• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Do you enjoy reading, or is it more like a chore?

Respond to the one you most agree with:

• As a child, I really enjoyed reading, and I still read for enjoyment

Votes: 18 69.2%
  • As a child, I really enjoyed reading, but as an adult I don't enjoy it

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • As a child, I disliked reading but I enjoy it now

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • As a child, I disliked reading, and I still dislike it now.

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters
I was in the fourth grade when I truly fell head over heels for books. But only fantasy books. The books I was required to read for school (To Kill A Mockingbird, Catcher in the Rye, etc.) made me absolutely despise any other reading. But the books I chose to read were the ones that swallowed me. I spent more time in the worlds described on paper than I did in real life.

As an adult, reading became more difficult. I wrote a lot more, which was nice, but reading really helped me write and without that component, writing was difficult as well. I suppose, to answer your question, it is becoming more difficult to enjoy reading as an adult. But when I do find just the right book that draws me in like my child self would have been drawn in, then I can't put it down until I've devoured it.

nck

Scribe
I loved reading as a kid and still do; I don't think I'd even want to write if I didn't, the whole point of writing for me is to try to recreate for others something like the experience I've had of reading my favourite stuff.

markwoodey

Hmm, good question - one that’s been on my mind going into the New Year, as I’ve set myself the resolution of reading at least one chapter of a fiction book that I’m not already reading before bed. Otherwise, if I’m only reading books (usually fantasy) before bed, I end up only getting through like maybe 10 a year - so it’s a way of increasing my scope in order to join in on the conversation as pmmg mentioned above, and just generally be more in the know.

It was actually a bit of a revelation lately to me, realising the importance of tracking the trends of the market, in this case the fantasy market. I’d never even thought of doing so before - I’m something of a curmudgeon in terms of prioritising the purity of the artist’s vision over the practicalities of making money, so it’s not about chasing the market, but I just realised the benefits of at least being aware of it. Also helps me to take my role as a writer more seriously - and plugs me into the ‘real world’, rather than just it being in my head. If nothing else, drawing on comparative titles will help me convince an agent and ultimately publisher that my work is sellable.

As a child and teenager I absolutely loved reading fantasy. Recently over the last few years I haven’t read as much because I fear the thread of inspiration I have with whatever project I'm working on getting damaged or distorted, either through influence or just the pain of feeling inferior. Kind of a weirdly specific concern, but does anyone share that? Anyway, I'm working on that, and as I said, I’m now trying to push through that and increase my reading scope, so that I’m more familiar with everything out there! :geek: But still, I have to read articles and books because I'm getting my degree, and I just can't avoid it. But I try to keep my writing and education separate, and for now, I'm okay. I also have a lot of writing tasks, which I like because what can be better for skills improvement? But you know, writing such papers is harder for me because there are requirements that somehow confuse me and take away all my creativity. The last time this link and provided there Constitution essay samples provided there gave me some inspiration and ideas, I managed to finish the task after all. I also had to read a lot of other info, but it's not similar to what I wrote, so it didn't cause any problems.

You mentioned a really good point - "over the last few years I haven’t read as much because I fear the thread of inspiration I have with whatever project I'm working on getting damaged or distorted"
For some time I was avoiding reading books or stories because I thought that unintentionally I'd copy something from that reading and use it in my writing. I was literary afraid to be caused of plagiarism, but now it's okay.
I like reading, even when I work on something.
But when I was a kid, reading and writing was like a nightmare for me

Last edited:

Gurkhal

Auror
I like reading when I can get down to do it, but unfortunately I don't have the best attention span so that's something that gets in my way.

Reading's the easy part. Writing is the chore. At least the parts where I don't have that "one scene" in mind that I am working towards.

As for childhood: I used to be able to read the whole day. I remember, on a reread, I finished one of the Potter books in a day.
Now that I'm an adult, I find that reading is a pleasure for the moments inbetween. For the lunch breaks, the sunbathing, the days at the lake when I'm between dips into the water.

