• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How many times have you put down a book after the first sentence?

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I never read the back, so it's the opening paragraph or so for me. Maybe a page or two. Then I'll decide whether or not to get it.

Asterisk

Troubadour
If the book hasn't been recommended to me or if I haven't heard about it, I read the back cover and first sentence. If that doesn't catch my attention, I usually move on to the next book. But books that have built themselves a reputation... I give those a few paragraphs.

Yes. :D I know. Picky, picky.

SeverinR

Vala
1 chapter minimum if I already commited to it (checked it out, borrowed or bought)
Of course the description had to catch my attention or I would never have started it.

Addison

Auror
The soonest I've ever put down a book, which is hard to remember as there's been so few, was after the second chapter I think...or between the first and second chapter. Movies, on the other hand, I've walked out or turned them off before the first ten minutes were done.

David Toft

Acolyte
Never after the first sentence, but often after the first few pages. If a writer can't hook me in the opening ten pages, life's too short to simply soldier on.

Guy

Inkling
I've never read Catcher in the Rye but I've seen the first sentence because it's always offered up as the perfect example of what an opening sentence should be. It made me want to walk away immediately.

I'm a glutton for punishment when it comes to reading. I hate not finishing something, and this can be especially problematic when it comes to a series. However, if the book is bad enough that I can tell there's going to be nothing promising whatsoever, then I'll put it away after a few chapters.