• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Having trouble

Burst

Scribe
I am having trouble writing my first ever novel's draft. The words aren't coming out like I want them too. Maybe it's because it's 12:18 in the morning... I don't know, but it's really frustrating. Has anyone had this problem? What did you do to overcome it?

Chilari

Staff
This is normal. Every writer experiences this at some point, and generally more than once. Don't stress about it.

To overcome it, you first have to work out what the problem is - why it is you're struggling. Is the plot not working? Does it feel like the characters wouldn't act in this way? Is the scene you're trying to write boring? Have you written yourself into a corner?

One of the solutions you could try which probably will solve most of those problems is to outline. Now you can either do this from scratch and work out the whole plot and characters, or you can take a step back to the previous scene and just write down what you want to achieve in this scene and afterwards, not as prose, but as a description of what will happen - eg "Bob wants Amy to give him the pendant and first tries to persuade her then tries to grab it from her. She pushes him in the face and runs away." - except in more detail than that. If you've written yourself into a corner you can't get your characters out of, it might be best to go back a few scenes and start again from a point at which you can write your characters into shallower trouble that they can get out of.

I find when I get stuck, just writing down my thoughts of what should happen, why, what it leads to, what events have fed into it, and how these events are going to inpact on the characters, helps me to work out what went wrong and how to fix it.

Good luck with your first ever novel!

ArielFingolfin

Troubadour
First of all, make sure what you see in your head is clear. You can't write something if you can't see it clearly. Secondly I'd say just start writing. Even if you only write a line of dialogue for one scene and then jump to the next, even if it's completely horrible. You can always change it, but eventually it will start to pick up; sometimes you just have to grit your teeth and struggle through until you get some momentum. Also you might try doing an outline.

You mentioned always writing at night. Maybe try different times and different places? I sometimes have trouble writing at home and have to go to the library or a coffee shop or the lake by my house.

Just don't give up; starting is one of the hardest things (finishing is another btw), but like I said, once you get moving it'll get easier.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
This depends a lot on exactly what the problem is. I used to get discouraged a lot when I felt like what I was writing was crap. The solution was to give myself permission for the first draft to completely suck. Now it's a lot easier. If I get stuck for a description, I write ///describe the scene/// and move on. I'll fix it when I edit.

It's the same reason why people can't reproduce the picture they see in their head the first time they try to draw something--it's the first time. It takes time to develop the skills you need to make that translation. So in your head you may see the novel equivalent of a Rembrandt painting, and on paper you may see the novel equivalent of a smiley face. Over time, what's on paper will get closer to what's in your head.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Don't worry you're not alone in the boat. Depending on what your problems are, there are different things to try. Here's how I deal with strictly plot related problems, just moving the story along. First I have to know what kind of scene it is I'm writing. I used this method called Scenes and Sequels as part of how I fit things together.

Here are a couple of links explaining what each is by Dresden files author Jim Butcher.
jimbutcher: SCENES
jimbutcher: SEQUELS

If you use this IMHO you'll get a story with a coherent plot. Now, how good that story is, well, that's a totally different thing. But hopefully this will get you going.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
It's the same reason why people can't reproduce the picture they see in their head the first time they try to draw something--it's the first time. It takes time to develop the skills you need to make that translation. So in your head you may see the novel equivalent of a Rembrandt painting, and on paper you may see the novel equivalent of a smiley face. Over time, what's on paper will get closer to what's in your head.

This I think is the crux of your problem. When I look back at things I wrote many years ago, all I can see are plot holes, repetitive words, and info dumps. I hope you find your stride before you've written ten novels which need HEAVY editing like me, but if not, it doesn't matter. Just keep going and when you do have the skills you need, you can go back and start cleaning up. It will help you if you try to write consistently, like every day for a couple hours. As ideas start flowing, and you get more practice, it will be easier to write it right the first time.

Also, don't hesitate to post something for us to comment on. People here are pretty willing to help. If you don't find what you need there, consider posting to find a critique partner. It is a lot easier to learn when someone else is commenting on what doesn't work for them reading it.

Best wishes. I hope you find a way to get past this setback. Just know you are not alone.

gavintonks

Maester
choose better words,unpack why.
itemize emotion as they bring the correct words
go back and plan, unpack the chapter and what you are trying to achieve, have a hot bath and come back to it