• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

I just got a Kindle!

Mark

Scribe
I have hundreds of books on my kindle and kobo e-readers. I love ebooks, but I love paper books too.

E-readers are great for commutes and long flights. They're also good for getting books quickly if you live in the countryside, like me. And if your eyesight isn't so good - sadly like me too.

Most ebook sellers give you a library, so if your ereader falls in a river - for example - you can buy a new one and re-download all the books. Wherever possible I like to store copies on my computer too. Some stores, like Smashwords, allow you to download in multiple formats: epub, mobi, pdf etc. So I store my ebooks across devices, and in the store's online library.

Mythopoet

Auror
To be honest I don't use my kindle as much as I should ... I do like it though.
Due to the fact that I am A. a fan of classics and B. a cheapskate ... I most frequently use it to download free books off ProjectGutenburg and (never tried it but) I suspect you could use it to read some Medieval texts on Fordham's historical text archive site-another little treasure I could not live without.

Most Project Gutenberg books are available for free directly on Amazon. And there are tons and tons of other affordable classics there. I put like all of Plato's works on my kindle recently. When it comes to reading classics, Kindle is my best friend.

I have an original Kindle Fire still. (Can't quite justify an upgrade to myself yet.) I love it, even though I don't really use it for anything but reading. (I keep the wifi off when I'm not downloading something to make the battery last longer.) My kindle is seriously the best thing that has ever happened to my reading habit since my very first library card when I was a kid. I still buy the occasional print book, but pretty much only when I really, really want a book that is not available as an ebook. Unfortunately, a lot of fantasy and sci fi classics are still not in ebook format. (Seriously, SOMEONE GET THE FRELL ONTO PUTTING ROGER ZELAZNY'S BOOKS IN EBOOK FORMAT.) Every time I read a print book I pine for my kindle, its lack of need for a bookmark, its built in dictionary and its easy highlighting function.

Honestly, it seems like all fantasy readers in particular should jump at ereaders. You never have to carry around a doorstopper novel ever again! I have an entire library in my purse at a fraction of the weight and size! Progress is a beautiful thing!

C

Chessie

I can't say I really miss books when there's this fascinating device which can hold an endless amount of stories--indefinitely--without taking up clutter in my house. My tablet is my library and what I write on. Congratulations on the Kindle...it will change your reading life forever. Lots of indie authors out there worth the time to check out, only accessed through kindle. :D

Edit: real books are easier on the eyes. Also, one Indie author I like recommending is Lindsay Buroker. I have only read her Steampunk (which is the best out there imo) but she also does other type of fantasy (wanna say dystopian). Also, books on the kindle are much cheaper than real ones so load up and have fun.

Last edited by a moderator: