• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Do you read anything else besides fantasy?

Ophiucha

Auror
Science fiction and horror are admittedly my next genres of choice, which all sort of fall under the same hood as fantasy. I also read a lot of classic and "modern classical" (like Vladimir Nabokov) literature, particularly non-Western (the region of the world, not the genre) works. Journey to the West is one of my favourites. And I have a fondness for Westerns (the genre), though a good 80% of that genre is pretty cheesy, when you get a gem, it's very worthwhile. I like the Latin and South American authors of the 20th century; Jorge Luis Borges and Gabriel Garcia Marquez are the two big ones, but there are loads. And I read a metric ton of graphic novels, comic books, manhwa, and manga.

ethgania

Dreamer
I read practically everything. Right now I'm working on 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami. I also read a lot of YA, fantasy and not.

Lorna

Inkling
I read alot of fantasy in my teens- Lord of the Rings, Dragonlance, Salvatore, Eddings then went right off it at univeristy and got more into Romantic poetry- Blake, Shelley and Byron in particular and French Symbolism- mainly Rimbaud and Baudelaire as well as European philosophy from Plato through Kant to Heidegger and Derrida. It was Nietzsche's 'The Birth of Tragedy' that spurred my interest in Greek tragedy, brought me to learning about British myths- the Mabinogion, Arthurian Legends and through this avenue back to fantasy. A very random excursion.

At present I'm reading trying to combine reading fantasy (Robin Hobb and Philip Emery are my currrent favourite fantasy authors) with learning more about ecoliterature- poetry and prose that reconnects humanity with the land through re-engaging with nature (Helen Moore, Jay Griffiths) and learning about the British bardic tradition (Kevan Manwaring, Emma Restall Orr).

sf and fantasy mainly but anything that grabs me i can read reading lot of historic based fiction now a days as partof my sf story reasearch

Martinus

Scribe
I read a lot of Science Fiction, as well as historical fiction and genuine history, some mystery, thriller, & western. I'm not a big fan of horror, unless it has some element of the fantastic or intellectual suspense (hack and slash horror isn't for me). Also, if it's in Oprah's book club, odds are I'm not interested in it.

Jabrosky

Banned
As a matter of fact I've always preferred non-fiction to fiction of any genre for reading material. Not only can non-fiction provide you with abundant seeds for story ideas, but no one will sue you if you rip off reality. My favorite non-fiction genres to read are history, anthropology, science, and politics, all of which can contribute a lot to the fantasy genre.

Alex97

Troubadour
I'll read anything if it's well written, although I tend to avoid romance which I only enjoy as a sub plot. Obviously I read fantasy, but also historical fiction, thrillers and modern military fiction if you can call that a genre - basically Chris Ryan and Andy Mcnab, not the most refined books in the world but worth a read. I read a lot of non fiction as well, either about the ancient world or modern military stuff.

The last book I read was the Cry of the Icemark. Its aimed at a lower age group then I would usualy go for but a good bit of fantasy none the less. Before that I read Spartan which I would definitely recomend.

Renos

Minstrel
Fantasy, historical fiction, mystery, history, classics, horror, fiction. Just to be quality! I have to admit though except from the classics masters (Hugo, Vern, Dickens, Dumas etc), Valerio Massimo Manfrendi and Bernard Cromwell are my favourites.

I read sci-fi, fantasy, fiction, non-fiction, crime and almost anything that has words on it :p Alex Rider, Worst Case, Historia Regum Britannia, that kinda stuff.