• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Holy time warp Batman!

You know, this provides an opportunity for a good question. Do you dream of electric sheep?

I never thought that question made any sense. People don't dream about sheep (or at least, not more than incidentally). People count sheep to go to sleep.

So a better question would be, "Do androids count electric sheep?" And the answer is: of course not! The number of electric sheep in the world is zero, therefore there are no opportunities to count them.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I never thought that question made any sense. People don't dream about sheep (or at least, not more than incidentally). People count sheep to go to sleep.

So a better question would be, "Do androids count electric sheep?" And the answer is: of course not! The number of electric sheep in the world is zero, therefore there are no opportunities to count them.

That's not what the title refers to. Because of what people have done to the world, animals are rare. People dream of being able to own a live animal, but most can't so they buy an inferior electric animal instead. It's basically a status symbol. The MC who is supposed to go around retiring androids had a real sheep, but now he can only afford an electric one (if even that, I can't recall, but I think he has an electric animal at the beginning). I think one thing he is working toward is being able to afford another live animal.

So it is really more like whether androids have the same feelings and aspirations as humans.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Steerpike said:
So it is really more like whether androids have the same feelings and aspirations as humans.

Ben, from my understanding you would be uniquely capable of informing us on this issue.

That's not what the title refers to. Because of what people have done to the world, animals are rare. People dream of being able to own a live animal, but most can't so they buy an inferior electric animal instead. It's basically a status symbol. The MC who is supposed to go around retiring androids had a real sheep, but now he can only afford an electric one (if even that, I can't recall, but I think he has an electric animal at the beginning). I think one thing he is working toward is being able to afford another live animal.

I get the metaphor, I just thought that it was a reference to the standard sleep/sheep meme. I think I read the original story a long time ago, but I don't remember it.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I get the metaphor, I just thought that it was a reference to the standard sleep/sheep meme. I think I read the original story a long time ago, but I don't remember it.

Yeah, it has been a while. And on top of that, didn't they take that element out of the movie? I can't remember that either - maybe the electric animals were in there; it has been too long since I saw it. I need to watch it again.

Also, I just found out KW Jeter wrote three novels that are sequels to the movie. Wonder if those are good.

Reaver

Staff
Yeah, it has been a while. And on top of that, didn't they take that element out of the movie? I can't remember that either - maybe the electric animals were in there; it has been too long since I saw it. .

As far as I can recall, there's only one scene with an "electric" animal. It's when Deckard meets Rachael for the first time, there is a synthetic owl.

Last edited by a moderator: