• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Is it okay?

JOHANNEITOR33

Hi, the book im writing is based in an invented world and im having doubts when it comes to the history of this world.
I would like it to be this way: For so many years people lived peacefully in this huge terrain, but one day, because of a supernatural thing men started having problems with each other, they started fighting and everything goes bad.
So because of this fightings, a wealthy woman buys a big terrain and proclame herself empress, making her the first gobernor of this little word. Also, with time, other persons would follow her example and name themselves gobernors of the land they bought.

So my questions are, does this make sense? or is it impossible? How could I do it instead?
PS: Sorry if the question is messy or the english is bad, im still learning

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I do not think this is impossible.

I think it more likely that human nature being what it is, hierarchical systems would develop, and those with a skill for them would rise to the top. To some degree, the obtaining of money, and being good at it may overlap, but not always. Some of those with money would lose control of their purchase in time, and it would get ruled by another. If there was a large and capable system of government, it maybe that one could buy large amounts of land, but still have to pay fealty to the State or king.

This sound similar to people buying private islands. Its not unheard of.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
What you are describing is kind-of sort-of what happened in the western United States during the late 19th century when cattle barons and railroad magnates ended up in control of vast swaths of land.

In your case, I would suggest a badly fractured government sold/awarded this woman (and others) such tracts. These people then bought additional parcels and/or combined them with each other via marriage or business arrangements. Shortly after that, the government collapsed (scandal, invasion, disease, whatever) but your 'Empress' and others managed to maintain control over their properties and convince nearby settlements to accept that authority.