• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How much do you write?

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
When I'm writing, I try to write every day. Editing is harder. When I edit, I open my novel three or four times, work until I can see I'm not making progress, and hit it again after inspiration hits (usually after the kids are in bed). I enjoy staying up late, but the problem is I get tired and often fall asleep with my finger on a key (usually space bar or down arrow) and mess myself all up. HAHA SO ten in the morning is my best time and I do try to write then, if I'm actually writing a new piece.

rhd

Troubadour
Sometimes I don't write for months, which I've gotten used to as part of my process of composting during which time I draw, edit and do other stuff. When it comes, I try to grab every moment I can to put it down, sometimes it means sitting up in the middle of the night when everyone else is asleep.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
I try to treat writing like I do my day job. If I'm expected to show up for work, and I make a habit of being late or not showing up at all, all the excuses in the world wouldn't prevent me from being fired. It's the same with writing. I can't hope to be a successful professional if I'm only willing to do work part-time.

In times where life gets in the way (like having a new child, starting a new job, moving, etc.) I still force myself to maintain some level of commitment, even if that means cutting my daily goal down to something manageable for that busy adjustment period. I've gone as low as 250 words per day.

In my opinion, even 250 words per day, sustained for a long time, is superior to any level of binge writing. Point is, if I can't find the time to write at least a little something everyday, I'd have to ask myself how serious I really am about writing. A couple hundred words is a minimal time investment in the grand scheme of a full day. When I'm not in "busy change mode" I increase that goal to something more focused yet still attainable.

In short, I write something every day unless I'm on vacation.

Bruce McKnight

Troubadour
I have very limited writing time (or any sort of free time), so I write on the bus to and from work. It's a little less than an hour, but I can usually get around 1,500 words in a first draft. It's great on weeks where I stick to it for five days, but then there's weeks like this where I get a cold and can't get back into the rhythm.

My main problem is that the bus has become my writing spot - that's where I get my best work done. I'm sitting at my desk now and I'm going through forums and watching all of YouTube because it doesn't feel like writing time.