• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Is it okay to turn the camera on the POV character in 3rd Person limited?

WyrdMystic

Inkling
"what can you make work?"

Challenge accepted.

Really, I do think that writing is like any other profession. That means know the rules and reasons for them but always push the boundaries in search for perfection. All professions look to stretch, redefine or even break what is thought of as possible or correct. That's how things evolve. Twenty years ago 'bookisms' were the best thing since sliced bread (or indeed the bread slicer). It will be the same with the rules we think stand true today in another twenty years, budding writers will think...'really?'. So there's really no better way to say it then Steerpike has....

"What can you make work?" - in fact that sounds like a post all of its own.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Probably true as a rule T.Allen.Smith, but I've read books where the first person narrator dies, even if it was the only narrator up to that point; or books where there are multiple first person points of view, or one first person points of view and multiple points of view in third person included in the same book. Looks like the field is pretty wide open. The real question is "what can you make work?"

Hehe... I knew you'd say that as we've discussed this before. But yes, you're correct. I'm just speaking in general, more widely accepted terms & from my own opinion. After all, the conversation evolved from BWF asking me why I'm a proponent of that style of writing. It's only my preference.

There's no right or wrong way to write... Only good or bad.

Still, I definitely see a strong distinction between extremely close 3rd limited & 1st person.

Last edited: