• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hi Everyone

Dakkle

Dreamer
Hi everyone, it's great to meet you all. I've been trying to write a novel for ages but never manage to get past the first few pages, but since getting signed off of work figured this was the perfect opportunity to really put the effort in and work on one. My love for fantasy begain with the Redwall books when I was a teenager (which I still love today) and then later with the Dritz Do'Urden books, Diskworld and Robert Rankin.

aderyn

Scribe
Welcome Dakkle. I think it takes persistence to get your novel finished. I've made a commitment to write at least 100 words every day. Of course sometimes I write more, but I'm sticking to it, so slowly my novel is progressing ;)

Dakkle

Dreamer
At the moment I'm just doing writing exercises while I research just to get back into the habit of writing again. I usually just go charging in and start writing and don't get anywhere, so a full plot, and research before I make a start this time.

Welcome.

I have something that works for me for getting the first draft done. Never Go Back. Not until you reach the end of the story. Doesn't matter if it's crap, that can be fixed in the second draft.

Sent from my Blade using Forum Runner

Giant

Minstrel
Welcome to the site. I agree with Sashamerideth. Just keep writing, if you keep going back and edit every few pages, it really slows down the progress. For me it is more important just to get my ideas down; then I go back through them later, when they are not so fresh in my mind, and see if I still like them.

Hey dude, welcome to the gathering of the minds. Listen to the wise words of Sashamerideth, stick with the crap, give it hell, don't give up, then go back again and make it all beautiful;)

SlimShady

Troubadour
Welcome. And as for writing a novel I agree with everyone else. Force yourself to write a set number of words every day. It might be garbage, but that's what a second draft is for. Looking forward to see what ideas you have.

Dakkle

Dreamer
Thanks for the advice everyone. I've made a start, I'm not too sure about the beginning now but I'm going to keep going. I've also got character bio's for the lead, and two other central characters. I've got one more to write and I've already got a solid enough idea of them so that shouldn't take to long to write.

fleamailman

Closed Account
("...wish I could help you then..." went the goblin knowing that his inability to write like those humans did rather prevented him from offering much advice here, so instead he just looked out across the cold star-lit night's sky in a sense of waiting, that dragging of time then, till finally he just ventured "...if you can't write at length just write in your posts instead, yet each post you do must be to a benchmark of self incorporating little bibs and bobs of your story in its background...", perhaps the goblin was thinking upon the line take care of the pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves here, where his feeling was more take care of the posts and the works will evolve their own accord adding "...ah, but how thoughtless of me now, for I have forgotten to welcome you properly here...", and with that the goblin voiced loud into the air "...make room for one more amongst us, the password is as goes my posts so goes me..." as the forum doors opened upon them now, "...you'll stay for tea won't you human, I mean we do so lavish attention upon those new to us now...", whereupon the goblin slipped back into the observing night once more, somehow his type just came and went with ease)

Last edited: