• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Okay, here's the idea.

Klee Shay

Troubadour
I have a story that's not a story, or, more specifically, it's sort of an anthology that's not as all of the stories are written by me. There's a prolog that isn't called a prolog, it's just titled 'Impact'. It sets up the world without telling any stories, only telling how that world came to be in it's present state. Then there are several different stories, all set in the same world but only vaguely related to each other. Some are only one chapter long, some are several. Eventually, it may reach some sort of common goal, but, being as my characters tend to have more say than I do, this is not a forgone conclusion.

Anyway. Does idea work for any of you or is it too ambitious? I already have some of the stories written, they're just not posted anywhere, yet.

Suggestions, comments?

Kelise

Maester
You're talking about a 'Collection' and it's a fairly general thing to happen, so I wouldn't call it ambitious :) I know quite a few authors who've done it and done it well. (I'm currently judging all the anthologies and collections - they're two separate categories - for the Aurealis Awards in Australia, so I've seen over 30 in the last few months.)

I would suggest though, to still title your prologue as a prologue, and then have the heading under it be 'Impact'. Then it'll be much clearer to the reader what its purpose is. I'd be careful with it though, as having a section that's not telling any story can be very close to info-dumping.

Last edited:

San Cidolfus

Troubadour
Well, sir, to be frank, those stories would have to be very strong in order to achieve any presence in such a loose narrative structure. If you're just writing a collection of stories that don't really tie together, ask yourself: where am I going with this? Where do you want this world to go; how do you see this culminating? Stories need to build to something. If you feel like there's juice to this world, to these narratives, then focus on what makes it enticing and pull together a cohesive narrative from that. Not to be a naysayer, but anthologies aren't much more than snacks. If you're planning for a larger piece, terrific. Build towards that, and use this anthology as a stepping stone for that.

As for the prologue that isn't a prologue, you've described it as an information dump. Throwing a lot of information at a reader without launching the narrative is really shooting yourself in the foot before you even begin. Start your work with something that will get the reader's attention.

Clarity of vision is one of a writer's most precious virtues. In thinking up this world, you conceived of a story you wanted to tell, whether or not you grasp it clearly. Find that first; your world is secondary. The world is just the setting for the narrative. Characters and action move it.

I hope you get something out of that rant.

Klee Shay

Troubadour
To be a little more clear without giving too much away "Impact" would be very short, describing the effects a large asteroid impact would have on a continent and a nearby island. It would not have any information about the world before or after the impact . . . that comes later. It would only contain details about what such an impact would do if it occured, say, 1000 miles away in the middle of the ocean. I got these details at a site called Impact Earth using specific values.

The stories themselves would be how various characters react to such a cataclysm decades or perhaps a century later and how the try to rebuild their world.

It has the added fun of me throwing a large rock at my world and seeing what happens :insertevillaughhere

Last edited:
V

Voldermort

I have a story that's not a story, or, more specifically, it's sort of an anthology that's not as all of the stories are written by me. There's a prolog that isn't called a prolog, it's just titled 'Impact'. It sets up the world without telling any stories, only telling how that world came to be in it's present state. Then there are several different stories, all set in the same world but only vaguely related to each other. Some are only one chapter long, some are several. Eventually, it may reach some sort of common goal, but, being as my characters tend to have more say than I do, this is not a forgone conclusion.

Anyway. Does idea work for any of you or is it too ambitious? I already have some of the stories written, they're just not posted anywhere, yet.

Suggestions, comments?

It sounds interesting. I'd go with it.

I do kinda agree with San Cidolfus's point about clarity. But I think you'll figure it out as you go along.

I think you will find the common goal to end it all later. It seems weak without that.