• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Jaded with the whole Fantasy/Sci-fi genre

I haven't been around for awhile (not that I expected my absence to be noticed :p), and mainly because I am just bored to death with pretty much all contemporary fantasy and Sci-Fi. Thus my motivation/inspiration to write has been waning. I just see all that is offered up today as cookie cutter and streamlined for mass consumption. Doesn't matter what format it takes, or what country produces it. It's just the copycat syndrome taken to the extreme. Or it's reboot after reboot. Just one gigantic void that sucks the life and soul out of creativity.

Just sick of all of it.

/End of rant

Steerpike

Felis amatus
You should expand the scope of your reading. Sounds like you're picking up mostly highly commercial stuff that replays the same well-worn tropes. There's a lot of other SF/F out there.

Nimue

Auror
I agree with Steer. There are a lot of gems out there, but the stories that sparkle for you might not be at the top of the mass-market heap. I don't read a lot of the big names in fantasy--Martin, Sanderson, etc--but I've carved out a niche of other authors that really make me happy. Don't assume that you should like what's popular--or that because you don't, that there's nothing out there for you.

Maybe try a platform like Goodreads, where you can rate what you've liked in the past and it'll give you recommendations from there. It's not perfect, but it's better than never reading anything new again.

C

Chessie

I haven't been around for awhile (not that I expected my absence to be noticed :p), and mainly because I am just bored to death with pretty much all contemporary fantasy and Sci-Fi. Thus my motivation/inspiration to write has been waning. I just see all that is offered up today as cookie cutter and streamlined for mass consumption. Doesn't matter what format it takes, or what country produces it. It's just the copycat syndrome taken to the extreme. Or it's reboot after reboot. Just one gigantic void that sucks the life and soul out of creativity.

Just sick of all of it.

/End of rant

I'm sorry. :( May I ask what it is that you've been reading? Baen?

Just tossing a suggestion your way but maybe take it back to the classics. Those are always wonderful to revisit. Also, have you considered any Indie authors? Depending on what subgenre of Fantasy you're reading I may be able to provide you with a bit of reading. I vet my Indie books strongly so you wouldn't get any crap, of that I assure you. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Also, I second Goodreads. Their book lists have been helpful in finding more of the niche markets.

I'm sorry. :( May I ask what it is that you've been reading? Baen?

Just tossing a suggestion your way but maybe take it back to the classics. Those are always wonderful to revisit. Also, have you considered any Indie authors? Depending on what subgenre of Fantasy you're reading I may be able to provide you with a bit of reading. I vet my Indie books strongly so you wouldn't get any crap, of that I assure you. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Also, I second Goodreads. Their book lists have been helpful in finding more of the niche markets.

I've tried to read the current big names in fantasy writing and just have little to no interest in them. I've been trying to find more horror/supernatural/occult stuff.

The problem is I've burned out on the classics because that's what I usually resort to reading when I can't find anything new.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I've tried to read the current big names in fantasy writing and just have little to no interest in them. I've been trying to find more horror/supernatural/occult stuff.

The problem is I've burned out on the classics because that's what I usually resort to reading when I can't find anything new.

The BIG names are the ones most likely to be writing mainstream, commercial fantasy that travels familiar paths. That's what sells the most. There is a lot more out there in the genre, though. Forget the big names and look for authors doing new and interesting things.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Good advice Steerpike, but how does one find the new and interesting? Got any great tips?

Also, Miskatonic, try reading outside the genre. I've been finding some great stuff in unexpected corners.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Good advice Steerpike, but how does one find the new and interesting? Got any great tips?

Also, Miskatonic, try reading outside the genre. I've been finding some great stuff in unexpected corners.

I just get on my Kindle or go to the bookstore and browse, then buy new/random books by authors I have never heard of. That's how I got the Catling book I linked a review of, above. Sometimes I get stuff I don't like. Sometimes I get books that are very good.

There are probably also fantasy book reviewers that tend toward non-mainstream work. If I see a fantasy book mentioned in The Atlantic, or on NPR, or something, I know it's not likely to be mainstream fiction. I'm sure there are such reviewers online, but honestly I just browse and buy books (which is even more of a random process for me in that I don't read blurbs, so I bought The Vorrh with no real idea as to what it was about).

C

Chessie

Hm. I don't typically read horror, not much past Lovecraft and King. Let me get back to you on this.

