• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Fantasy Combat! Hagrid vs Gregor =)

Who wins the Death Match?

• They kill each other!

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Hagrid crushes Gregor like a toy, no question!

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Gregor wins, but dies later of his injuries.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Hagrid wins, but dies later of his injuries.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Gregor manages to win without much trouble.

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Poking around for information on Hagrid and his possible weight, I found these resources.

Someone did a rough calculation

harry potter - How Big is Hagrid? - Science Fiction & Fantasy Stack Exchange

So then I found this ideal weight calculator, which I used to do my own estimations

Ideal Weight Calculator

Which gave a bunch of numbers for the ideal weight for a 12ft tall person. The high range is between 545.6 lbs - 737.3 lbs

This seems a bit light so I used this calculator to refine the results.

Height Weight Calculator

According to this calculator, if Hagrid is over 737.3lbs, he's considered overweight. As soon as he approaches 900lbs, he's considered obese.

When I input Gregor's stats in, he comes out as just crossing the obese threshold, which shows you that BMI isn't a good indicator of health and shape. It's even worse when you put in the real life Hafthór Júlíus Björnsson's stats in. But I digress.

My point is to get a more accurate comparison in height and weight. So it looks like if a 12ft man had the same physique as Gregor, we could say he might weigh in around 900lbs. But from what I know, and I'm sure we can all agree, Hagrid is a bit more plump, so his weight would be higher and muscle tone less.

So how much more should Hagrid weight? I'd say 25%-50% more, depending on how "overweight" you think he is. I base this reasoning on a 6'0 200lb man, which is a similar ratio to what Gregor is and a 900lb Hagrid would be. A 6'0 250lb man is a bit out of shape. A 6'0 300lb man is probably a lot out of shape.

So if I did this handwavium right, Hagrid is probably between 1125lbs and 1350lbs.

So it's a roughly 8ft 420lb Gregor against a 12ft 1125lb Hagrid.

So scaling down and keeping the ratios, it's like a 6ft 200lb man vs a 4ft 74lb person.

I suppose it would look something like this.

Sun-Ming-Ming-Tall-Basketball-Player.jpg

OR This

a4970d68ad89b105e3d838f65ae9ed6b.jpg

Last edited:

Drakevarg

Troubadour
You also need to keep in mind Hagrid doesn't have normal human proportions for someone with gigantism. Normally when someone is that tall, they look like a basketball player, like the picture you showed. Tall and lanky, like they've been stretched out too far. Hagrid, meanwhile, has roughly the same proportions as a grizzly bear. He's not just twice the height of a normal man, he's also described as being five times as wide. Let's be charitable and say he's roughly twice the size of a sedan if it was made out of bone and muscle instead of steel.

TheKillerBs

Maester
One thing I would like to point out is that Hagrid is not slow or clumsy, despite the movies' portrayal of him as such. In Prisoner of Azkaban he moves very quickly to wrestle an enraged predatory eagle-horse off a student, presumably going around a few students and their assigned eagle-horses unless he fortuitously had a clear path to Malfoy or was standing right next to him.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Hagrid, meanwhile, has roughly the same proportions as a grizzly bear. He's not just twice the height of a normal man, he's also described as being five times as wide. Let's be charitable and say he's roughly twice the size of a sedan if it was made out of bone and muscle instead of steel.

Five times as wide is roughly 5-6 feet wide, so his width is roughly half his height. That's not even close to twice the size of a sedan. And that's not really grizzly bear proportions. That's a person wearing one of those sumo suits proportions.

$(KGrHqF,!iEE8J!LTj0(BPO8qzVSrQ~~60_35.JPG

Last edited:

Drakevarg

Troubadour
I was thinking about it as like "5 grown men abreast" wide, which to me brought the image of a car pushed onto its taillights in terms of proportions. Figure you take two of those and mush 'em together into roughly a square-bottomed rectangular prism shape and you'd get Hagrid's dimensions.

I've read several references to the fact that Hagrid was described differently in later books, going from 5-times as wide as a normal man to 3-times as wide. I don't have the books handy so can't verify, but I found these quoted on one of those Q & A sites, copy-pasted here:

If the motorcycle was huge, it was nothing to the man sitting astride it. He was almost twice as tall as a normal man and at least five times as wide. He looked simply too big to be allowed, and so wild — long tangles of bushy black hair and beard hid most of his face. He had hands the size of trash can lids, and his feet in their leather boots were like baby dolphins.

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - Chapter 1

About twice as tall as a normal man, and at least three times as broad, Hagrid, with his long, wild, tangled black hair and beard, looked slightly alarming – a misleading impression, for Harry, Ron, and Hermione knew Hagrid to possess a very kind nature.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - Chapter 12

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
I was thinking about it as like "5 grown men abreast" wide, which to me brought the image of a car pushed onto its taillights in terms of proportions. Figure you take two of those and mush 'em together into roughly a square-bottomed rectangular prism shape and you'd get Hagrid's dimensions.

