• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hi, friends! Okay I just got through...

Krizzirk

Minstrel
I just got through a few fantasy books, and all of them have maps drawn for its settings. This is really cool! It's giving me good feelings. I think doing the worldbuilding gonna be really fun!

Think Tolkien may have started that trend, but don't take my word for it. Mapping out your world is still a pretty cool thing to do, if you have the skills or a map maker to use. Given how much travel is often involved in fantasy, a map of where your characters are touring (and/or being ambushed by Evil Dudes) helps give some grounding in it.

And there's more to world building then just the maps. I, for one, especially enjoy creating foods and the cultures that surround them. Not the only one within the forum, but one I really like.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
What do you mean, got through?

Gonna be honest, I have never met anyone who seems as un-versed in fantasy, as some of your current topics suggest, and that includes people who would say fantasy is not their thing. I am questioning if this can be real.

But, yes, many fantasy books have maps. Many fantasy readers look for them.

Krizzirk

Minstrel
I just said I dont have exp in writing fantasy like how a pro does

I meant, skimming, like just, see all the pages,

Krizzirk

Minstrel
Theres virtually no epic fantasy writer, in English at least, in my country. All my fiction reading exp have gone towards comic books and manga. I did try a few attempts to write fantasy but i thought they were boring, but now, not anymore, I feel like Im being drawn into it

Krizzirk

Minstrel
Malaysia

Theres virtually no epic fantasy writer, in English at least, afaik, in my country. All my fiction reading exp have gone towards comic books and manga. I did try a few attempts to write fantasy but i thought they were boring, but now, not anymore, I feel like Im being drawn into it

If you’re not a reader and want to read some fantasy books (originally) written in English, you would probably be better off starting with easier to read ones such as The Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis, Eragon by Paolini and Harry Potter by Rowling, maybe The Hobbit by Tolkien depending on your reading level.

You don’t need to be a reader in order to write, sure, however I think it would probably help you to see how prose is formed, and how writing can be done successfully. All of those books I’ve cited were originally intended for a younger audience and so the language is much less laborious to understand than Lord of the Rings is for example.

I think there 2 main reasons you find maps in many fantasy novels (besides the fact that Tolkien had them and that maps are cool, which is all the reasons you need of course).

The first is that fantasy stories often play in a different world. If I write in a real world setting, and I mention a character travelling to New York, then all my readers will know roughly where it is and have an idea of what that journey would mean. This is simply not the case in a fantasy world. There you have strange place names no one has heard about. Just to have some context of the country many writers use a map when writing and offer that to the reader as a guide.

The second is that a lot of epic fantasy stories tell tales on a larger scale that often involve travelling. If you have 2 countries at war, it helps knowing where those countries are. And if you have a character travel from Rivendell to Mount Doom, then it's nice to have an idea what that journey looks like. That sort of thing.

Krizzirk

Minstrel
I think there 2 main reasons you find maps in many fantasy novels (besides the fact that Tolkien had them and that maps are cool, which is all the reasons you need of course).

The first is that fantasy stories often play in a different world. If I write in a real world setting, and I mention a character travelling to New York, then all my readers will know roughly where it is and have an idea of what that journey would mean. This is simply not the case in a fantasy world. There you have strange place names no one has heard about. Just to have some context of the country many writers use a map when writing and offer that to the reader as a guide.

The second is that a lot of epic fantasy stories tell tales on a larger scale that often involve travelling. If you have 2 countries at war, it helps knowing where those countries are. And if you have a character travel from Rivendell to Mount Doom, then it's nice to have an idea what that journey looks like. That sort of thing.
Thats a very good way to put it, it makes sense more to me now

For me honestly I just love maps, they’re beautiful. Do I care about accuracy? ‘This river shouldn’t go there and such’ - not one bit. If I open a new fantasy or historical fiction book and there is a map it just delights me. Simple as that.

Krizzirk

Minstrel
I can see that too, I can tell. It always gives me vibes of wonder as if I am in that world, it gives immersive fondness

I can see that too, I can tell. It always gives me vibes of wonder as if I am in that world, it gives immersive fondness
Yes that’s a good way to describe maps, they’re immersive. You can refer back to them once you’re more familiar with the world too.