Also, Amazon's genre lists are broken atm but it's still possible to find what you're looking for with a bit of searching. Keywords, best-sellers list, and also the new release lists.

Just sick of all of it.

/End of rant

I've gone through periods of feeling the same way about numerous interests, including but not limited to sf/f. There's nothing wrong with taking a break from something if you're feeling burned out on it. Many writing experts encourage authors to read outside their genre. If you're finding horror/supernatural/occult more interesting now, there's nothing wrong with moving your focus there. Whatever keeps your interest. As long as you keep reading, you're bound to find inspiration for your writing. Maybe you'll find yourself wanting to write in a different genre than sf/f for a while. Doesn't mean you'll never come back to sf/f. You might even come back with a new perspective that can help you to create brilliant, fresh sf/f that isn't cut from the same cookie cutter you're sick of now, something for the rest of us to enjoy so that we don't get burned out. :) Dissatisfaction can lead to innovation.

And...even if you're not interested in writing sf/f now, it shouldn't stop you from discussing it with those of us who are still trying. We're all here because we want to create something unique, interesting, and entertaining. If you have insights that could help us, maybe some of our future works can pique your interest in the genre again.

Incanus

Auror
I feel you. Sturgeon's Law comes to mind, which basically says that about 90% of everything is junk. To coopt audio terminology, it seems these days the noise (junk) to signal (good stuff) ratio has increased, making the good stuff all the more harder to find.

As a super-slow reader, I have to be a bit picky. One thing I did recently was to pick up the 2016 Best of Dark Fantasy and Horror anthology. Reading it on and off, I can sample the work of 30 new writers (at least, new to me) all in one place. Any of them that really grab me I can follow up on.

(I've read the first five stories so far. Strangely, it is Neil Gaiman who is running far behind in last place. His entry was the least original and also used the blandest prose--I don't know why, but I'm just not connecting with this popular writer.)

I've gone through periods of feeling the same way about numerous interests, including but not limited to sf/f. There's nothing wrong with taking a break from something if you're feeling burned out on it. Many writing experts encourage authors to read outside their genre. If you're finding horror/supernatural/occult more interesting now, there's nothing wrong with moving your focus there. Whatever keeps your interest. As long as you keep reading, you're bound to find inspiration for your writing. Maybe you'll find yourself wanting to write in a different genre than sf/f for a while. Doesn't mean you'll never come back to sf/f. You might even come back with a new perspective that can help you to create brilliant, fresh sf/f that isn't cut from the same cookie cutter you're sick of now, something for the rest of us to enjoy so that we don't get burned out. :) Dissatisfaction can lead to innovation.

And...even if you're not interested in writing sf/f now, it shouldn't stop you from discussing it with those of us who are still trying. We're all here because we want to create something unique, interesting, and entertaining. If you have insights that could help us, maybe some of our future works can pique your interest in the genre again.

I'm more than happy to help, but at times you feel like a fraud because you are giving advice/suggestions without having done it yourself. I can't really consider myself a writer at the moment because I'm not actually writing anything. The ideas are all there but I can't seem to be able to force myself to sit down and start writing it out.

I feel you. Sturgeon's Law comes to mind, which basically says that about 90% of everything is junk. To coopt audio terminology, it seems these days the noise (junk) to signal (good stuff) ratio has increased, making the good stuff all the more harder to find.

As a super-slow reader, I have to be a bit picky. One thing I did recently was to pick up the 2016 Best of Dark Fantasy and Horror anthology. Reading it on and off, I can sample the work of 30 new writers (at least, new to me) all in one place. Any of them that really grab me I can follow up on.

(I've read the first five stories so far. Strangely, it is Neil Gaiman who is running far behind in last place. His entry was the least original and also used the blandest prose--I don't know why, but I'm just not connecting with this popular writer.)

More like 99%, lol. Thankfully I can still find music I like to listen to. TV and film on the other hand takes a lot more work. I've been trying to read more non-fiction works in hopes that I might get some ideas from historical events, different civilizations, etc.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
I have read a lot of books down through the decades. Probably no exaggeration to say more than most other posters here.

And yes, I note a certain...sameness...about all too many fantasy and SF books. They suffer from common issues: with the SF ones, it's all two often space battles between groups with roughly equivalent tech. Fantasy, enter the Dark Lord, stage left. Urban Fantasy? Magic and magical creatures abound, performing wonders, despite supposedly being a deep, dark secret.

