• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Easy Writes and hard writes

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Talking about easy vs. hard, I'm working on a piece today where I'm actually giving myself a crying headache and I'm having a hard time typing because I keep tearing up. I do this a lot because we write some fairly emo storylines. Anybody else do this? Please tell me it's not just because I'm super girly or anything. :p

This, yes. All the freaking time. I have a character involved in a love triangle who knows full well he won't get the girl, and every time he thinks about it I get choked up and often start crying. It's embarrassing. ^^;

As others have said, the professional approach is to acquire good habits and stick to them obsessively. I used to wait for the muse, and all I had to show for it were a handful of nice vignettes. When I got serious about writing (about 20 years ago) I slowly developed some good habits, but it was when I became a commuter that I really hit paydirt. Now, every day, I have a train journey that lasts 60 minutes (each way). I get on the train, switch on my laptop, and instantly I am immersed in my own little world. Before I know it, the hour has passed, and I've usually created about 1000 words or done some really valuable editing.

Also, I'm usually working on several projects at once, so I simply work on whatever has the most momentum at the time.

And for those times when you're stuck? Start something new. For years I was a 'serious' writer with no published works to my credit. Somewhere along the line, I started jotting down ideas for a completely different style of work. The ideas grew - usually when I happened to be in the mood for it at the end of a 'serious' writing session. Then suddenly, one day as I was walking to the train station, I suddenly realised that my idle jottings were in fact the germ of a really strong 'commercial' idea. I started work 'seriously' that very morning and absolutely churned through the first draft in about 13 months. The idea and the story were so strong the book just seemed to write itself, and the very first publisher I showed it to accepted it (after years of rejection of all my serious work).

I don't do serious any more. Or more correctly, I do do serious but it's wrapped up in a darkly comic style, which has turned out to be my natural voice. My next book is coming out in August, and it was also developed from a bunch of random ideas which (I believe) has turned into my masterpiece. (Fingers crossed.)

What do you take out of all this?

You must write habitually without waiting for the muse, and no idea should ever be wasted. You don't know where it might take you.

C

Chessie

I agree about being disciplined with writing. It used to be that I would also wait for the muse and sometimes weeks would go by with no writing. It didn't feel good! So I told myself, hey, why not handle it like a part time job at least? I have plenty of time in the mornings and days off to work and its the best thing I've done.

I get up early in the mornings to do work: write scenes, do research, focus on characters or worldbuilding, etc. I spend a couple hours doing that before I move on to the rest of my day. And I also take a couple days off to clear my mind. I'm more productive now and feel like I'm really taking all of this seriously. My dream is to be published someday and consistently working towards that by staying in the game (not giving up) is so much nicer than waiting however long for inspiration to strike. Who has time for that? Not me.

Well put Chesterama, staying in the game is what it's all about.

Too many people give up after a few years of rejection. It takes years to develop your voice and your style and these things are best honed by bouncing back better from disappointment.

I'd been writing for 15 years when I finally got 'the phone call'.

C

Chessie

This, yes. All the freaking time. I have a character involved in a love triangle who knows full well he won't get the girl, and every time he thinks about it I get choked up and often start crying. It's embarrassing. ^^;

Oh, man its hard not to get caught up sometimes! My soon-to-be WIP includes a sexy tension type romance between the mc who is a merchant class young lady and a peasant lad who is helping her to solve the mysteries of the plot. They are both involved emotionally in the happenings so they fare better working together. She rejects him plenty at first but then starts to warm up. Their relationship leaves me with "awww" moments the further I develop it.

The Dark One, thank you for sharing that and NEVER giving up. 15 years of deepening your skills, at least the chance didn't pass you up. :)

Never giving up is easy if you really are deeply committed to being a writer and have 100% faith in your ability. I know everyone believes that they are (and do) in the early years, but I'd say that if you are still enthusiastically pouring out the words after ten years of rejection, you have at least proved your commitment.

That doesn't mean you have grown. I know two writers who have been doing it as long as me - one even longer. One of the two, let's call him A, has had a little bit of success with writing but never had a novel published. This is despite the fact that he has excellent style and can set up a gloriously atmospheric opening - I get drawn immediately into his worlds - but then, nothing happens. 30 pages, 50 pages, 80 pages...where's the plot? I'm always asking him, why don't you make X happen here or make Y the secret baddie etc, but he refuses to depart from the words as laid down by his muse. (Don't even get me started on the editing question!) Writer B has never had anything published, despite a bit of interest from agents now and then. Writer B has been going nearly 20 years and like writer A has quite a bit of talent at putting words together, but she refuses to tell a story. She thinks writing is all about the beauty of the words themselves rather than the tale they weave. Alas, readers don't agree.

Of course, I fully respect both of their positions and admire their dedication to their muse. I however am different. I really wanted an audience, which meant I had to drive my style in the direction of what was publishable. My first three attempts were all very self-indulgent as I developed my craft and voice, but then I had the 'commercial' idea and suddenly the industry took notice and wanted to help.

One other observation about writers A and B, they rarely read outside their genre of interest. I think this is a big mistake. Read widely and take influences from anywhere you can. If nothing else this will set you apart from others in your genre of choice.

The same but different is the way to be taken seriously by publishers.

Fyri

Inkling
I once heard that if you want to be a writer, you must think of it as a job. It is a job for many writers. Their source of income relies on their writings. Therefore, writing will not always be fun and easy. One must force themself to write everyday. The only cure to writer's block is to write. Fight through the block and inspiration will eventually return to you. However, you must strive to write at least a little every day. Whether writing means actually writing words, or planning out scenes, or even just figuring out a character, you must try to be involved every day. Writers block is a killer. I dont follow my own advice all the time. Sometimes I must take a break, but I get back on the horse as soon as possible, even if I don't think I'm ready.