• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How to connect three different worlds?

Nelesnia

Dreamer
Helloo ~ looking for advice, pls.

Without going into too much detail, the story I'm writing is set in what is known as The Higher Plane. There is also The Lower Plane, and eventually it is revealed that a place called The Middle Plane also exists. I'm having trouble trying to connect the three - The Middle Plane can be accessed through spells and magic, but The Lower Plane is the sort of place people are sent (it's not meant to be a 'good place'). Trying to figure out how to build on this concept a bit more - any ideas?

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Maybe an astral plane for travel.

typically, planes are presented as the one in which we live were magic is non-existant or scarce, and outerly planes where it is more the norm. Beings in those planes can usually cross over with the use of magic or ritual. Perhaps someone has to build pentagram for summoning and invite the travel.

Nelesnia

Dreamer
Maybe an astral plane for travel.

typically, planes are presented as the one in which we live were magic is non-existant or scarce, and outerly planes where it is more the norm. Beings in those planes can usually cross over with the use of magic or ritual. Perhaps someone has to build pentagram for summoning and invite the travel.
Thanks! yeah, that's kind of the idea with the middle plane, iyou can access it through magic. I guess i'm trying to connect the lower and higher plane more than anything. Someone suggested a tower earlier, though i might go for something more like a cave...I like the idea of some sort of entrance.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
A stairway and an escalator. The stairway can have a lady trying to buy it.

The river styx went between planes. So maybe a river.

And there was a rainbow bridge for the asgardians.

If the portal is magical anything will suffice. A cave, an underground lake, and bunch of valkyries on winged horses (secretly my preferred method).

if its the difference between the good and evil place maybe all it takes is a change of heart.

K.S. Crooks

Maester
There could be portals/doorways that connect each world. They could be in random places that can only be seen by those with a gift/power to do so. People may stumble through one by accident causing some missing person or ship or plane cases. Perhaps the portals are stable or maybe they shift around as different forces in the various worlds align. You could tie -in the portals to natural phenomena- e.g. A sink hole in one world could pass into a geyser in another.

It could be pretty much anything. Pick something which suits the tale you want to tell, the mood and the idea of the story. As an example of "anything", in Raymond e. Feist's Midkemia stories, there's a gallery of doors which lead to different worlds. It's fairly literally a gallery, a long corridor with doors leading to the different worlds. And those doors have real, physical counterparts in the worlds they lead to. If I recall correctly, there's one which ends up in the back of a bar, which means that every now and then, funny looking magic people show up in the bar and talk to the bartender to get access to the door.

It's fairly whimsical, which fits the narrative tone of the books very well, but it would probably fail in other books because of this.

johnnyfoges

Dreamer
Honestly, maybe binging Disenchantment has affected my view, but just a magical trapdoor. Anytime anyone needs a banishment to the lower realm, it's there, ready to drop them in. It's a portal, it's magic, it's whimsical. Heck, in world a whole group of people could even worship it as a divine entity since it has such a profound impact on this higher plane. But, I don't know much about the world so maybe that's not the way to do it.

Nelesnia

Dreamer
A stairway and an escalator. The stairway can have a lady trying to buy it.

The river styx went between planes. So maybe a river.

And there was a rainbow bridge for the asgardians.

If the portal is magical anything will suffice. A cave, an underground lake, and bunch of valkyries on winged horses (secretly my preferred method).

if its the difference between the good and evil place maybe all it takes is a change of heart.
Being very gay, anything involving rainbows is always a great idea.

Nelesnia

Dreamer
Honestly, maybe binging Disenchantment has affected my view, but just a magical trapdoor. Anytime anyone needs a banishment to the lower realm, it's there, ready to drop them in. It's a portal, it's magic, it's whimsical. Heck, in world a whole group of people could even worship it as a divine entity since it has such a profound impact on this higher plane. But, I don't know much about the world so maybe that's not the way to do it.
I originally had the idea of an iron door ~somewhere~ where people go in and don't really leave. The Guardians guard the entrance to The Lower Plane. (very original, I know. Bear with me whilst I work on more creative names for Things In My World)

johnnyfoges

Dreamer
I originally had the idea of an iron door ~somewhere~ where people go in and don't really leave. The Guardians guard the entrance to The Lower Plane. (very original, I know. Bear with me whilst I work on more creative names for Things In My World)
If things like The Force, The One Ring, Captain America, and Batman can be catchy classics simple things like The Guardians can too. Don't discount your idea.