• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

In need of a name...

Varamyrr

Minstrel
Greetings all,

I have this problem that keeps causing me some headache. I have this order of men for which I don't really how to call them. I suggest I briefly let you visualize the world and give you a brief overview of what I've documented so far.

World:
The setting itself is pretty standard fantasy. Imagine medieval Western Europe. Populated by mostly humans. Dwarves, Trolls and Giants form the minority. With dwarves being the more secluded race. Don't expect something fancy from trolls and giants. The story evolves mostly around humans.

Although magic exists, it is only available to very few people. I intend to build an adrenaline-based magic system, but it still needs some work.

Religion:
Several religions exist, from the more tribal/pagan ones to the typical monotheistic ones.
They believe that they are given a - relatively - short period of time to proof themselves worthy. In a way, dying is something they look forward to. They don't propagate their faith though. (You choose in what you believe) Because this clashes with the ideology of the main religion they are portraited as infidels. Which means they should be trialed, meaning convert of die. This forces them to remain scattered throughout the world. They do not like it when people are forced into something.While this also covers religion, most of them believe that there is this life is just a stepstone to the next(eternal) life.

Order:
Okay, more to the point. The first members were men that were part of a magical experiment gone bad(conducted by both male and females magicians). This same experiment was conducted to animals causing magical/enhanced creatures to appear. Now, due to the expirement conducted, these human test subjects gained enhanced physical abilities aswell as the potential to do some basic magic casting. While others consider them cursed, they believe that they are given a gift. One that they believe shouldn't be eradicated. If they spot somebody with the same gift they offer apprenticeship. (Need to work on the apprenticeship)

As an order they symbolize freedom of will. They serve nobody, and try to remain neutral in political discussions. They believe though that each and every one of them has a goal that they should pursue. It's ok to be selfish.

Since they also need to survive, they go out and do jobs for hire. From protecting someone, to assasinating a magical creature. While looking moral-less to the world, the follow their own code of conduct. So, while everybody judges them for what they do and are, they are - in a way - necessary.
eg: If a creature terrorizes a certain place, then they themself will judge if it is really required to kill the beast. Even if they are offered more money.

When it comes to other races. They don't think less of any one.

Skillset:

• Capable of casting basic magical abilities(push/pull objects)
  • Experienced swordfighters
  • Capable of disabling a sence to enhance the others
  • Sense the proximity of something magical, but aren't able to make a distinction
  • Can recover from injuries. But they need to immersed into water(eg bath/lake)

Now, these are names that already popped inside my head, but there is none that stands out.
  • Nightingale
  • Vagabond
  • Wraith
  • Maverick
  • Wrangler
  • Stalker
  • Nightblade
  • Nighthawk
  • Zephyr
  • Sin Eater

Have any of you an idea of a name that could match the above description, or do you feel that there's one in my above list that could work.

Thx in advance,
Vara

Varamyrr

Minstrel
I agree. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be original but ... at the same time I like names that give you an idea/prejudgement of something or someone. Perhaps I'm wrong, after all I'm a newbie in this.

If they consider their powers to be a gift, the most logical thing would be for them to call themselves "the Gifted."

Alternatively, normal people started calling them something mildly derogatory (for example, "the Renegades") and they adopted it ironically.

That's usually how groups name themselves: Either they pick something that they think represents how they think of themselves, or they just go with whatever everyone else calls them.

I agree. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be original but ... at the same time I like names that give you an idea/prejudgement of something or someone. Perhaps I'm wrong, after all I'm a newbie in this.

At the same time, it's important the name gives you get the right idea. That's the problem with picking names that just sound cool; if you don't consider the actual meaning, it ends up sounding odd.

"Nightingale" is a bird. Though the name implies night (Skyrim went with that) they are mostly reknowed as songbirds. The are called nightingales because they sing at night as well as during the day. I could see a group of singers or bards call themselves the Nightingales, but I'm not sure what it has to do with mystic warriors fighting monsters.

"Vagabond" implies a nomadic life-style: Someone who walks with no long-term home. It only makes sense if this order is actually nomadic, like a bunch of really kickass warrior-gypsies or something. (That's actually kind of a cool idea, but it may not be what you have in mind for this.)

"Wraith" is a synonym for ghost. It implies mystery, stealth and an assosciation with death. Fitting for say an order of assassins or something equivalent of a secret intelligence service. Not so fitting for a more straightforward approach.

"Mavericks" refers to unbranded cattle, and is also slang for an unpredictable or uncontrollable person. It is derived from the 19th century U.S. cattleman Samuel Maverick, and as such it doesn't really make sense to use the word in a medieval context. (Though, Maverick as a surname is in turn derived from the welsh mawr-rwyce, meaning "valiant hero.")

A "wrangler" is someone who handles animals, especially horses and cattle.

A "stalker" is someone who stalks, which means to pursue something stealthily. Can be a synonym for "hunter."

"Nightblade" sounds like a type of assassin. "Nighthawk" is a noctural hawk. (Of course.) Can also refer a person whose preference or custom is to remain awake and active during the night and the early morning hours. (Compare "nightowl.") Both of these seem to indicate a preference to work at night.

"Zephyr" is the name of the West Wind. In Western tradition, it has usually been considered the mildest and most favorable of the directional winds. Implies swiftness and mobility, but also a gentle and benevolent nature.

"Sin Eater" refers to a type of religous magic in which a person would ritually "eat" the sins of a household, often because of a recent death. The sin-eater would consume food and drink that represents the sins of the dying, absorbing the sin into himself and thus allowing the absolved soul to rest in peace. Compare the origins of the word "scapegoat" where the sins of an individual or community would be placed on a proxy. (Originally a goat.)

Cool names, but extremely mainstream. I would go with something more like Azakam, Svanz, etc.

...Kai, Jedi... :p

Though, that mostly makes sense if the order is old enough for the name to have an obscure etymology. If they were formed relatively recently, they would have a name that means something in the common tongue.

Last edited:
I agree with Anders about the etymology. Most of the sample names you listed sound a bit heavy-handed for this group. Names like those tend to be given for a reason, and usually to groups that either no longer exist (supposedly) or are held in great esteem (IE they have been around for a while and done important things).

If most of the people in your world don't like these guys, they'd probably be called by a different name every time you hear about them, such as "those renegade mages", or "that cadre of magic assassins". The mages themselves might choose a name for themselves that signifies their plight. For example, if they have a leader the all look up to, they name themselves after him. They might also call themselves something like The Children of <the name of the ritual that initially created them>. If there's a historical figure they identify with, they could name themselves after him and be a fantasy equivalent to kids who wear Che Guevara shirts.

I hope that was helpful.