Let's say that instead of waist size it's shoulder width. Then that means Hagrid is around 10-12 feet wide, so as wide as he is tall. That brings his proportions to looking like this. Which to me doesn't seem right.

350894-75960-bouncing-boy.jpg

Ok, so I've been playing around in DAZ Studio to create some visuals. DS has an addon for use in measuring sizes of figures, from height to waist circumference to bicep circumference to leg and arm lengths....and many more things. So it's handy for comparing proportions.

There are some graphical errors, a lot of things I'd clean up for a more "finished" picture. But I've already spent quite a few hours on this subject and Daz Studio can be a real time-killer, especially since I'm a hobbyist and haven't mastered the program.

ecPW0fN.jpg

Ok, so DS has these sizes for the characters in this photo:

Gregor: 7 ft, 10.9571in
Hagrid: 11 ft, 10.4726 in
Unlucky Average Human Male: 5 ft, 10.2679 in

I'm not so certain on the precise heights, had almost gone with a straight-up 8ft vs 12ft; but the books themselves are imprecise and seem to suggest heights slightly under.

Here's a line-up, but with slightly different heights and a change to widen Hagrid up a little (but not to 5-times the width of a normal human male.)

diO21Ns.jpg

Gregor: 7 ft, 11.224 in
Hagrid: 11 ft, 11.9758 in
Average Male: 5 ft, 10.4151 in

Mostly, I added width to waist, hip, thighs, shins for Hagrid. This might be approximately 3-times the width of that tiny feller. Probably, Hagrid could stand to be widened a little more. The difference in heights between the two images is simply due to the way Daz Studio changed them with re-posing, and also I think when I modified Hagrid's width slightly.

Ok, so I've been playing around in DAZ Studio to create some visuals. DS has an addon for use in measuring sizes of figures, from height to waist circumference to bicep circumference to leg and arm lengths....and many more things. So it's handy for comparing proportions.

There are some graphical errors, a lot of things I'd clean up for a more "finished" picture. But I've already spent quite a few hours on this subject and Daz Studio can be a real time-killer, especially since I'm a hobbyist and haven't mastered the program.

ecPW0fN.jpg

Ok, so DS has these sizes for the characters in this photo:

Gregor: 7 ft, 10.9571in
Hagrid: 11 ft, 10.4726 in
Unlucky Average Human Male: 5 ft, 10.2679 in

I'm not so certain on the precise heights, had almost gone with a straight-up 8ft vs 12ft; but the books themselves are imprecise and seem to suggest heights slightly under.

Here's a line-up, but with slightly different heights and a change to widen Hagrid up a little (but not to 5-times the width of a normal human male.)

diO21Ns.jpg

Gregor: 7 ft, 11.224 in
Hagrid: 11 ft, 11.9758 in
Average Male: 5 ft, 10.4151 in

Mostly, I added width to waist, hip, thighs, shins for Hagrid. This might be approximately 3-times the width of that tiny feller. Probably, Hagrid could stand to be widened a little more. The difference in heights between the two images is simply due to the way Daz Studio changed them with re-posing, and also I think when I modified Hagrid's width slightly.

But where is that glorious beard. :p

That difference is in-friggin-sane. Just imagine the forces that sword could toss out at the tip. It would be astounding. One hit would crush armor and bones and likely cleave right through Gregor.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
I want to explain how it was that I came to calculate Hagrid's weight as one thousand kilograms.

Some time ago, I encountered difficulty in defining the weight for the males of my Aylar species. They are called Guardians and they are much taller and stronger than the females, because they evolved as protectors. The typical Aylar Guardian is 3.7 meters tall, and I had no idea how much they would weigh.

At first I tried to calculate their weight by means of the Body Mass Index thing, but the problem is that they are so out of the human scale that it's useless for them.

The solution was to calculate basing my numbers on other animals, like Grizzly bears and the Gigantopithecus.

A large Grizzly can weight 680 kilograms (1500lb) and measure three meters tall (almost ten feet) while standing on its hind legs. Now back to Hagrid, he is even taller than that and probably has a bulk similar to the Grizzly. As a consequence of this he would have to weight 750 kilograms or more, perhaps 800.

Perhaps the Gigantopithecus would be a better example:

The Gigantopithecus are believed to have been up to three meters tall with a weight of 540 kilograms, but according to the drawings and other representations that I have seen of them they were not as bulky as what Hagrid is described to be. One 3.5 meters Hagrid would be equal to a couple Gigantos, and that's where I got the one thousand kilograms calculation from.

The BMI thing goes out through the window as soon as you calculate basketball players, let alone Hagrid and Gregor.

