• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Have you been impacted by the Great Recession?

Metalfist

Dreamer
We run a bike shop. Ironically, when the economic crap hits the proverbial fan, bike shops do really well. Bicycles are largely recession-proof. They can be used as an affordable means of transportation in times of need.... which we are seeing more of this year, and can be used recreationally to forget about your troubles for awhile. We've had our best year in twenty years, and each year goes from strength to strength. Here in Canada things aren't as bad as they are in the United States. We watch American news and shake our heads at the way things are done south of the border. The political system is the strangest of all. And what's with all of this "feet, inches, pounds and gallons" stuff? ;)

We watch American news and shake our heads at the way things are done south of the border. The political system is the strangest of all. And what's with all of this "feet, inches, pounds and gallons" stuff? ;)

OK 2 things, First off I totaly agree our political system is in the crapper. It was a good idea, but like all ideas it needs a serious re-think.

Secondly What is with the "new" math? Kilometers, Liters, blah blah ...

The rest of the world should fall in line, the standard system is so easy... ya'lls is wacked out. ;)

We run a bike shop. Ironically, when the economic crap hits the proverbial fan, bike shops do really well. Bicycles are largely recession-proof. They can be used as an affordable means of transportation in times of need.... which we are seeing more of this year, and can be used recreationally to forget about your troubles for awhile. We've had our best year in twenty years, and each year goes from strength to strength. Here in Canada things aren't as bad as they are in the United States. We watch American news and shake our heads at the way things are done south of the border. The political system is the strangest of all. And what's with all of this "feet, inches, pounds and gallons" stuff? ;)

I hear ya. Born and raised in the U.S., but I wish to hell we used metric for everything. I'm trying to train myself to think in kilograms and kilometers instead of pounds and miles, but it's hard to get used to it after thirty-odd years.

However I've had all my clocks on 24-hour time for about 20 years now, and I wish everyone else would get with the program. 12-hour time is for chumps.

Fnord

Troubadour
I have a completely unsupported hypothesis that part of the reason our kids are falling behind in math and science in the U.S. is because we use a thoroughly illogical and unwieldy system of measurement.

I remember back in the day when they tried to "convert us" as if we were some 'misguided pagan religion' that needed to "see the light".

It failed miserably and thankfuly that was the last we heard of it. :)

I'll keep our miles, gallons etc. I like em.

While I am accustomed to miles, inches, pounds and other nice familiar units of measurement, the metric system is simpler. If you do any form of science, they use the metric system, because it was designed over organically grown. :D

For fantasy, meters don't really fit...

Just don't mess with my temperature...there is nothing wrong with fahrenheit.

While I am accustomed to miles, inches, pounds and other nice familiar units of measurement, the metric system is simpler. If you do any form of science, they use the metric system, because it was designed over organically grown. :D

For fantasy, meters don't really fit...
Just don't mess with my temperature...there is nothing wrong with fahrenheit.

Right on brother :) Two thumbs waaaaay up!

No...I think I could get a nice agreement from most people, that would require far bigger numbers than most of us would want to write out.

The morning was a pleasant two hundred and ninety seven degrees Kelvin as he walked out the door.

Not saying there is anything wrong with Kelvin, I just find seventy five is easier to write.

No...I think I could get a nice agreement from most people, that would require far bigger numbers than most of us would want to write out.

The morning was a pleasant two hundred and ninety seven degrees Kelvin as he walked out the door.

Not saying there is anything wrong with Kelvin, I just find seventy five is easier to write.

Well, it's shorter, and you're used to it. If we'd all grown up using kelvins we'd all be totally used to it, and the idea of using Fahrenheit would be weeeeeird. :)

Fnord

Troubadour

You make a fine point!