• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Greetings!

Queen Medb

Acolyte
Decided to finally join after months of lurking. Hope everyone is doing well, I really enjoy the forums on the site and they've been immensely helpful since I discovered it.

I'm currently working on a fantasy/sci-fi novel that is at least 7 or 8 years in the making. I'm 220 pages in, a little before halfway through, and I have everything planned out. I wrote it when I was 14, but I've rewritten it and improved upon it three times since (just turned 22 recently). Thankfully- considering my young age at the time- it has evolved into something almost completely different than its first inception. I think I am finally close to a true rough-draft of my work. Look forward to participating here :)

Chilari

Staff
That's dedication. But yeah, I'd be worried if it was too similar to how it was when you were 14, if what I wrote when I was 14 is anything to go by (and I'm similar in age to you, so speak from a similar vantage point). Oh god now I'm having flashbacks to what I was writing when I was 14. Get me out of here!

Welcome to the ranks of the posting Mythic Scriblers.

Welcome to the Scribes. I was 14 when I first started my book, sigh, still working on it. Anyhoo, I suppose you already know where the coffee machine is.

Chilari

Staff
Coffee machine? First your not-so-secret mead stash (the disappearance of which I still maintain is down to Reaver) and now there's a coffee machine nobody told me about?

Not like I drink coffee except when I'm falling asleep at work anyway, but still. Is it a proper coffee machine? Can you do frothed milk on it? Cause I like hot chocolate and the best way is with frothed milk and I know how to do that spot on. Or at least, I did five years ago.

Coffee machine? First your not-so-secret mead stash (the disappearance of which I still maintain is down to Reaver) and now there's a coffee machine nobody told me about?

Not like I drink coffee except when I'm falling asleep at work anyway, but still. Is it a proper coffee machine? Can you do frothed milk on it? Cause I like hot chocolate and the best way is with frothed milk and I know how to do that spot on. Or at least, I did five years ago.

Sure, it does everything. You should ask Klee Shay about it, its probably on his "secret things to look for" list.

Reaver

Staff

Am I still to blame for the disappearance of the mead? Let it be known that Chilari drank all the hot chocolate and coffee and well...Welcome to Mythic Scribes, Queen Medb. I'd offer you something to drink, but apparently we don't have anything...they don't call him Aidan of the Tavern because he's good at darts. In fact, I'm still not sure how he even got into the party. :tongue:

Last edited:

Chilari

Staff
I don't even like coffee! I have to have 3 sugars in it just to make it bearable enough to drink! Besides, I didn't see anyone else but you singing songs about how wonderful mead was at the moderator party.

There's squash, nobody stole that. Well, they stole the apple and blackcurrant, but not the orange.

Klee Shay

Troubadour
Sure, it does everything. You should ask Klee Shay about it, its probably on his "secret things to look for" list.

I did find a wooden door, but somebody, (possibly Aidan of the Tavern, I didn't really see) threw a bunch of arrows at it when I tried to open it. Maybe the coffee is in there.

Welcome, Queen Medb.

Reaver

Staff
I don't even like coffee! I have to have 3 sugars in it just to make it bearable enough to drink! Besides, I didn't see anyone else but you singing songs about how wonderful mead was at the moderator party.

There's squash, nobody stole that. Well, they stole the apple and blackcurrant, but not the orange.

Okay, fine...I'll admit that I had more than my fair share of mead if you'll admit that you did in fact drink all the hot chocolate...But I have to know...if you didn't drink the cofee then who...Ah, I think I know the culprit. I'll give you a hint: Rhymes with smegendlary tiedbrick. :D

San Cidolfus

Troubadour
Greetings and salutations, Queen Medb. It seems you struck a chord with that novel-started-at-fourteen bit. I had one of those, too. Aggravating thing kept growing every time I thought I'd finished it. A standalone book spawned a sequel, which turned into a trilogy, which demanded rewrites before morphing into an even bigger headache. It's good to hear you're that close to finishing yours. Just keep holding it by the throat and don't let it squiggle away. Buggers can squirm if you let 'em.

I did find a wooden door, but somebody, (possibly Aidan of the Tavern, I didn't really see) threw a bunch of arrows at it when I tried to open it. Maybe the coffee is in there.

Welcome, Queen Medb.

Hmmm, wasn't me, you must have found another secret door. The coffee machine is actually just inside the Chit-Chat lounge.

Chilari

Staff
There an't any secret doors. How many times do I have to tell you? No secrets, no secret doors. The doors that exist are by no means secret. All of Aiden's fearmongering to the contrary are entirely ficticious and, indeed, an attempt to undermine my authority. The golden orb of night hides behind the bank of water. Let the one with the correct answer approach the window of secrecy.

Reaver

Staff
Chilari is telling the truth. There are ABSOLUTELY no secret portals of any kind here. End of story.

Chilari

Staff
To clarify: Reaver meant portals in the obsolete sense meaning doors, gates, entrances, exits, or any other kind of gap within a wall, hedge or other kind of boundary; he does not mean magical specifically, though there are also no magical, or for that matter, scientific portals of a secretive nature. For portals of a non-secretive nature, I suggest the Valve games.
(1.4.1) (1.8.4) (2.1.2) (2.5.3) (1.6.1) (2.6.1) (1.5.2) (1.25.2) (1.29.1)

Reaver

Staff
To clarify: Reaver meant portals in the obsolete sense meaning doors, gates, entrances, exits, or any other kind of gap within a wall, hedge or other kind of boundary; he does not mean magical specifically, though there are also no magical, or for that matter, scientific portals of a secretive nature. For portals of a non-secretive nature, I suggest the Valve games.
(1.4.1) (1.8.4) (2.1.2) (2.5.3) (1.6.1) (2.6.1) (1.5.2) (1.25.2) (1.29.1)

Thank you for clarifying that, Chilari.:Smile:

Queen Medb

Acolyte
Greetings and salutations, Queen Medb. It seems you struck a chord with that novel-started-at-fourteen bit. I had one of those, too. Aggravating thing kept growing every time I thought I'd finished it. A standalone book spawned a sequel, which turned into a trilogy, which demanded rewrites before morphing into an even bigger headache. It's good to hear you're that close to finishing yours. Just keep holding it by the throat and don't let it squiggle away. Buggers can squirm if you let 'em.

Thanks :) Yeah I have spurts of productivity, spurts of being distracted by anything and everything!