• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How to page break to the middle?

rktho

Troubadour
I’ve decided to start typing my drafts in industry manuscript format and I’ve noticed starting new chapters is a bit complicated to execute, at least as far as I can figure out. Apparently each new chapter is supposed to begin a third of the way down. How does one do this without hitting space multiple times? (I’d prefer a Google Drive solution but a Word solution is also good.)

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
If you're using styles you can set up your chapter heading style to have a lot of extra space before and after the paragraph.
I'm not familiar with Google Drive, but there probably is a setting for it somewhere.

In Word you can right-click a style and select modify. Then click on the Format drop-down and select paragraph. This opens up a new window where you can adjust spacing for Before and After.

rktho

Troubadour
If you're using styles you can set up your chapter heading style to have a lot of extra space before and after the paragraph.
I'm not familiar with Google Drive, but there probably is a setting for it somewhere.

In Word you can right-click a style and select modify. Then click on the Format drop-down and select paragraph. This opens up a new window where you can adjust spacing for Before and After.
Google Drive doesn't seem to have an option for spacing as far as I can see. I'll look into the Word solution. If I don't switch to Word, I'll definitely use it to finalize the manuscript.

Meantime, if anyone has a Drive solution, feel free to bring it up.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I tinkered a bit with Google Drive (google docs, right) and found a solution. It's a bit convoluted, but the principle is the same.

To begin with write your chapter title, like Chapter 1, or whatever you want.
Select the font and size you want.
In the Format menu there's an option for Line Spacing, and it has an option for Custom Spacing. This opens up an option to change adjust the space before and after. Tinker around with this until you have as much space as you need.

Next up, update the style.
Open the Format menu, click on Paragraph Styles to bring up the list of styles.
Select one of the headings and select the Update to Match Option.
This will update the style with that of your currently selected text and apply it to all other text with that style.