• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

I'm really bad at coming up with names.

TheKey1111

Acolyte
Nothing wrong with using a name generator, and there are a myriad of them on the internet. You can search for specific generators as well, such as "Tolkien name generator", "fantasy name generator", etc. Could get your mind ticking over until you develop more of a knack for it.

Almyrigan Hero

Minstrel
Honestly, and at least if you're not going all out and mapping everything ahead, the easiest way to work is by just feeling names out phonetically, and building your own language as you go. Don't worry about meaning, think about what a thing just looks like, acts like, and sounds like; that's how a lot of real words come about in the first place. All it really takes is a bit of consistency and repetition to begin dividing and assigning them among fictional languages.

This character's name, for example, is Narri. It means absolutely nothing, at least to my knowledge; but it starts with a sharp sound, transitions into a long but curved 'arr' (almost sounds like a canine vocalization in itself,) and trails off into a soft 'i/y' sound, which at least in English speech can suggest a tone of friendliness or endearment. It doesn't have a literal meaning, but it conveys her disposition and physical shape.
narri_but_i_keep_making_her_cutesier_by_almyriganhero_ded2hkf-350t.jpg