• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hand Writing Day

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Ahoy scribes!

My friend Kat is doing a series of daily videos about what to celebrate each day. Turns out today is National Hand Writing Day, and I figured I should try and alert you all to it, seeing as this writing thing is something we all take some kind of interest in.

You can read a little more about the history of the celebration here: National Handwriting Day celebrates penmanship - CNN.com

...and the video my friend did (yes, I'm shamelessly promoting her work without her even asking me to), is here:

I normally do all my writing on my laptop, but I have a dear friend to whom (OMG! whom, and probably misused too) I occasionally write by hand. It's kind of refreshing, and I might just go write another letter just for the sake of it.

You go write someone a letter too now you hear. Okay!

Last edited by a moderator:

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I've posted before about the benefits of writing by hand. But this time, your post brought to mind a recent episode of Portlandia in which the young, hipster couple was supposed to write a hand-written letter. They couldn't form letters, didn't know how to hold a pen. It was pretty funny.

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
Skip that is funny!

I do worry about this. I teach middle school and more and more work is being done on the computer. Kids just aren't practicing printing skills like they used to. I use the computer a lot and find my hand gets much tireder more quickly than it used to.

However, I do ALL my outlining, character bios, notes and setting notes in hand. I find that my creative mind works much better when I write things in hand. I have an intense binder filled with all my character bios, setting, notes etc that looks fairly similar to one of my student's binders.

I wish I could post pics of my storyboard lol. It is a work of art.