• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Free at Amazon

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
So, I put Goblins at the Gates up on a five day free promo, starting this morning. So, been on promo a bit over fifteen hours now and I have 435 downloads.

I'm not sure what to make of this and wonder if others have run such promos. For context, I did not bolster that with any sort of paid advertising. I announced in a Facebook group, here on MS, and on three other forums, including Kboards. 400 downloads feels high to me.

I'm aware most of those who download won't ever get around to reading the thing. I wonder, though, what percentage of those downloads represent bots from pirate sites that simply snag books when they are offered for free. Especially useful for stuffing. I'm not concerned about it, only idly curious.

What I'll be watching, over the next couple of weeks, is whether or not there's an uptick in subscriptions to my newsletter. That, really, is the purpose behind running the promo. And raising name awareness ahead of launching A Child of Great Promise.

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
Did you use up all your free days? Or do you still have some left?

I left KU back in October 2017 but have two perma-free titles. The greatest asset for free that I have discovered has been for series sell through. If you just have the one book then there isn't much elsewhere for those readers to go. You might get more reviews so that's also a bonus, but I would suggest waiting to do another free run until you have more books/new releases for readers to purchase.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Yeah, I wondered about the timing. A Child of Great Promise is going to be released on May 23, though that may have to slide to the 25th. My notion was that it would take readers a few days to get through the novel to the end-matter, by which time Child would be available. The reason why I did not run a promo before this is exactly why you said: I didn't have anything further to offer.

If all goes according to plan, Into the Second World will be out December or January. Then I'll have three novels with a fourth (The Falconer) in the works. After that one it's Three Castles and I'll have a freakin' franchise! (then it's Tuck the Unchosen, and then I'm less clear; several ideas lurk).

And thanks for the encouragement. I have no frame of reference for promos. Yesterday came to 451 and so far today it's 181. I'll be happy if even ten percent actually read the book.

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
It sounds like you have the right idea. Are you going to remain in KU? One thing I am planning on doing is creating bonus scenes that will only go out to my mailing list. Just another idea to keep your readers entertained while they wait on the next book.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I'm in KU for at least the release of A Child of Great Promise, so three more months. Then we'll see. There's a lot of noise on Kboards.

Bonus scenes? Who the devil has time to write bonus scenes? :)

But I hear you. My Altearth Chronicle newsletter always has a picture from the WIP, with some accompanying discussion. Then parallel articles--one Real History and one Altearth History--where I take an event and write about both. In the most recent issue, for example, I write about the Danelaw for Real History. The parallel article is about the Dragonlaw. An earlier one was about Richard the Lion-hearted, with the Altearth version being about Richard as a were-lion. That sort of thing.

Then, at the website, are longer articles that basically is all world-building stuff. I update about once a month with something. I've thought about putting sample chapters over there, but I hate putting up anything that is not publication-ready, by which time the book is all but ready for release. Still chewing on that one.

Do you feel that leaving KU was a good call, now a few months have passed?

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
Honestly, worldbuilding articles sound fantastically interesting. A good plan you got there! And it seems like your strategy going forward is deliberate and just needs time to pay out. I wish you all the luck. :D

Yeah going wide was a positive choice for my work. I have made more money wide and received more reviews since then. Never say never, right? But I might never do KU again. Pretty much guaranteed.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Honestly, worldbuilding articles sound fantastically interesting.
I'll second this.
The idea with doing an article about a real world historical thing and then mixing it up with an alt-earth version of the same thing is really good. :)

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Sign up for my newsletter. It's only every other month, so it won't get annoying, I promise!

Hm. That felt awkward. I do believe I may be shy about self-promotion. Gotta get past that!