• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

blog I Wrote a Book — Here's What I Learned

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Svrtnsse submitted a new blog post:

I Wrote a Book — Here's What I Learned

by Nils Ödlund

wrote-a-book.jpg

It finally happened. I finished writing a book. It's a strange feeling, and in this article I look back on how I took my story from just another idea to a completed novella.

Once upon a time...

It began, as these things do, with an idea. A thread here on the Mythic Scribes forums sparked a discussion of what it really means for a character to be strong – from a storytelling point of view. My thought is that a strong character is one that's able to carry the story forward, without necessarily being particularly strong or otherwise remarkable within the world of the story.

From that discussion an idea took shape. It was a vague and fuzzy idea – more of a concept really – but it felt good, and I couldn't quite let it go.

Originally I intended the story to be a short one of just a few thousand words. I wanted something I could share here on the forums to try and prove my point, and to show off my writing. Pretty soon I realised a short story wouldn't be enough.

I'd written over two thousand words, and I was barely done introducing the character and the setting, or any of the other things I felt were important to the story. I needed a plan, so I started to outline.

Outlining is a topic of its own and I won't go into details of the process. Suffice to say that once I was done I had an outline for a story spanning thirteen chapters.

I know from experience that I'm a...
Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Excellent article. It's remarkable how personal each author's journey can be. Thanks for telling us yours.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
No worries, but yes, I wrote it in English. People sometimes ask why I don't write in Swedish, but these days it no longer comes naturally to me in the way it used to. A few days back I wrote someone an e-mail and made a point of writing it all in Swedish. It felt clunky and awkward, like the words I wanted to use weren't the right ones.
I think I'm too out of touch with my native tongue to really write in it these days. If I moved back and started speaking and reading Swedish on a daily basis I'm sure it would come back to me.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
That sounds really frustrating. I've had similar experiences. It's no fun when it happens, but I keep telling myself the end result will be better for it. :)

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Excellent article. It's remarkable how personal each author's journey can be. Thanks for telling us yours.
Thanks.
And I think you're right. Everyone goes about it in different ways of their own, which is probably how these things should be. What I wrote about worked for me, but it's already different in my other projects.