• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hey to all

Bee

Dreamer
Hey there to everyone, just reaching out to find places with like minded people and came across this forum. I'm 32 but wrote my first story when I was 12, the writing in the following years has been generally sporadic but I have kept coming back to it. My stepmother actually halted my writing by saying I should ignore it because no-one would read it and my formerly low self esteemed self listened and as such many projects lay in pads for around 10 years. I started writing properly again in my early 20s and have written on off since then while juggling life and unusual jobs (including fraud department in a bank and falconer in a zoo).

It is only really in the last few years that I have given my writing any real thought, I went into a period of overdrive in July when inspiration just suddenly grabbed me for a new book, abandoned everything else I was writing and started a fantasy comedy. It took 42 days to write (109,551 words long) never written anything at that speed before, and I enjoyed it so much I just carried straight on, I hope to finish the third in the series within the next few days and have a few friends reading to see what they think and everything so far has been positive, which has really surprised me as I haven't ever really tried to have anyone read anything (never thought anything would be good enough). My fiancée started reading it (she is a poet with a few publications in anthologies). She enjoyed it enough to say I should actually start trying to get things out there, which in turn has led me here. I hope a few people take some time to read this post, my style is absolute fantasy comedy, conversation heavy (I like the characters to do the talking rather the narrator, you find things out along with them) and have been told that I do people well.

I have a facebook page for my writing now as well. https://www.facebook.com/davebeefantasyworks?fref=ts

GeekDavid

Auror
Welcome to the gang!

Don't listen to the naysayers (even those you may find around here), you just write what you write. If it's any good, there's probably a market for it somewhere.

Pull up a chair and join in a discussion somewhere. Just check the chair for cats or halflings first, neither one really appreciates being sat upon.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hello Bee
Welcome to Mythic Scribes.
I met someone who worked in the fraud department of a bank - he was paid [by the bank] to plan robberies for a living... That wasn't you?
Medium build, dark hair, mask, carried a bag marked "Swag"?

Bee

Dreamer
Gadzooks I has been rumbled! Don't tell anyone, I think we got away with it...

siravery

Dreamer
Hello Dave. Great to hear you are working hard in your craft. Keep it up! Would like to read some of your stories. Can I view them anywhere?

Bee

Dreamer
I have a few segments on my likeable facebook page (link is in the signature). Once the grammatical check is done I could see about a full file.

siravery

Dreamer
Hi Dave. I just "liked" your page. Where are you located? Also, do you have any published material in print I can look at?