• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Favourite quotes

I miss Colonel Potter and the M*A*S*H gang. Except for Charles Emerson Winchester the 3rd.
One of the best ones was: "I will not carry a gun, Frank. When I got thrown into this war I had a clear understanding with the Pentagon: no guns. I'll carry your books, I'll carry a torch, I'll carry a tune, I'll carry on, carry over, carry forward, Cary Grant, cash and carry, carry me back to Old Virginia, I'll even 'hari-kari' if you show me how, but I will not carry a gun!" -- Hawkeye

But Charles had a few good ones too!!! He was a pompous cad but a funny one. Example: "Carbon paper in the safe -- what brilliant foresight! In only 2000 years it will
turn into diamonds!" -- Charles

"...but know this. You can cut me off from the civlised world. You can
incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice
daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be
heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid an festering
sewer." -- Charles

RIP Potter.

Last edited:
Reaver,
Did you know that Hawkeye is teaching @ NY's Brownstone? I'd kill someone to get a chance to take that class. He wrote a lot of the second half of the shows run. Man he was good.

Reaver

Staff
I didn't know that. That would be very cool though. He's an excellent writer. If you haven't read them, check out "Things I Overheard While Talking to Myself" & "Never Have Your Dog Stuffed:And Other Things I've Learned". :)

I borrowed both from the local Lib. when I was younger... I own them both now! Very cool books. Glad he and his bother were finally able to make amends.

Reaver

Staff
It is good when you can re-connect with estranged family members. I can certainly relate to his feelings.

yep yep. IDK it is going to be a huge loss for the screen writing world when he passes. No one comes close to touching him in witty satire.

Reaver

Staff
I agree wholeheartedly. Sometimes I'm blown away by how old most of my favorite actors, writers and other famous-types are.

Pfft, When Potter passed away last week I realized how freaking old I am getting. I mean I had a crush on Hawk for crying out loud.
Time flies when you're having fun. :D

Reaver

Staff
Time flies when you're having fun. :D

Truer words have yet to be spoken. Where have the years gone? Happily, I recently saw a quote that kinda puts it all in perspective:
“If you liked being a teenager, there's something really wrong with you.”
― Stephen King

Truer words have yet to be spoken. Where have the years gone? Happily, I recently saw a quote that kinda puts it all in perspective:
“If you liked being a teenager, there's something really wrong with you.”
― Stephen King

You could not pay me to be a teen again. Not a snowballs chance in hell.

You could not pay me to be a teen again. Not a snowballs chance in hell.

Haha I like being a teenager. I get to hang out with friends, not work, and do most everything I want to do on my parent's money. That being said, it bothers me when people say things like "Wait until you grow up and have real problems"

The reason it bothers me is that I think at whatever stage your life is in, your problems are just as real. The struggles teens have with relationships and school are just as important to them as the struggles adults might have with marriage or paying bills or parenthood. It is unfair to trivialize someone else's problems just because you think what you are going through is much worse.

By the way, that comment isn't aimed at anybody here.

Haha I like being a teenager. I get to hang out with friends, not work, and do most everything I want to do on my parent's money. That being said, it bothers me when people say things like "Wait until you grow up and have real problems"

The reason it bothers me is that I think at whatever stage your life is in, your problems are just as real. The struggles teens have with relationships and school are just as important to them as the struggles adults might have with marriage or paying bills or parenthood. It is unfair to trivialize someone else's problems just because you think what you are going through is much worse.

By the way, that comment isn't aimed at anybody here.

I agree, however, for some of us those years were crap. Literally.

What teens may or may not be going through ( I have a sister who is 14 ) is very real. No doubt it is important to that person.

But yeah, once you get to be our age 30's and up. You will understand what they mean by that. Problems still exist but, you no longer have mom and dad as a safety net.

Now it is up to you to provide for your family, make things work, smile even when you really just want to vomit. The effort is usually unnoticed and unappreciated.

That being said I would still take all that and much more over being subjected to my teens once again...

Of course, I moved out when I was 16 because I could not put up with a moments more of the crap that we called "home" but, that was just my own personal situation.

Every once in a while something happens and you handle the situation with all your skills and get a hug, a kiss, or a heartfelt thank you which makes it all worth while. :D When you watch your children grow up to become responsible citizens, mothers, fathers and, friends. Sometimes that is enough to make you thank a higher power for the gift of age.

Which brings me to my quote of the day: “We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.” Later the author was asked about this and he corrected himself and said “I decided the words were too conservative for me. We're not borrowing from our children, we're stealing from them--and it's not even considered to be a crime.”

If someone is enjoying that time of their life ( teens / young adult ) no one begrudges them that. However, they need to be aware that much bigger issues lurk just around the bend, and there is a generation about to come that is counting on them to get it right.

Last edited:
I understand that, but I think every stage of life needs to be cherished. I wouldn't trade my problems now for my problems in twenty years from now or my problems from six years ago because those problems are a part of my life, and I don't want to miss any of it.