• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Is the 3rd limited POV just a synonym for the deep POV?

Is 3rd limited POV just a synonym for the deep point of view? Little real-life story: When I sat in my English lessons, my English teacher repeated the Point of view. I wondered why she didn’t write the deep POV on the blackboard. I mean, (ok. It’s a newer one. But hey!) many bestsellers were written in that kind of style. Hunger Games and Divergent are just two examples. I asked why she didn’t write it down. Her answer was that it wouldn’t exists. She also added that the thing, I meant, is the 3rd limited POV. But what’s your opinion?

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
None of them exist. Or, rather, they are all abstractions useful in literary analysis but little more. People were writing stories long before anyone came up with definitions for POV. Write the story you want to write. If it's good, someone will write a thesis on the POV you chose, and then you'll know which POV you chose.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Like Skip said, they're all abstractions that are mostly useful for literary criticism. In practice, third person limited deep POV absolutely exists, and is in fact my perspective of choice. I picture it as having a camera inside the POV's head, and we can only see, know, and experience what happens to that character at that time. The nice thing about third person deep POV is that it is easier to chance perspectives from chapter to chapter than first person is, if the story calls for it.

The beauty of writing is that there is only one rule: writers write. Everything else is just guidelines and tools in a very large toolbox.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Third person limited POV:

Frodo ran into the wall. It hurt.

Deep POV:

Frodo ran into the wall. Ouch! Why wasn't he paying attention? Why did his mind have to race through so many thoughts that he couldn't function? What was he doing with himself? Damnit, calm down brain.

Third person limited POV is a simple technical definition. You're either in third person limited or you're not.

Deep POV means get further into the character's head, get so far into the character's head that the line between 3rd and 1st begins to blurr and the character's voice becomes the narrative. It's not as straightforward. You can always "go deeper."