• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How necessary is it to keep writing for now?

A thing I've noticed about being depressed: every task takes more time to do. I move slower, think slower, get lost in self-berating tangents about how I screwed such-and-such up and I won't have time to finish it, and wind up having even less time to finish. Time-wise, there's pretty much no way for me to keep writing stories right now without giving up reading, which I enjoy more. Is there any value in making the sacrifice? And is there anything I should be doing to keep practicing or keep focused, even if I'm not writing stories?

Jabrosky

Banned
A thing I've noticed about being depressed: every task takes more time to do. I move slower, think slower, get lost in self-berating tangents about how I screwed such-and-such up and I won't have time to finish it, and wind up having even less time to finish. Time-wise, there's pretty much no way for me to keep writing stories right now without giving up reading, which I enjoy more. Is there any value in making the sacrifice? And is there anything I should be doing to keep practicing or keep focused, even if I'm not writing stories?
If you don't honestly enjoy writing and don't feel you're getting anything out of it, I have to ask why you even bother with it in the first place. Maybe find some other hobby or line of work?

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
For me, keep on reading.
The writing will come back to you...
I take weeks, even months, off writing if I don't feel the urge/need to write.
Then I get the urge and I'm off wordsmithing...

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
We all make choices that are neither objectively right or wrong. With our limited time, each of us has to make choices on where to spend that time. Consciously or not, we rank what we want to do most and find/make the time to do it. Of the least important things, we do them when ever.

If writing isn't ranked that high right now, then don't worry and do something that makes you happy. A fan once asked Neil Gaiman where he finds the time to write. They had all these awesome ideas and they felt guilty because they couldn't find the time to write them down.

Gaiman responded just because you have ideas doesn't mean you are obligated to write them down. There's no idea police waiting to punish you for not using your ideas. Write or don't. The choice is yours. And there's nothing wrong with either choice. So don't worry about which choice you make.

As for what you can do, there's no substitute for actually writing. But if you still want to work on story, maybe just focus on outlining out stories without actually writing them. Its a way to work on story development skills.

C

Chessie

What CupofJoe said. If you're enjoying the reading right now then just do that. Take pleasure and refuge in other works because you'll probably learn something from that anyway. And if you're really worried about losing touch with your writing, maybe commit to a small amount you can do each day that doesn't make you feel pressured. Like 200 words per day which adds up to 1400 words per week which is much better than zero.

Also, exercise and get the right amount of sleep for your body. I'm going through a depression right now that's hard to pull out of (plus winter just started up here and its grey/dark/freezing) so I haven't been wanting to write. Instead I have been doing outlines for my NaNo project and some other stories I want to write afterwards. It isn't writing prose but I'm still connected to my creations.

And always, if you need someone to PM with about your depression my inbox is open. :)

I agree with the guys above, be kind to yourself and get moving, eat well and sleep. The writing will come when it comes. I think a lot of writers struggle with dark thoughts and feelings so you're not alone, be easy on yourself. Reading is a fantastic way to keep the inspiration going and keep stirring that well of ideas and creativity that is within you.

FarmerBrown

Troubadour
The best part about reading is that you're improving your writing at the same time. That's the #1 tip for improving your writing: READ! So, you're definitely not wasting time and you shouldn't feel guilty about it (if you do). In addition to the above suggestions, I'll add starting a journal instead of trying to force yourself to work on something creative. Not only are you getting some of your mental anguish (sorry, that's what I refer to my own as) out of your head, but you're practicing writing. Even if all you end up writing is "nothing happened today", it gets you reflecting on your day a bit and what wasn't so bad. It's helped me get through some dark times, anyway. And walking. I'm not a big exerciser, but walking is nice. And it gets creative juices flowing. You also don't need to worry about walking 'fast'. I agree with BronzeOracle that many writers (especially us imaginative fantasy folks) struggle with darkness, whether you want to define that as depression or something else. We're empathetic and deeply introspective, a troublesome combination at times. We're here for you!

Life on earth is too short to over stress yourself. I am a big perfectionist when it comes to writing and it took me three months to type half a page that i ended up hating anyways. I was too worried about what other people thought of my stories and writing skills that it made writing, something i Enjoy an love, into something i dreaded. So i took a vacation from writing and when i came back i told myself why i got into writing in the first place, because i like it. So now i write for a new audience, myself.eventually when i finish I'll maybe self publish it just for the heck of it but i now write without constant worry about what others think of my work. I want myself to be happy with it.

So don't beat yourself up, it doesn't help. I know.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I can't tell you what your goals should be. You don't have to justify or explain them.

Typically depression comes with a reduction in the activities you engage in, and that may or may not be worth fighting. There's a good chance that something else in your life needs your energy more right now. But there might be a step between pushing through and quitting, though, like reducing your writing to the projects and times that are low pressure and more enjoyable than the rest.

But writing, even as a hobby, isn't supposed to be all fun and games. Taking your writing talents seriously and following through on your stories does take real work, which in normal situations should make the accomplishments more enjoyable. If you're trying to make a decision about how much to cut, it might be worth thinking, "How will I feel when I finish this? Will I think it was worth it then?"

Addison

Auror
I've been in the same place as you Feo. It's driving me nuts. The best thing I can do, and am trying to do, is walk away and read something else. Also to maybe write a different story in a completely different genre. Not working so great for me, I have a webinar with discussions and lectures from agents so I'm getting paranoid.

If you have any questions you'd like to have asked please post them in my thread in Chit Chat.

I'm thinking my next project will be a screenshot Let's Play. It seems like a relatively low-energy project to get back into the swing of things.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Yes, getting back into it can be a challenge.

Long story short, I had some health issues that put me out of the game for about six months. Getting into a habit is hard but falling out of it is easy.

Getting back into it has been a rollercoaster of ups and downs. Sometimes I have good days and I think I'm back in form. Other days it's a struggle and it's blah. What I find helpful is when you're ready push yourself a little. Write until you don't think you can write any more then write just a little more. It'll help bring up your stamina.