• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Greetings!

Ophiucha

Auror
Hello, I am Ophiucha, or Alexandra Victoria if you prefer. I have been writing since I was... 12, maybe 11? I am turning 20 this year, in September. I am married to a wonderful man named Alexander (yes, I know), although we are not technically having our wedding until August. I used to attend the University of British Columbia, dual majoring in Art History and Linguistics, but chose to drop out simply out of lack of interest in pursuing degrees with no practical application to the jobs I could likely obtain. I may choose to go to culinary school, or get a certificate in editing, but for now I am acting as a housewife.

My passions outside of writing include gaming (consoles and handhelds, near exclusively), reading (obviously; I mostly read old, pre-Tolkienian fantasy, horror, and science fiction, as well as modern speculative fiction and literary fiction), spaghetti Westerns, b-movies, heavy metal, making fun of things I don't like, and cooking. I am particular good at the last one, though I have yet to consider it as a career mostly because I am a dreadfully picky eater. I can make a mean buttered mushroom-stuffed grilled chicken (soaked in a tomato sauce for eight hours) with a side of steamed vegetables (with a light mushroom-chicken cream) which is apparently quite delicious, according to everyone who has eaten it, but lord knows I think it's disgusting. Why ruin a delicious piece of chicken with mushrooms? :p

Still, my passion is writing. I have been working on the same project for three years, only pausing for short stories really. I have improved greatly since I started, and am hesitant to ever declare it 'done' simply because I don't think I have reached the peak of my abilities, and this project is my baby. I know many an author who would call their inability to say something is done is their greatest downfall, and I think I fall into that category. Anyway, I write dark fantasy, usually with some science fiction and horror elements. I take a great amount of influence from Mervyn Peake, E.R. Eddison, China Miéville, and perhaps somewhat peculiarly, Cormac McCarthy. I generally avoid flowery prose save for the times when it is most grotesque in favor of a more to-the-point minimalism, and the themes and stylistic choices I make are generally more influenced by Vladimir Nabokov than they are Tolkien or anyone in that crew.

Alexandra Victoria....that's a really pretty name! :) Welcome to the boards! Looking forward to reading some of you work. Always good to meet another weaver!

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Welcome Alexandra!

You are the first fantasy writer whom I've encountered who lists Cormac McCarthy as an influence. Very cool! :cool:

Welcome, Alexandra! My sojourn through the forum is rather intermittent at present, so I'm not always sure who's new and who isn't. Apologies for the belated welcome, and I hope you make yourself at home.:D