1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Hand Writing Day

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Svrtnsse, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Svrtnsse

Svrtnsse Staff Article Team

Ahoy scribes!

My friend Kat is doing a series of daily videos about what to celebrate each day. Turns out today is National Hand Writing Day, and I figured I should try and alert you all to it, seeing as this writing thing is something we all take some kind of interest in.

You can read a little more about the history of the celebration here: National Handwriting Day celebrates penmanship - CNN.com

...and the video my friend did (yes, I'm shamelessly promoting her work without her even asking me to), is here:

I normally do all my writing on my laptop, but I have a dear friend to whom (OMG! whom, and probably misused too) I occasionally write by hand. It's kind of refreshing, and I might just go write another letter just for the sake of it.

You go write someone a letter too now you hear. Okay!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2017
    Heliotrope likes this.
  2. skip.knox

skip.knox toujours gai, archie Moderator

I've posted before about the benefits of writing by hand. But this time, your post brought to mind a recent episode of Portlandia in which the young, hipster couple was supposed to write a hand-written letter. They couldn't form letters, didn't know how to hold a pen. It was pretty funny.

Heliotrope likes this.
  3. Heliotrope

Heliotrope Staff Article Team

Skip that is funny!

I do worry about this. I teach middle school and more and more work is being done on the computer. Kids just aren't practicing printing skills like they used to. I use the computer a lot and find my hand gets much tireder more quickly than it used to.

However, I do ALL my outlining, character bios, notes and setting notes in hand. I find that my creative mind works much better when I write things in hand. I have an intense binder filled with all my character bios, setting, notes etc that looks fairly similar to one of my student's binders.

I wish I could post pics of my storyboard lol. It is a work of art.

4. This is massacre the English language day for me. I think I would be better served just to dip a chicken's feet in ink and let it walk across the page.

Heliotrope likes this.