But it is never a chore (unless I am reading garbage like Sword of Truth or Shannara etc....)

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Reading's the easy part. Writing is the chore. At least the parts where I don't have that "one scene" in mind that I am working towards.

As for childhood: I used to be able to read the whole day. I remember, on a reread, I finished one of the Potter books in a day.
Now that I'm an adult, I find that reading is a pleasure for the moments inbetween. For the lunch breaks, the sunbathing, the days at the lake when I'm between dips into the water.

But it is never a chore (unless I am reading garbage like Sword of Truth or Shannara etc....)

Complete opposite of my experience. It would take me months to a year to finish an HP book. In a day, that's crazy. I wish I could read and comprehend that fast.

I have a question for all you readers out there:

In your adult life, have you actually ENJOYED reading? I've been sort of weirded out by my own shift from being an 'obligated' reader, to getting seriously into authors and their stories. I can't really pinpoint how or why it's happened. A recent YouTuber I watched says that adults have a way of leaving the act of reading behind for various factors including early childhood difficulties, studying for college, or just growing out of it. So, I wanted to get a general opinion for how others might feel about reading, either fiction or non-fiction. Feel free to respond to these questions in your own words or just click the poll.

How did YOU view reading as a child?

How do you experience reading as an adult? Do you feel obligated, or do you enjoy picking up books?
tbh i've never picked up a book i wouldn't read.
I read fast, and because of it, i've prolly read LOTR a dozen times over.
It's never a chore, maybe because I didn't have assigned reading in school, being homeschool for most of it.
Cheers,
Dex

one potter in a day? my guy c'mon.
I've read all seven in a weekend.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Well...If you say so.

I am dubious one can ready that fast and gain the type of immersive and in depth understanding of text the artist would like. While I am admittedly a slow reader, all seven in a weekend? I am not sure I would want that.

Well...If you say so.

I am dubious one can ready that fast and gain the type of immersive and in depth understanding of text the artist would like. While I am admittedly a slow reader, all seven in a weekend? I am not sure I would want that.
Comprehension is gained not by a single glimpse, but repeated and in-depth understanding.
-me, 2023.
in other words, I read fast and repeatedly.

pmmg

Myth Weaver

Sword of Truth and Shannara did not grab me either. Oddly, even though I like Fantasy, I find I dont like fantasy books all that much. I started reading a lot more of the Classics, which as a kid, I would have thought too old and stuffy, but I found i've liked most that I have read. Including some I never thought I would ever read.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Comprehension is gained not by a single glimpse, but repeated and in-depth understanding.
-me, 2023.
in other words, I read fast and repeatedly.
Well...if you read many times, and I read once, and we have the same understanding (which is not in evidence), was there really any advantage to reading it fast?

Complete opposite of my experience. It would take me months to a year to finish an HP book. In a day, that's crazy. I wish I could read and comprehend that fast.
I mean, I never claimed comprehension :D

I was a teenager, I comprehended neither real life nor the books I read.

tbh i've never picked up a book i wouldn't read.
I usually finish books even if I hate them, just so I can vent about them without some smartass asking "but did you finish it? The end is so good!"

Well...if you read many times, and I read once, and we have the same understanding (which is not in evidence), was there really any advantage to reading it fast?
Yes. I get the basic gist quickly AND can repeatedly enjoy it.
do you ever re-read books?
it gives a deeper knowledge of the characters and you get more attached.

I mean, I never claimed comprehension :D

I was a teenager, I comprehended neither real life nor the books I read.

I usually finish books even if I hate them, just so I can vent about them without some smartass asking "but did you finish it? The end is so good!"
PRECISELY! i thought no one else did that

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I do tend to read book people are hating on for no reason. But if its not keeping me interested, I will drop it.

I read twilight cause my daughter hated on it so much, and never read a word. Just wanted to say, if you are going to hate on it, you should at least know why.