• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

I like dark stories about imperfect people

Renee

Dreamer
Good afternoon forum!

I decided to join because sometime in the last few months, I finally realized that I would never write anything if I never write anything.

In that vein, I have edited out many things in my life that I dream about less passionately: most crafts, trying to learn to cook, as much of the housework as I can fairly get away with. I've taken the time to expand upon several of the ideas I've scribbled over the years, archiving the ones that I can't yet manage to pull together. At the moment I am allowing myself as much time as it takes to write up character backgrounds, world building, and a chapter-by-chapter outline of an entire story. The "just sit down and write" method has never gotten me past a few pages text.

I am always looking to improve my grammar, and rarely my spelling.

I'm nervous in the presence of other fantasy fans, because I am so new to the genre. I began when my husband brought home Joe Abercrombie's First Law series, then Jonathan L. Howard's Jahannes Cabal. A friend lent me Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, and I throughly enjoyed the first book. Unfortunately, I lost interest in it later when Rand's melancholy became so tedious that I stopped caring about what happened next - as he would probably mope about THAT, too.

I didn't read any other genre fiction for a year or two, until the ads for Game of Thrones began to flood the market. I bought the first book and have been enjoying the series immensely. I've always imagined that I would write very serious literary fiction, but the thing that converted me to fantasy is how much fun it is. In the past few months I've written down summaries of at least a dozen possible fantasy stories, as well as several character sketches. "Literary fiction" plots, characters? Zero. So here I am, eager as ever a convert could be.

As such, I welcome any book recommendations. Any books similar to the ones mentioned above, especially books that feature well developed characters and rich world building. Thank you in advance!

On a different note, I've decided that I will skip traditional publishing routes and go straight to self-publishing (assuming I finish a story). I could write quite a bit about the 'why,' but I'll keep it to this: digital connects the author directly to her readers. And that's what a crave - to be a part of a community of writers.

I'm intrigued by the questions my brief tour of the site has raised, on topics I haven't yet considered. Traditional fantasy settings and races vs. making up your own? What type of currency to use, in what type of economy? What is the political atmosphere like? I'm looking forward to being part of these conversations!

Last edited:

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Well that was a very nice & thorough introduction.

I'm certain you will find value here as the MS members compose a very helpful group. Most write fantasy but a lot stray into other genres as well.

Overall, enjoy the comradely, put your opinions out there, and absorb what works for your art.

Welcome aboard!

Renee

Dreamer
Thank you for the fast reply, what a surprise! I came back to say that I just found the recommended reading thread, and now have quite a reading list. However, I'd still love to hear about member's favorite dark stories!

Steerpike

Felis amatus
You might try Glen Cook's "The Black Company." That's a good one.

If you liked The First Law trilogy, Abercrombies "Best Served Cold" takes it one better in terms of dark, gritty stories.

K.J. Parker's book "The Company" is another good one.

If you like lush prose, and dark themes, you can't go wrong with Angela Carter's book of short stories called "Burning Your Boats."

If you like imperfect characters, check out Lois McMaster Bujold. She's most well-known for her Vorkosigan series (as far as I'm concerned, Miles Vorkosigan is the greatest SF character ever), but she's also written a handful of fantasy novels -- the four-part Sharing Knife series and also the three-part Chalion series.

Ghost

Inkling
Don't be nervous. Fantasy (and this forum) benefit from different perspectives. You could marry your two loves and do fantasy in a literary style. :balanced:

I too like dark stories about imperfect people, so I second the Angela Carter recommendation.

Welcome to the forum, Renee!

Renee

Dreamer
You might try Glen Cook's "The Black Company." That's a good one.

If you liked The First Law trilogy, Abercrombies "Best Served Cold" takes it one better in terms of dark, gritty stories.

K.J. Parker's book "The Company" is another good one.

If you like lush prose, and dark themes, you can't go wrong with Angela Carter's book of short stories called "Burning Your Boats."

Hi Steer - (Mr. Pike? Steery Cutekitty? Sir Moderator?) -

I have added "Burning your Boats" to my Amazon list. I do like lush prose and dark themes, especially in short stories. Thank you for reading my mind on that last bit; I'll let you know how I like the book when it arrives! Please let me know if you prefer a specific, non-made-up name, SP, and I will oblige :)

-Renee

-Stacy

Renee

Dreamer
If you like imperfect characters, check out Lois McMaster Bujold. She's most well-known for her Vorkosigan series (as far as I'm concerned, Miles Vorkosigan is the greatest SF character ever), but she's also written a handful of fantasy novels -- the four-part Sharing Knife series and also the three-part Chalion series.

Hi Ben -

Thank you for the recommendation! I have pulled up Ms. Bujold's page on Amazon, but I'm not sure which of her stories I should go with first. Any recommendations? I want to read something from the Vorkosigan series, per your glowing recommendation, but sometimes the first isn't always the best. Thank you!

-Renee

PS - My new goal in life is to be Ms. Bujold, once I've decided on how to pronounce her name. Giving Heinlein a fun for his Hugo money, YEAH! Plus, it looks like she does a lot of her own publishing, unless I just couldn't find the print editions? If so, please warn her that I may show up and sleep on her front porch until she takes me in as her apprentice. Okay, after I've read the books, so that she has no reason not to keep me as her dutiful authoress pet. La vida es bellisima!

Renee

Dreamer

Also, I like this excerpt from her bio (it occurred to me that her publishing habits are discoverable through a diligent enough google search):

"That's one of the nicest things about writing, all of a sudden nothing is wasted. Even one's failures are re-classified as raw material."

Here I thought writing was great just because of how fun, insightful, elegant, or beautiful it can be. I like that it gives my past failures (not anything interesting; if that sounded a little melodramatic, it wasn't meant to be) a new meaning. Now if I can just leave google and get back to writing . . .

The only thing is that it's hard not to offer to redesign her website for her. 2007 never seemed so far away!

- R

Renee

Dreamer
Don't be nervous. Fantasy (and this forum) benefit from different perspectives. You could marry your two loves and do fantasy in a literary style. :balanced:

I too like dark stories about imperfect people, so I second the Angela Carter recommendation.

Welcome to the forum, Renee!

Thank you for your welcome, Ghost :) I'll let you guys know what I think of the Angela Carter stories! They should be here in a week or so . . .

- R

Hi Ben -

Thank you for the recommendation! I have pulled up Ms. Bujold's page on Amazon, but I'm not sure which of her stories I should go with first. Any recommendations? I want to read something from the Vorkosigan series, per your glowing recommendation, but sometimes the first isn't always the best. Thank you!

You can't go wrong by starting with Cordelia's Honor, which is actually an omnibus edition comprising Shards of Honor and Barrayar, which are about Miles Vorkosigan's mother, Cordelia Naismith. Or you can start with Miles directly in The Warrior's Apprentice. They're all excellent books.

Figuring out the exact order to read all the Vorkosigan books in can be tricky, because the series' internal chronology doesn't much resemble the publication order in the early parts. But you can start with the ones above and go from there.

PS - My new goal in life is to be Ms. Bujold, once I've decided on how to pronounce her name.

BOO-zhold. :)

Plus, it looks like she does a lot of her own publishing, unless I just couldn't find the print editions?

That's odd; all her books have been published by traditional publishers, starting in the 1980s. The Vorkosigan series were all published by Baen Books; the Chalion and Sharing Knife series by Eos (HarperCollins).

Oh, and, yes, my goal is also to be her. Except male. :) The romantic relationship in the Sharing Knife series was the model for how I handled such things in THE QUEEN OF MAGES.