• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How Serious Are You About Writing?

FireBird

Troubadour
I think four fits best for me. My only goal is to have something completely finished and polished by the time I get my Bachelor's degree. I want something that I could submit to a publisher immediately by then. I'm in no rush, writing is something that I do in my free time right now. If I get published in the future I do, if I don't I don't. I have hopes that my writing will be good enough to publish by then, but I am in no way depending on it.

Chime85

Sage
I’m realistically a 6. I do fantasise about being a full on 10 (don’t we all). My main problem is confidence. I could have ten or more glowing reviews (I wish haha) and one cruddy review, I would focus on the latter.

In some ways, I guess that gives me focus to shoot for the stars, so to speak, when my writing is concerned. However, like many things in the 21st century, paper does not equal practice.

I would say that I am capable of throwing out 3k words a day. However, I also throw out about 2k of that at ay given time. I’m one of those people who knows the plot, the characters etc, but can yet to grasp the pros and tense.

I’ll Admit, this haunts me. As a writer (like we all are) I have ideas. Its putting my mind to paper in a satisfactory format, that I have an issue with. Once I am content (I can live with content), with the work I have done, I will reply to this question with a 10

x

MamaZia

Acolyte
In the past I've been like a 2, but I've recently increased it to around a 7. I really want to write something. I don't care if it ever gets published or not, I'm really in this for personal satisfaction of completing something that I actually worked hard on. My whole life, I've had a hard time following through with things I start. Now I want to have a completed story more than anything. It's just a matter of putting in the time and effort.

Mindfire

Istar
I'd be a 4 easily. But when I finish this book that's been nearly a decade in the making, it'll be a masterpiece!

ncpendergast

Dreamer
Make that "writer and artist" (I draw comics besides writing), and I'm an 8, turning 9, as I'm currently working on making this a business. Previously I was too timid (and too busy otherwise) to consider publication.

ellenosb

Acolyte
I'm probably a 7-8. I understand the hard work and graft involved but sometimes the sheer hugeness of trying to achieve the goal is overwhelming... Even when that goal is not even just to get published, but to improve and get better and write something worth reading.

I'm 7 or 8 with elements of 9 and 10. I have always wanted to be a writer since I wrote my first story when I was five, but I do have loads of other interests, which I've sometimes pursued to the detriment of my writing, though they are slowly receding and the writing come more strongly to the fore once again. My first novel is coming out shortkly, and I do a bit most days on book two.

Guru Coyote

Archmage
Reading the descriptions... I'd currently put myself 5-6 ... only I can't say much about rejections. I only really submitted two flash fiction pieces to an 365tomorrows and both got accepted...

I would say that I am capable of throwing out 3k words a day. However, I also throw out about 2k of that at ay given time.

One thing I recently did was to do a daily sessions of "750 words" - just sitting down and writing three pages of long form ... and not caring about the result much. The key is that you actually "throw away" anything you write - at least you write in that spirit. On most days it was like just finger practice. The writing not having to count was very freeing for me! And out of these sessions came one full story (the first draft anyway) and several scenes for other stories I have been working on over the years.

My take away from my daily 750 words might be: as soon as you stop taking it all too seriously the wrting improves :)

srcroft

Minstrel
I am a 10 when in the zone. Have been a 9 until i got married and had a kid, and now settled on 8. I make good money, which gives me the most precious writing tool--time. I study the craft constantly, and I am working on my phd In Lit with a minor in Creative Writing. Im 33, not like 60 btw--lol just wanted to throw that out there.

srcroft

Minstrel
No no I'll be 34 in October *cries* heh. And that's usually women with age, and men with intimacy partner count.