• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Is it appropriate on this site somewhere to post book chapters for feedback as the book is written?

BearBear

Archmage
Long long ago and well not too far away I remember a forum where writers would do exactly this. They'd post a story as it was being written and adjust with community feedback.

Is that a thing here? Has it been done? Can I do it? How? A new thread for each chapter?

Ty

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Yes, there's a Critique Request subforum that opens up after you've participated for a bit. I'm not sure how long or how many posts, but you should be able to see it soon. And yes, a new thread for each chapter. I just wouldn't post the whole thing at once, and be patient.

BearBear

Archmage
You mean don't post the whole chapter at once? I'm trying to remember, my 1st drafts tend to have a dozen chapters or so but each one is 7-10k words. So maybe a scene at a time would be better.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Yeah, go ahead and post scene by scene. What I meant was just not the whole book or five or six chapters at once. You don't want to overwhelm the reader.

BearBear

Archmage
I agree, if I could post 160 characters at a time I would probably have a lot more comments. I was a Reddit junkie until recently, but there is no sense of community there and no matter how hard I tried, no way to foster it, not in my experience anyway. *fingers crossed* I'm looking for a good community of persistent personalities if such a thing exists anymore.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Some people here are persistent and here everyday. Some... But, like many things, you get what you put in. (I should add, it is usually slow on the weekends.)

I do try to respond to those seeking feedback, but sometimes its just too much. 160 characters would help with it not being too much.

Last edited:

BearBear

Archmage
I hear what you're saying... and brass gears start turning. I'm just trying to build steam to critical mass and restart the engine.