• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How can I mesh two worlds together?

Lightryu68

Dreamer
I want to know how I can mesh two worlds together. I have a rough Idea but I would like some thoughts from others.
The two worlds are as follows: The medieval world of Fantasy such as Lord of the rings and Earagon. The other the modern world as a young man comes to find that he and his friends are the only hope for the world and even the universe.

The idea I had is that the young man. Gets hold of a book and is reading it and it tells the history of the world. By the time the young man realizes that the book is actual history (he thinks its fictional). He is immersed in the war that is being fought for over centuries of time.
Thanks for you comments and thoughts
Wow sorry I think I placed this in the wrong forum thread.

Last edited:

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I kinda don't get the question. Are you asking how to make the worlds similar? How to show that he's in the same world both in the past and future? I'd suggest landmarks, mountains, one particularly unique one like Devil's Tower, or something like that.

If you're asking about how to connect them physically, maybe use a gate of some sort. Could be a cave, a fairy circle, etc. imagination is your only limitation there.

So are you saying that the past world is going to feature by him retelling it as opposed to him time travelling? If so then thats fine, but if you are going to be switching to the viewpoints of the characters in the past world then do it early on. If you don't bring in their story till later then it could be a jolt for the reader if they've just settled into the modern world.

Graylorne

Archmage
Parallel universes. The book is the key to a hole in the wall between both. Only if he wants to go back, he has to find other books to return here (or somewhere else again...). Just a thought, of course.

Lightryu68

Dreamer
To start
My main character is reading a book that is fiction the classic elves dragons and magic ect. Then the main character is thrown head on into this fiction and is told that the book he is reading is not just a simple fairy tale but it is the real history of the world. Now what I am trying to figure out is how to put classic sword fighting and armor and magic to the modern day society of cars and guns.

Saigonnus

Auror
Think perhaps that just him travelling back in time alters the future so that when he returns it's more dystopic, then it was when he left. The governments are corrupt and control most natural resources so the "regular" people just don't have the resources necessary to manufacture guns (only those in government or law enforcement have them). They do however have secret mines for iron and secretly forge weapons and armor like was used in the medieval times and keep arsenals here and there for the time when it will be necessary to fight.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
If that is the real history of the world and there has been a covert war going on for centuries, it makes sense that the factions fighting in that war are going to avail themselves of the best weapons and defenses they can. If this all takes place in the same world, why would anyone use a bunch of knights with sword when machine guns and RPGs exist in the same world?

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Sounds a little like the secret war between Vamps and Werewolves from the Underworld movies. Maybe not some of the best movies ever made but you can probably steal some ideas from there.

Helen

Inkling
I want to know how I can mesh two worlds together. I have a rough Idea but I would like some thoughts from others.
The two worlds are as follows: The medieval world of Fantasy such as Lord of the rings and Earagon. The other the modern world as a young man comes to find that he and his friends are the only hope for the world and even the universe.

The idea I had is that the young man. Gets hold of a book and is reading it and it tells the history of the world. By the time the young man realizes that the book is actual history (he thinks its fictional). He is immersed in the war that is being fought for over centuries of time.
Thanks for you comments and thoughts
Wow sorry I think I placed this in the wrong forum thread.

Sounds like "Neverending Story."

The kid is facing bullies, reads a book that takes him into a fantasy world, monsters are defeated and when he puts the book down the bullies are dealt with too.

Watch it. Maybe you can get some ideas from there.

It's a well travelled trope to be honest. Even Mark Twain was in on the act with A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court (that was MT wasn't it?); The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe et al...millions. But as has been suggested above, don't bring them into this time with old weapons...swords and spears don't do well against guns (unless wielded by ewoks).

Lightryu68

Dreamer
Think perhaps that just him travelling back in time alters the future so that when he returns it's more dystopic, then it was when he left. The governments are corrupt and control most natural resources so the "regular" people just don't have the resources necessary to manufacture guns (only those in government or law enforcement have them). They do however have secret mines for iron and secretly forge weapons and armor like was used in the medieval times and keep arsenals here and there for the time when it will be necessary to fight.
I like what you are saying here and I think I can make it work. Although If I may go deeper on such a thought. With the main character going back in time he can also with the help of his friends that will help him give information of people that invented such things as guns. In doing so those that they are working with then start assassinating those that invented them in so doing which also solves the concern that Steerpike brings up

If that is the real history of the world and there has been a covert war going on for centuries, it makes sense that the factions fighting in that war are going to avail themselves of the best weapons and defenses they can. If this all takes place in the same world, why would anyone use a bunch of knights with sword when machine guns and RPGs exist in the same world?
Sir I like your concern and bring it out. It was even one of the concerns in my own mind. Although can it be possible that say defenses are the only thing that progress and because the people that thought of the idea of guns and such aren't there the weapons still stay the same as fighting with swords and armor.

Also I like to point out that magic is still a factor in this as well.
None the less I still thank you for that thought