• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Keplerian Culture

caters

Sage
Keplerians and their culture

They have wide differences in culture but 1 thing they have in common is that they live part of their time underground.

Kepler Bb

Here they are a mostly stone age society that progresses rapidly. Why do they progress rapidly? Well they have their friends on a planet nearby to thank for that.

Kepler B#

This neatly transitions into the next section. The nearby planet is Kepler B#. This is home to a futuristic society with things like teleportation and maglev roads.

Pregnancy

Moderator Note: Unnecessary image has been removed.

Pregnancy is dealt with in society very well. Abstinence happens to be enough to prevent unwanted pregnancy in this humanoid species and lots of females love the surprise they get when gender is revealed at 5 years. They may think that loving the color purple means it is a female when the child actually turns out to be a male.

Pregnant females are left to relax in their home. That is unless they are adolescents. Adolescents either need to go through induced miscarriage(which 95% of them do) or be isolated in the wilderness for years, possibly even their whole lifetime(5% of pregnant adolescents take this risk). The length of time isolated depends on the AoC or age of conception and behavioural history. So a pregnant 15 year old might be isolated for 20 years after birth if otherwise it behaved well or for life if it had a significant history of bad behavior. A pregnant 25 year old on the other hand(yes adolescence lasts until 25 years and adulthood starts at 26 years for this species) might only be isolated for a few months after giving birth if it behaved well and 2 years if it had a significant history of bad behavior. Any younger than 15 and pregnancy is not possible without reproductive assistance.

So potentially a new city or tribe could form from a group of pregnant adolescents isolated from everyone else.

People will do everything to comfort an adult pregnant female and make sure they have enough food. Bones(iron and calcium rich) and organ meats(iron rich) are given to prevent anemia and loss of bone.

Diet and agriculture

As you can probably guess already, my species is omnivorous. They eat everything, poisonous or not. They can eat poisonous plants and animals due to incredible resistance to poison. Of course a pregnant female should not eat anything poisonous due to risk of defects and miscarriage and preterm labor or even postterm labor past a month from due date.

If you don't take into consideration plants, most of their food is still hunted. Some Keplerians do go through the process of domestication of animals for things like milk, eggs, and meat as well as fur to spin into yarn. But this is a minority of the population because no one knows if for example via breeding the best milk producers with the tamest males, they will get aggressive, low milk producing offspring or not and so it isn't worth the risk for most people to have livestock at this point. So most hunt for their meat and eggs instead. Agriculture though is booming. Most people have at least a small garden and some like Lisa and Robin have a greenhouse and several types of fruit trees.

Children

Moderator Note: Unnecessary image has been removed.

Children are treated specially in this society. They are given venom vaccines before the age of 5 years because venomous animals will commonly live in the homes of families and this helps prevent death from a venomous bite. For example a two headed, two tailed snake might use 1 rattle to warn that if the child gets any closer it will bite and 2 rattles for territorial disputes. Likewise that same snake might give 2 venomous bites or just 1 depending on how big of a threat the child is to the snake.

They also are given bone powder if below 5 years old and anemic and raw bone if older than 5 years and anemic because usually anemia is caused by an iron deficiency and bone is iron rich. 5 years is the gray zone here. Some have had their esophagus get tough enough to handle raw bone, some still need bone powder to get the nutrients that are in bone. Organ meats can be given but usually the taste for organ meats comes closer to adolescence than birth, even if the mother regularly ate organ meats while pregnant. So usually a child will say no to liver but yes to bone. 5 years is the age at which the biological sex is gradually revealed(so if male, the child might get noticeable erections as a first sign and if female, seeing folds form is a sign. A girl might get temporary breast buds at this point. They typically last anywhere from a few weeks to a year. A child might even lactate a little but this won't last.

Baby rooms will have things for the baby to climb on, possibly even an entire rock climbing wall. Climbing is particularly important for a partly underground society.

No vaccines against illness unless genetic testing and blood tests reveal a naturally weak immune system. Why? Because most children, even as babies will recover from illness with supportive care just fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vaporo

Inkling
Maybe it's over the line to say this, but I want to anyways. Caters, I've seen several of your posts on this site over the last few years, and you seem to have a bit of an unhealthy fixation on pregnancy and childbearing. It's ok if that's a subject that interests you and if you want to write a story about it, but almost every post you make, no matter how unrelated it initially seems, ultimately circles back around to a discussion about having children.

