• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Is originality an anchor for you?

shangrila

Inkling
I love subverting tropes in any way I can, but at the same time I don't feel like I need to do it to tell a good story. My WIP right now is, at its heart, a tale of revenge. Not exactly original, right?

GeekDavid

Auror
I love subverting tropes in any way I can, but at the same time I don't feel like I need to do it to tell a good story. My WIP right now is, at its heart, a tale of revenge. Not exactly original, right?

I do too, but the catch is that you need a few tropes in there so the reader isn't completely lost in the story.

In my next WIP (for NaNo) I'm currently planning on having the hero ask the wise old guide if there's a prophecy predicting the hero's appearance, to which the wise old guide will say something like, "Don't be silly. You're in the right place at the right time but that doesn't mean we've been waiting generations for you."

For me, while I like creative and "out there" stories, I believe that there are things that can just be too creative it that makes any sense at all. Like, sometimes, the author is so creative in his story and trying to avoid clichés that it just becomes impossible to follow. Like GeekDavid said, "Each author will tell it differently." To me, it's not what you write but it's how you write it and how you put your own twist to it. Most things have been done before at least once or twice, but what separates them from all the other stories is how they told the story.