• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Does it ever get boring?

C

Chessie

Every scene should be fun to write. If it isn't, the readers are most likely not going to enjoy it either. When I have troubles with boring scenes, I change them up on paper with a brainstorming session until the scene has more flair. I despise writing filler scenes much as I hate reading them. I rather fast forward and show what's happened in the meantime via dialogue or a unique situation.

PS: Clan of the Cave Bear is awesome, sad to learn the rest of the books go downhill. That's one of the reasons why I have difficulties finishing entire series. Something changes in the quality of the story and I lose interest. I regret buying "Wi'tch War" because I was only able to make it halfway before I couldn't read another word. After two books which I thought were pretty good.

Weaver

Sage
Good heavens, do NOT get me started on Plains of Passage. That work inspired my new term for filler crap writing - grass.

Grass = filler crap in fantasy. *nods* Thanks - now I have something to call it. My twin and I (and apparently a lot of other people) call it cannonballs when it happens in sci-fi.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I agree with Chesterama. If you're bored writing a particular scene in a book, that should be a red flag.

Yes, every scene should be a fun scene to write, and you could mount an argument suggesting that in the perfect book, all scenes would be equally important. BUT I would qualify that by saying that some scenes are definitely more fun to write than others because they are the scenes you've set up for a major resolution/discovery/duel etc. When you're mapping out your plot you will be quite aware of particular scenes which you anticipate writing with great glee.

The challenge is to make all the set up scenes worthy of the resolution.