• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Is it okay to use "Once Upon A Time"?

If you are seeking a classic feel (trying to stay true to a more Brothers Grimm way of telling a story) is it okay to start your novel off with "Once upon a time" "There once was" or something along those lines?

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
You can do anything you want.... I think that's especially true when you're making conscious choices on style, as you are here.

As with anything, some will like it, some may not. The only thing that truly matters is, "Do you like it?". If so, there are bound to be others, just like you, who want and enjoy the same things.

K.S. Crooks

Maester
What you must remember is when you say "Once Upon a Time," you are saying that everything that follows occurred in the past. I myself like t write in present tense because I want myself and my readers to feel that everything is happening as they read it. I do read books that are written in past tense and for the most part I am alright with it, however there are times during the stories that I feel like I am playing catch-up since the events have already happened. One major exception is Star Wars, yes Star Wars. Remember it starts "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..." The entire series happens in the distant past outside of our Milky Way galaxy.

Whichever way you go is fine, but you must be conscious of keeping the same tense. Best of luck and fun in your writing.