• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Dream Bank

battlestar

Dreamer
Sometimes I have weird dreams. Sometimes I still remember them when my alarm clock jolts me awake.

Here is a dream of mine, feel free to comment and share yours too.

City of Art:
A wide open public square. Innocent bystanders lost their minds and lined up in a cross formation. Channeled thru their formation, surges of lightning were generated and randomly blasts away the ground, sending millions of shrapnel into the air. The world was falling apart, even gravity was changing directions chaotically. I somehow knew the only way to restore the world to its former self was to reach a place named the City of Art.

I arrived in a foreign land, and I was being watched. The defenders of this elven land were hidden in the forests, ready to lunge at me at any time.

I fended off the attacks of the wood elves, through force and persuasion they reluctantly told me the way to find city of Art. The magnificent city was hidden within another plane of existence, with its entrance located between three puzzling marks. With three items of power these marks are revealed and one could enter the city of Art given the right lighting and angle in space.

The city of Art glimmered like a mountain of crystals. It was completely silent except for my own footsteps. It had been abandoned. I browsed through city's collections of artifacts, knowing one of them would suit my purpose.

A deafening noise, followed by faint tremors of the ground. It seemed like though the inhabitants abandoned the city, something else was inhabiting it, and I woke it from its slumber.

There were more creatures out there. I had the artifact. A portal opened. I entered an alternate reality where everything seems right. To me, the world is saved.

Last edited:
I'll throw one in here, since I think it could make a good story.

A large city has been quarantined due to a devastating plague. A seemingly ordinary man, as yet untouched by the plague, is on his way home when something large and shadowy appears and makes him an offer. It gives him a book, with a list of names in it, and tells him he will remain uninfected so long as he finds those people and writes down everything he can learn about them--how they live, how they die (if they should do so), and whether they are good people or bad. The people in question cover all walks of life, from the mayor of the city to a old washerwoman, and there appears to be no pattern in how they were chosen.

In the dream, all of those named ultimately died, and it ended with the chronicler expecting to die as well. Anyone who wants to write this up can feel free to change that, though.

The reason I'm not writing this is that I know where the dream came from: it's a combination of Avalon Code and Sunset Over Imdahl. I'm afraid if I try to write it, it will come out far too similar to those two works.

I had this dream several years ago: I was in a Barnes&Noble that was very dimly lit. I was looking through the fantasy section and found a book called Dark Lands. The book was by me. I can't remember the cover, but the back of the book was black with the blurb in faint printing. Down at the bottom was printed the comment: Readers of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings will love this epic fantasy story. My WIP is called Dark Lands, and even though i'm sure i'll never get such high praise i like to think that's the dream that inspired me:)