talk to a child psychologist friend to help me develop the Julia character, though I am already sure that the outcome will still be better than the flat Aguia character.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, do you guys have any identical experiences? How did you remedy it? Can you please give me your opinions as to how to improve my MC? Any opinion is greatly appreciated.

Russ

Istar
A few things.

I think you do have a problem if you find your MC flat and boring.

However, I don't find him so. The reluctant hero can be very compelling when done well. But you need to write him well and compellingly and that is hard to do if he is flat and boring.

If you just can't get that character to take the lead for you, you could always write the story with someone else as the MC.

As an aside, the names strike me as quite a mis-mish culturally. They sure don't sound like they come from the same world/culture/kingdom.

I think spell bound pandas could be quite fun, although I understand they are not the most active of creatures.

MiguelDHorcrux

Minstrel
Aguia is the Portuguese word for eagle
Zimurgh is a mythological sky creature

Reflects his father's lineage, which is from the Empire of Royal Skies.

The spellbound pandas has this sort of ice breath from all the magic-made bamboos they eat. I just need something innocent and fun around such a depressing character.

glutton

Inkling
I think it's okay, the main traits of my current WIP's MC are that she is aloof, nonemotional, untalkative and boring and other characters even call her out on it lol. She does get some character development where she makes a couple new friends which helps her open up, talk and act caring a little more but even then she never displays much outward emotion or angsts for long. She is a rock solid dutiful pillar. XD

Granted she is still decent at taunting opponents before/during battle and her fighting isn't boring.

Last edited:

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
I think a good question to ask yourself is this: is the MC driving the action? or just a passenger? That is a major demarcation between strong and weak leads. If they aren't driving the bus, they better be Keanu Reeves saving the bus and telling the driver what to do... if that makes any sense.

And if readers find the MC dull and flat? well, then its all obvious.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Dull main characters can also happen if one's approach to the story is mainly plot-driven. This kingdom goes to war with that kingdom. One has magic, the other doesn't. But the latter finds a magic stone that brings victory but then unleashes a terrible demon. Etc.

Not a character in there anywhere. Nothing happens *because* of the characters, it all happens because of the plot.

I'm sort of hyper-aware of this because my stories tend to be plot-driven. I have to make a conscious and sustained effort to let the characters participate in my plots.

MiguelDHorcrux

Minstrel
The plot is actually character driven, since only Aguia and his king brother knows about the sword and its ability to alter the imbalance of magic favorable to the dappledfolks. If he will not seek out the sword and find a way to destroy it, then nothing will really happen. Of course the plot will play its roles though. There will be a war, enemies will build businesses in the Everwinter Union where Aguia and his entire mission of destroying the sword will take place, and he will fall in love.

Now he is a strong character, where magic is concerned. And he is a good ruler, so much that his people still loves him even if he consistently crushes all attempts at democracy. I keep on adding bits that I think will make him interesting. First, he detests killing. Second, yes, he just loves to be left alone. This character is basically a mirror of myself :) All I want is to be left alone, but my older brother died and now I have this mission upon me to carry the family name, just as Aguia is suddenly thrust into this mission of saving the world.

I might give him a love life though, a dappledfolk whose father happens to be the business partner of one of the enemies I was referring above. This I think is good plot device since it will give Aguia a chance to take a look at how his enemies operate, and vice versa.

JeiC

Acolyte
If I find I'm having a hard time with a character, I'll pull them into a side story (usually doesn't end up as part of the main story) until they really start talking to me. Not sure if that will help you out or not.

Butterfly

Auror
If a secondary character outshines my main character it usually means the secondary character should be promoted to main as s/he clearly has a stronger voice coming through. It's happened a couple of times with me, drew out an entirely new book I hadn't expected to write.

DeathtoTrite

Troubadour
Honestly, the secondary characters sound more boring than the MC. The reluctant hero is a compelling type. The thing about reluctant heroes, though, is they can't be overly passive. So instead of constantly reacting to big bad's plots and goons, returning to chill between confrontations, the MC realizes he has to win the fight before he can make peace, and often engages in proactive measures to ensure peace.

Also, he obviously needs more fleshing out.

Maybe in certain scenes a secondary character might have their moment to shine and outdo the MC, but that's different than letting another character completely eclipse the original MC and all of a sudden move closer and closer to being the center of the story.