• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Just a thread on epub price setting.

Michael- how much does it cost to register an LLC? Whats the benefit? (if indepth, maybe this could be another thread?)

It depends on your state. Each one has different fees for LLC. You also need a lawyer to draw up the papers for the LLC - I personally used LegalZoom - and don't recall exactly the cost but I think it was about $200 including the state filing fee in VA. Their website will tell you for sure. I talked to a lawyer and I think he was going to charge $800 or so to set one up - but I didn't need anything fancy so I went with LegalZoom the lawyer even told me that for as simple of a LLC as I wanted that Legal Zoom might be the best approach.

SeverinR

Vala
It depends on your state. Each one has different fees for LLC. You also need a lawyer to draw up the papers for the LLC - I personally used LegalZoom - and don't recall exactly the cost but I think it was about $200 including the state filing fee in VA. Their website will tell you for sure. I talked to a lawyer and I think he was going to charge $800 or so to set one up - but I didn't need anything fancy so I went with LegalZoom the lawyer even told me that for as simple of a LLC as I wanted that Legal Zoom might be the best approach.

technically...:)
Disclaimer
LegalZoom is not a law firm, and the employees of LegalZoom are not acting as your attorney. LegalZoom's legal document service is not a substitute for the advice of an attorney.
Nor did they stay at a holiday inn express last night.
What advantages does creating an LLC do for a writer? I doubt an unpubished author would need this, but how big an author would benefit?
(I know from the comercial making an LLC protects/seperates your private assets from liability from the business.)

Last edited:
I didn't form a LLC for the "protection" aspect it was just a convenience for S-corporation formation which was done to avoid excessive self-employment taxation.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Yeah, I think the tax consequences are the important part. LLCs do provide a shield of personal assets, but depending on the liability I think if you're a one-person LLC, where the company is really just an alter ego of you as a person, it isn't that hard for people to break through the shield. Not my area, though :)