• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Favourite quotes

Talmay

Acolyte
"Your entire universe will not be enough to make me guilty. You are the king of the Gods, Jupiter, the king of the stones and of the stars, the king of the waves of the sea. But you are not the king of men." - Orestes, The Flies by Jean-Paul Sartre

"It is a lovely language, but it takes a very long time to say anything in it, because we do not say anything in it, unless it is worth taking a long time to say, and to listen to." - Treebeard, The Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien

myrddin173

Maester
Yes I am rezzing this thread mostly because of Ravana's announcement of the RP Contest in the Machiavel: Ambition game. (Yes that is a shameless plug)

On to the quote
Just remember: you can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than with a 2x4 alone.
This of course is from Ravana, It just seems like something someone in my family would say.

Dreamer

Dreamer
I must say that one of my favorite quotes of all times has come from a movie, but has held strong in my heart when it comes to
my writing. On the movie "The Santa Clause" with Tim Allen the elf, Judy, tells him after he says he sees it but doesn't believe it:
"Seeing isn't believing, believing is seeing". To me this is so true. With each piece I create I tell myself this. I just love it!

So, so many. Most come from songs. The one in my sig, obviously, but here are some more:

"Just know I chose my own fate, I drove past the fork in the road and went straight." - Jay-Z

"If it's a broken part, replace it. If it's a broken arm, then brace it. If it's a broken heart, then face it." - Jason Mraz

Sam's whole speech to Frodo in Osgiliath in the movie version of Two Towers.

"All that we have to decide is what to do with the times given us."- Gandalf, Fellowship of the Ring. In the movie at least, can't remember if it was in the book.

"And even though you're fed up, you got to keep your head up"- Tupac

Music can turn a day of sun into the happiest of times, even the crappiest of rhymes can make it happen every time." - Truth Himself

"When I'm gone, just carry on. Don't mourn, rejoice every time you hear the sound of my voice."

Both of Em's verses in Renegades

Everything line from Lose Yourself, Sing for the Moment, and 'Til I Collapse- Eminem

A lot of others I can't say on these forums... damn rappers.

Reaver

Staff
"All right you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?"
-Ash in "Army of Darkness"

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov
"Fear is the emotion that tends to prevent us from doing things that never should have crossed our minds in the first place, and also the same one that keeps us from living every moment like it was meant to be."
-me
The rest of my favorites are too politically charged for this forum.

"I believe in the imagination. What I cannot see is infinitely more important than what I can see." ~Duane Michals~

"I doubt that the imagination can be suppressed. If you truly eradicated it in a child, he would grow up to be an eggplant."~Ursula K. Le Guin~

"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free." ~Michelangelo~

"If people don't laugh when you tell them your dreams, you are not dreaming big enough." ~My Dad~ *At least he always says this no idea who said it first.*

"Ariel, Will you get you head out of de clouds and back in de water where it belongs!" ~Sebastian the Crab~ The Little Mermaid.

Last edited:

myrddin173

Maester
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand."

-Michael Scott, The Warlock

"All right you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?"
-Ash in "Army of Darkness"
I love that movie. I absolutely do.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Gotta love the Bruce Campbell/Sam Raimi Evil Dead movies. Evil Dead 2 is my favorite, but Army of Darkness is also great.

Reaver

Staff
Army of darkness is a great movie. Definitely on my top ten of all time list. Evil Dead 2 is very cool too, but it's like a remake of Evil Dead. I mean, it's like Ash has amnesia or something. Didn't he recognize the cabin from the first movie?

Last edited:

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Army of darkness is a great movie. Definitely on my top ten of all time list. Evil Dead 2 is very cool too, but it's like a remake of Evil Dead. I mean, it's like Ash has amnesia or something. Didn't he recognize the cabin from the first movie?

Heh. Yeah, that's pretty hilarious. I always felt like Evil Dead 2 was the best of the three, but that could be because it was the first one I saw, and I was a fan of it for a few years before Army of Darkness came out, or before I ever saw the first Evil Dead.

myrddin173

Maester
“Writing is one of the few careers for which you essentially train yourself, the other two major ones being juggling and pickpocketing.”
― Maureen Johnson

This just made me laugh

Reaver

Staff
“Friends.
They aren’t any such thing as good friends or bad friends.
Maybe there are just friends.
People who stand by you when you're hurt and who helped you feel not so lonely.
Maybe there are worth being scared for and hoping for and living for.
Maybe worth dying for too.
If that what has to be.
No bad friends.
Only people you want.
Need to be with.
People who build their houses in your heart.”
Stephen King

“I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I aim with my eye.

I do not shoot with my hand; he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I shoot with my mind.

I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.
I kill with my heart.”
Stephen King, The Gunslinger

“Greatness is a transitory experience. It is never persistent. It depends in part upon the myth-making imagination of humankind. The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in. He must reflect what is projected upon him. And he must have a strong sense of the sardonic. This is what uncouples him from belief in his own pretensions. The sardonic is all that permits him to move within himself. Without this quality, even occasional greatness will destroy a man.”
-from Collected Sayings of Muad’Dib by the Princess Irulan

"Listen, when you love somebody, you're always in trouble. There's only two
things you can do about it: either stop loving 'em, or love 'em a whole lot
more.? --Sherman T. Potter M*A*S*H

Reaver

Staff
"Listen, when you love somebody, you're always in trouble. There's only two
things you can do about it: either stop loving 'em, or love 'em a whole lot
more.? --Sherman T. Potter M*A*S*H

I miss Colonel Potter and the M*A*S*H gang. Except for Charles Emerson Winchester the 3rd.