• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Fantasy Character Death Match!

Mindfire

Istar
Ok, I added Eragon, and I picked one of the mythical figures (Beowulf, since he's my favorite). I also added Harry Dresden. Just need a couple more at this point.

I thought about Aslan, but thought the same thing you did - if he's supposed to be 'god' it seemed like it wouldn't work too well.

Yeah, Aslan pretty much is God. If you're going to add him you might as well add Eru Illuvatar. But seing as they're technically the same person, that would be redundant.

You COULD add the White Witch however!

And while we're at it, let's add:

-Either Adult Avatar Aang from Avatar: The Last Airbender OR Fire Lord Ozai
-Lion-O with the Sword of Omens and Gauntlet from ThunderCats 2011

Last edited:

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Ok, Mindfire...I put most of those in. Thank you!

And I also added River, from Firefly/Serenity :)

I'll see if there are other suggestions, and then we'll get this thing moving!

EDIT: I just put Buffy in as well.

Last edited:

Mindfire

Istar
Just thought of a couple more. Dustfinger from the Inkworld Trilogy post-resurrection. After he comes back from death he gains greater powers that take pyromancy to a whole new level, able to create animals from fire and control it like a living, breathing thing. (Incidentally, he inspired my soulfire magic system.) I'd also like to suggest Mortimer Folchart aka "The Bluejay" from that same series. He's not exactly a wizard, but he does have the power to summon things and characters from any book simply by reading it aloud. And if he's inside a book's fictional universe then he can subtly alter reality by reading aloud also.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
OK, here is the current list:

Quick Ben
Anakin Skywalker
Albus Dumbledore
Rand
Elric of Melnibone
Conan the Barbarian
Gandalf
Logen Ninefingers
Puss in Boots
Waylander
Drizz't
Raistlin
Edward Cullen
Gotrek Gurnisson
Kelsier
Eragon
Beowulf
Harry Dresden
White Witch (Narnia)
Percy Jackson
River Tam (Firefly)
Carter & Sadie Kane
Lord Wolverine the Great
Buffy Summers (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
Dustfinger (Inkworld)
Smaug (the Hobbit)
Alice (Resident Evil)

EDIT: New contestants - The Lady (Black Company)
Sethra Lavode (Steven Brust books)

Going to call it soon and start the contest!

Last edited:

Steerpike

Felis amatus
OK, that's 30 contestants. We can always do another iteration later with new people if anyone was unfairly left out. I'll post the starting bracket in a new thread!

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Can you imagine the offense it would cause if God didn't win? We cannot afford to spark that debate.

Okay, can I make a suggestion? I'm a big old fan of Final Fantasy, and I would suggest Vincent Valentine or Lulu (my two favorite characters, but I bet there's ones more suited to this challenge (Sephiroth, Rydia, Cloud Strife).

Anyways, I thought those characters kicked a whole lotta ass, and ought to be represented.

Pick Lulu, pick Lulu!

40812_1474349971754_1023816503_1380462_5381929_n.jpg

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Heh. Well this bracket is done but I have a feeling the winner of this first bracket is going to have to face off against the winner of the next one, because we forgot a lot of good characters! I just can't fit any more in this one and make it work :)

Mindfire

Istar
Interesting. After this tournament finishes I think we could have two more actually. One would cover the characters who didn't make it into this one, like Cloud and Lion-O. The other is kind of an idea that popped into my head after the Jedi vs Wizard thread. We could have a thread similar to this, except with characters invented by Mythic Scribes members. Except it would just be a discussion for fun and there wouldn't be any real "winner" necessarily.

Also, are there any "rules" for this contest? Will there be debate or a sort of "battle simulation" or will it just be decided by polls? I ask this because depending on the format, some attacks or powers might need to be ignored. E.g. Rand's balefire only destroys things that are part of "the pattern", so it wouldn't work on a character from another universe.

Last edited:

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Map the Dragon, a regular poster before, tried to do something like this, but the tournament never finished (as they tend to do). Just a recommendation. If you're going to do a Death Match, just let it be decided by voting and not by anyone having to actually write scenes.

I'll vote, because I love these sort of things. By the way, Suvudu does these as well and Rand won one of them simply because he's like a god or something. I haven't read the Wheel of Time, but that's not really fair. :)

I'll nominate some others:

Harry Dresden (Dresden Files)
Merlin (Arthurian legend)
Sandor Clegane (A Song of Ice and Fire Series)
Pug (Magician Apprentice)
The Wicked Witch of the West (The Wizard of Oz)
Geralt of Rivia (The Witcher series)

Some thoughts!

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Map the Dragon, a regular poster before, tried to do something like this, but the tournament never finished (as they tend to do). Just a recommendation. If you're going to do a Death Match, just let it be decided by voting and not by anyone having to actually write scenes.

I'll vote, because I love these sort of things. By the way, Suvudu does these as well and Rand won one of them simply because he's like a god or something. I haven't read the Wheel of Time, but that's not really fair. :)

I'll nominate some others:

Harry Dresden (Dresden Files)
Merlin (Arthurian legend)
Sandor Clegane (A Song of Ice and Fire Series)
Pug (Magician Apprentice)
The Wicked Witch of the West (The Wizard of Oz)
Geralt of Rivia (The Witcher series)

Some thoughts!

Yeah, it's just pure voting. After this bracket, we may have to do another to pull in some of these great characters (I do have Dresden in there though!).

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Also, are there any "rules" for this contest? Will there be debate or a sort of "battle simulation" or will it just be decided by polls? I ask this because depending on the format, some attacks or powers might need to be ignored. E.g. Rand's balefire only destroys things that are part of "the pattern", so it wouldn't work on a character from another universe.

I was just going to have everyone vote in the thread for each round. I won't want to set up an actual poll for each contest, because that would mean a lot of polls and threads in which to house them.

Mindfire

Istar
I was just going to have everyone vote in the thread for each round. I won't want to set up an actual poll for each contest, because that would mean a lot of polls and threads in which to house them.

Not necessarily. You could have one thread, but do the polls off-site. That would be simple, prevent spam, and it would keep the voting anonymous.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I thought about that, Mindfire. Then I thought it might be more fun, in a community sense, just to have people post their votes and talk about them etc. I don't know. If no one votes, I'll try to anonymous method :)

Mindfire

Istar
I thought about that, Mindfire. Then I thought it might be more fun, in a community sense, just to have people post their votes and talk about them etc. I don't know. If no one votes, I'll try to anonymous method :)

It would be interesting to have a discussion sidebar of course, but I think that the integrity of the poll itself is best served by allowing it to be anonymous. For the same reason that votes for public officials are anonymous.