2000px-Gigantopithecus_v_human_v1.svg.png

In the end, I calculated my Aylar Guardians to be 720 kilograms because they are taller than the Giganto but also they are slender and elegant creatures.

Drakevarg

Troubadour
I've read several references to the fact that Hagrid was described differently in later books, going from 5-times as wide as a normal man to 3-times as wide. I don't have the books handy so can't verify, but I found these quoted on one of those Q & A sites, copy-pasted here:

Perhaps he simply slimmed down in the intervening three years? Even half-giants can go on diets. :p

Jerseydevil

Minstrel
Between rounds, Gregor's corner Cornerman: "Look, that was a good round, you need to work the angles. You can't be staying in the pocket like that. Rinse, don't swallow, now spit. He's gassing quick, so stay out and go for the arms. He's going to try to be a bit more aggressive this round, so keep the distance. He's going to be working the left side, so keep the shield ready. Feint and move. Take ring space from him and don't push the action. Take him into deep water and drown him."

Hagrid's corner Cornerman: "Breathe deep, breathe deep, now, keep the guard up. You landed a few good hits, but you can't be that aggressive. He's waiting for you to make a mistake, so don't give him one. That's right, just keep breathing. Watch the leg slashes, he's going to try to wear you out. Get in the center and control the ring, make him do the work. You have the range but keep the guard up and watch for his body shots. You're doing good, but we can't afford another round like that."

Joe Rogan: "Lets look at the replay of that round. Gregor's moving in here, Hagrid drops his guard for a moment, and BOOM, Hagrid slams Gregor's shield. Lets look at that again. Bang! Right on the button. I don't know how Gregor's still standing after a shot like that."

Mike Goldberg: "Well, he has shown resilience like that before. He had that controversial slit decision against the Viper of Dorne. He was impaled and still managed to eek out a win."

Rogan: "He's never faced someone larger than him before, but that's the beauty of the Ultimate Fantasy Championship. He's going to have to change up his usual strategy, and be more mobile than before. Hagrid's never fought in the cage before,I wonder what's going through his mind right now."

Goldberg: "The break is nearly over, ready for Round 2."

I have no idea where I am going with this, but I felt I had to share it anyway.

Between rounds, Gregor's corner Cornerman: "Look, that was a good round, you need to work the angles. You can't be staying in the pocket like that. Rinse, don't swallow, now spit. He's gassing quick, so stay out and go for the arms. He's going to try to be a bit more aggressive this round, so keep the distance. He's going to be working the left side, so keep the shield ready. Feint and move. Take ring space from him and don't push the action. Take him into deep water and drown him."

Hagrid's corner Cornerman: "Breathe deep, breathe deep, now, keep the guard up. You landed a few good hits, but you can't be that aggressive. He's waiting for you to make a mistake, so don't give him one. That's right, just keep breathing. Watch the leg slashes, he's going to try to wear you out. Get in the center and control the ring, make him do the work. You have the range but keep the guard up and watch for his body shots. You're doing good, but we can't afford another round like that."

Joe Rogan: "Lets look at the replay of that round. Gregor's moving in here, Hagrid drops his guard for a moment, and BOOM, Hagrid slams Gregor's shield. Lets look at that again. Bang! Right on the button. I don't know how Gregor's still standing after a shot like that."

Mike Goldberg: "Well, he has shown resilience like that before. He had that controversial slit decision against the Viper of Dorne. He was impaled and still managed to eek out a win."

Rogan: "He's never faced someone larger than him before, but that's the beauty of the Ultimate Fantasy Championship. He's going to have to change up his usual strategy, and be more mobile than before. Hagrid's never fought in the cage before,I wonder what's going through his mind right now."

Goldberg: "The break is nearly over, ready for Round 2."

I have no idea where I am going with this, but I felt I had to share it anyway.

Hagrid stands for the beginnin of the second round his Cornerman says, "You gotta remember H-Bomb you eat lightning and crap thunder. Keep working the body with the shield and don't let that son of a death eater breathe!"

Gregor rises, snarling, grabbing his shield and sword, his Cornerman says, "Your the champ Gregor. You're number one. Your fists are number one. Use your technique stick and move and gut that monster."

Ding

Rogan: Alright round two. Here. We. Go!

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Rogan: Gregor sidesteps Hagrid's clumsy chop and?!?!? Drops his shield and sword? What the heck is he doing? Oh wait. He just mounted Hagrid's back. And he's got the r@pe choke on... err... the non-consensual relations choke, the non-consensual relations choke!!!!!

The arena falls silent. The fight pauses. Awkwardness hangs like a wet fart in a full elevator.

Goldberg: Really man? Really? We came here for a wholesome disembowelling not... not that disgusting filth that just came out of your mouth.