Not many hold my attention anymore.

Still...

Danlewinski's (sp?) 'Familiar' series. Tough to get into, but definitely thought provoking.

'Unfathomed: Locus' - a relatively recent find on Amazon Kindle.

Going back a bit further: Kate Elliots 'Crown of Stars' series.

William Hope Hodgson of 'House on the Borderland' fame from way back also wrote some other strange tales of interest.

Tierney, an old line SF author, wrote some of the most impressive 'recent' Lovecraft type tales I have seen. The 'Simon of Gita' (Simon Magus) stories in his 'Scroll of Thoth' helped inspire me during NaNo. I recently finished his delightful, fully Lovecraftian, and utterly blasphemous 'Drums of Chaos.'

Franz Werfel, in his 'Star of the Unborn,' published after his death in 1945, presented a marvelous far future (1,000,000 AD) Earth, with one of the most unique means and purposes of 'space travel' I have ever seen, amongst other things, though his style makes the going tough.

Anyhow, this 'sameness' issue prompted me to venture into a different direction with my writing. Yes, the current projects are set in what appears to be a stock fantasy world - elves, goblins, wizards, and whatnot. But where most such tales feature the Great War against the Dark Lord, mine is postwar. The characters are struggling to adapt to a world that is changing around them. Technology is being developed, something that rarely happens in fantasy settings.

There is also a Lovecraftian element, with a couple of twists: first, the insignificant mortal insects actually bested a Great Old One, though the details are murky and perilous. (I note this was alluded to now and again in Lovecraft's original works - somebody bound Cthulhu and kin.) Plus, there's the 'negotiation' aspect - while utterly alien, some of the abominations in my tales are not especially interested in destroying/eating/enslaving humanity.

Peat

Sage
Maybe look at The Ballad of Black Tom? Sounds an interesting twist on Lovecraft.

The Just City by Jo Walton is another fairly unconventional sounding one. Disclaimer: both are on my TBR list so I could be wrong.

Maybe look at The Ballad of Black Tom? Sounds an interesting twist on Lovecraft.

The Just City by Jo Walton is another fairly unconventional sounding one. Disclaimer: both are on my TBR list so I could be wrong.

The Ballad of Black Tom looks like some type of veiled criticism about Lovecraft's racism. Not something that I'm interested in. People seem to be fixated on this aspect of Lovecraft to the point where they've removed his likeness from sci-fi/fantasy awards. This is exactly what I dislike about contemporary sci-fi/fantasy.

C

Chessie

I know the OP is asking for book recs (and I'm working on some for you it just takes a bit of searching) BUT...I'd like to touch on something that is very relevant to this topic. Aside from our tastes changing as we mature, I agree with Miskatonic about the blandness of books these days. I really think this has a lot to do with this copycat effect of everyone writing the same because rules!

Last night, I revisited an old article by Kristine Katherine Rusch about author voice. It brough to mind the possible reason why I've been reading so much older fiction lately (downloaded Uncle Tom's Cabin last night on my Kindle). Those books have some interesting voices, so very distinct from one another, and I love it. Some make me feel uncomfortable. Some make me feel cozy. Others I'm not so sure of. The point being that they make me feel something.

Modern literature is bland for the most part. I'm not narrow in my tastes either. I read fantasy, sci-fi, romance, mystery. The older books have much better storytelling voices that actually keep me engaged. When I download a book on my Kindle by a modern author, I yawn. There's one romance author who is selling like hotcakes in trad pub and her name is all over the historical romance genre I have my eye on. Her work is boring. WHY!?!? It's because the greater powers that be, those in charge of everything writing and literature, say:

-don't use contractions
-don't use adverbs
-don't use italics
-don't use ellipses

...etc!

It's good that Miskatonic started this thread, because the concept of being who you are when you write, instead of being like everyone else, seems to be fading fast. OP can now take into consideration how he/she wants to move forward in their own writing and make it stand out by not writing bland like everyone else, with the same paragraph structures and lack of adverbs and parentheses and ellipses. I wanted to touch on this because it's important for us as writers to fill holes where other readers, who are not writers, can't fill. This is the second thread in a week, on a writers' forum, that I've come across this topic. It speaks volumes.