• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hellos Peoples

JRFLynn

Sage
Well, I have to admit this is my first time on any kind of writing forum. I've always been very shy about sharing my work or asking for advice since I don't have much experience. I've been working on my debut book off and on over the past few years but now I'm really motivated to finish something for once! >:D I think I'll feel a lot more confident once I have at least one book under my belt, but it's been a long and arduous process. I had to scrap my last draft because it didn't sit right with me, I can't really explain why, but I had written up to 400 pages. Crazy, right? Even now my perfectionist side is giving me hell and I'm only on chapter 5, but hopefully some fresh insight will encourage me to persevere over this constant self-doubt.

Anyway, my hobbies are writing, painting, dabbling with the violin (if the neighbors aren't home), and I'm currently a student majoring in medical coding. Honestly, being an author has been my childhood dream but I'm afraid to commit. I've never thought of writing as a feasible career, more of a therapeutic outlet. If it weren't for my husband I probably would've shrugged my shoulders and given up on my hope a long time ago, so here I am bashing away at the keyboard lol.

That's my story /rambleoff :)

Sioranth

Dreamer
Hello! I totally bite but I hardly ever bite strangers. :) I'm a medical transcriptionist and I've thought about going into coding myself at some point, but I really enjoy working in my pajamas at home. lol

SeverinR

Vala
Only crazy people think writing is a "feasable career". Welcome to the insane asylum.
It is no career, it has to be a passion or obcession to write anything, the chances of making a living at it is very low.
But we all case the dream.

I maintain:
Write for fame and profit, you will fail many, many times.
Write for your entertainment and you win every time. If others like it thats just gravy, if the people that have the money want to print it for many to read, that is the sweet deserts. Enjoy the meal, no matter what it is.

Welcome jump in, the water is fine.

JRFLynn

Sage
Thanks, you're absolutely right. I used to get so bent out of shape at whether my book sounds "right", if people will like it, and that destructive line of thinking caused me undue amount of stress. Now it's like, "phew, whatever". It reminds me of poor Poe dying penniless, though his work is now hailed as the holy grail (in my opinion) right next to Shakespeare, Homer, etc. Yeah, I doubt I'll ever be as famous as Stephen King, hehe, but I think part of the reason they're so recognized today is because of their eloquence and passion for storytelling.

Last edited:

SeverinR

Vala
Merely changing the objective will make all the difference in this field.

The idiots probably don't know a good work from a dung heap, but there might be one out there that might have an inkling of what great work they hold in their hands. It is an authors job to polish their work endlessly and find that one person that believes our work is gold. (always polish the work, because the majority could be right.)

Lumani

Minstrel
Hello! :D I am new here as well, but i'm finding it to be a lovely place! Hope to see you around the other threads sometime :)