Rogan: But-But that's the name of the hold, and I tried to G-rate it up.

Goldberg: And it's still disgusting. Look at the arena, nobody's feeling the murder any more. Look at that 12 yr-old kid. He's probably dreamed of this fight all his life and now it's ruined. All because of you.

*Ding-Ding*

Round is over

Gregor slides off Hagrid, and they both wander uncomfortably to their corners. Their eyes never meet.

Man from Gregor's corner goes over to announcer's table: Gregor would just like to state though he is a r@pist, he's not a giant r@pist.

Rogan: Hagrid is a half-giant.

Man from Gregor's corner: He's not into half a giant either. He doesn't do necrophilia.

(Sorry to drag this down into the mud, but my fingers just wouldn't let me not type that out. Again, sorry.) :S

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
Rogan: Gregor sidesteps Hagrid's clumsy chop and?!?!? Drops his shield and sword? What the heck is he doing? Oh wait. He just mounted Hagrid's back. And he's got the r@pe choke on... err... the non-consensual relations choke, the non-consensual relations choke!!!!!

The arena falls silent. The fight pauses. Awkwardness hangs like a wet fart in a full elevator.

Goldberg: Really man? Really? We came here for a wholesome disembowelling not... not that disgusting filth that just came out of your mouth.

Rogan: But-But that's the name of the hold, and I tried to G-rate it up.

Goldberg: And it's still disgusting. Look at the arena, nobody's feeling the murder any more. Look at that 12 yr-old kid. He's probably dreamed of this fight all his life and now it's ruined. All because of you.

*Ding-Ding*

Round is over

Gregor slides off Hagrid, and they both wander uncomfortably to their corners. Their eyes never meet.

Man from Gregor's corner goes over to announcer's table: Gregor would just like to state though he is a r@pist, he's not a giant r@pist.

Rogan: Hagrid is a half-giant.

Man from Gregor's corner: He's not into half a giant either. He doesn't do necrophilia.

(Sorry to drag this down into the mud, but my fingers just wouldn't let me not type that out. Again, sorry.) :S

Seated in the back of the stands the Dread Pirate Roberts, smirking, points his thumbs towards his chest, nods his chin and gloats to the lovely blond beside him, "That's my move."

I'd like to say that was a younger version of Hagrid, or that he had to shave his beard because it had become infested with nargles, but sadly I'd simply forgotten it. Wasn't certain I had a model for big beards...but it turns out I do! So I've been toying around with it a little more. Trying to think of a less ... contrived ... scenario.

Dy06lcr.png

Scenario:

Gregor Clegane is sent out by his boy-king to kill the intruder. The fact that the intruder showed up with a dragon makes no difference whatsoever. Gregor must prove himself to be a worthy servant to the Iron Throne.

Hagrid doesn't realize he's on the wrong continent. He begins by trying to explain that he's looking for a scrawny, white-haired lass, in order "ter set up a breedin' program."

What the horse was thinking: Dude, you're breaking my back!

What the dragon was thinking: You think that guy's heavy? Ha! You know nothing, my pretty little lunch!

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Hello everyone.

I wanted to say that I have just counted eight supporters for Hagrid in the posts including me, but there are only three votes for him in the Poll that is part of this thread. What is happening here? If you really support Hagrid, please vote for him in the poll as well instead of just speaking in his favor.

FifthView: Those images that you have made are great, but I prefer one that somebody posted at a different site. I think that it better illustrates the difference in height and size between Hagrid and Gregor, so I wanted to post it here.

6Dz89Nw.png

My final argument in favor of Hagrid is that, even though he is not wearing armor for this battle, he is wearing his regular clothing. Even ordinary clothing can be surprisingly difficult to cut with a sword, not to mention that Hagrid's clothes are surely much thicker and tougher than the fabric worn by other people.

Hagrid would still be vulnerable to stabs, but Gregor would need to get within his reach to do that and then he's dead.

Do you guys watch or have watched the animated series Happy Tree Friends? I would post the video right here but I fear it goes against the Forum Guidelines of Mythic Scribes, so instead I'll just ask you to go to Youtube and search for the episode called Take a Hike.

What the bear does to Lumpy at the end is exactly what Hagrid would do to Gregor, oh yeah =)

Hagrid with sword and shield, with a berzerker, blood frenzy is just so weird, as a starting condition. So it's odd to postulate these things in order to "even out" the match while saying at the same time that it's a runaway, obvious win for him. I was slightly surprised we didn't say he had spelled his eyes before the match in order to be able to shoot lasers at poor Gregor. (And a nine-foot long sword, because those are always lying around!)

Of course, he would naturally have a wand and probably a crossbow, so...Even without a weapon, he'd be a formidable foe, assuming that his dear friends had been threatened by Gregor already.