• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Does it Exist?

Hello

I am looking for books/films which involve both "cozy" murder mystery and elements of fantasy. I am struggling to find anything. Does such a cross-genre story exist? Any suggestions would be great. Or, anything as close as possible.

A "when John Grisham met Tolkein" type story would be ideal, but anything even loosely fitting that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

JCFarnham

Auror
Rivers of London and the ensuing trilogy. Police procedural/fantasy
The Dresden Files series. Private eye/fantasy.

And plenty more besides, but only counting the above that's pushing on 20+ books/story to sink your teeth into. If you not into Urban-styles of fantasy then I don't know if I can help.

There are arguably plenty of other things "close, but not quite" to this kind of Thriller. Its not a huge genre, simply because its so relatively new in comparison to its fellow, but I don't think I'm at all wrong in saying that wait a few more years and a "boom" in this new genre will be more evident.

I also assume that currently a lot of this more stuff could be found in the self-published market.

Kit

Maester
What's a "cozy" murder mystery?

This may or may not fill your bill, but Seanan MacGuire's Toby Daye series is about a part-fey PI. Kind of campy, but fun for a light read.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Glen Cook has a series of detective-style stories that take place within a fantasy world (as opposed to the 'real world' with fantasy element, like Dresden). They're sort of hard-boiled PI stories with a humorous angle.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Not entirely sure what you mean by cozy - but *IF you can find them, try looking up 'Lord Darcy Investigates'. Sort of a magic using Sherlock Holmes and Watson pair. From way back.

"Cozies" take place in a village or small setting, characters usually know intimate details about one and other etc.

As for those responses, excellent thanks. I will look them up and see. Thanks again