As for your fictional culture... There's a lot of things that don't make sense just in what you've described here. Why do pregnant adolescents need to be isolated? Maybe if it were a sort of exile thing it would work. Something like "You broke our sacred law so you must live in the wild as penance." But you describe it almost as a quarantine or prison sentence, like they're being sent away to protect society.

Also, you can't dodge the abortion issue by calling it "induced miscarriage." But, that's a can of worms that I don't want to open up, and if you ever try to get published it's one that you should handle with extreme care.

A lot of your worldbuilding notes that I've seen you put up here have some severe issues. Really, what I think that you need to do is step back and do a "Reality Check" on your stories. Take a walk, get some fresh air, and ask yourself "Does what I'm writing really make sense?" That's what I do for a lot of problems, and it works wonders.

caters

Sage
Maybe it's over the line to say this, but I want to anyways. Caters, I've seen several of your posts on this site over the last few years, and you seem to have a bit of an unhealthy fixation on pregnancy and childbearing. It's ok if that's a subject that interests you and if you want to write a story about it, but almost every post you make, no matter how unrelated it initially seems, ultimately circles back around to a discussion about having children.

As for your fictional culture... There's a lot of things that don't make sense just in what you've described here. Why do pregnant adolescents need to be isolated? Maybe if it were a sort of exile thing it would work. Something like "You broke our sacred law so you must live in the wild as penance." But you describe it almost as a quarantine or prison sentence, like they're being sent away to protect society.

Also, you can't dodge the abortion issue by calling it "induced miscarriage." But, that's a can of worms that I don't want to open up, and if you ever try to get published it's one that you should handle with extreme care.

A lot of your worldbuilding notes that I've seen you put up here have some severe issues. Really, what I think that you need to do is step back and do a "Reality Check" on your stories. Take a walk, get some fresh air, and ask yourself "Does what I'm writing really make sense?" That's what I do for a lot of problems, and it works wonders.

It is for protection of society. It is 1 thing to have an adolescent adopt a baby and induce lactation months before that. That is viewed as perfectly fine. But an adolescent becoming pregnant is viewed bad to the same degree murder is. Adolescents in this society are known to be reckless when it comes to sex, even if they otherwise aren't reckless at all. So it protects against STD related defects and STD transmission. And well, even without STDs, teen pregnancy is risky due to the fact that the girl is still in puberty and is thus not physically mature, even if she is sexually mature at 15. This would mean that the baby could die from birth or the mom could die from birth and these would both be more likely due to lack of physical maturity. Also, I never plan ahead of time whether my writing is going to be published or not, I just write.

Vaporo

Inkling
Well, caters, this is what I mean when I say "Reality Check." Does it really make sense to exile everyone who bears a child at too young of an age? Do you think that such a proposition would ever gain ground in real life? I realize that it's a fictional society, but still. Plus, if your goal is to stop the spread of STDs, isn't exiling the mother after the fact kind of like closing the barn door after the horse is out? And what about the father? And is the age thing even in the ballpark of a reasonable solution? An STD will spread whether it's an adolescent or an adult who spreads it. Wouldn't a more sensible thing just be strict laws regarding monogomy?

Try to ask these sorts of questions yourself. Try to break the systems you came up with and you can change them to make them much more believable.

Last edited:

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Often, when Caters posts, I sit and wonder if he is just trolling us. And some of the work he puts into his posts, such as a woman poking the moving fetus makes me wonder why include that? But you know, maybe he is just a strange guy.

I do find the posts a curiosity and wonder at where he is going with all of this. But to be honest, I think the thing these would steer to have me asking where is the human or defiant spirit in all this? It may be great policy to exile a 15 year old girl for pregnancy, but...um...what sane society would do that? What parent of 15 yr old would take that lying down. Want to exile my 15 year old? F:eek: You. Want to exile me? F:eek: you again. Perhaps a few a reminders that I can use weapons if I want, might drive that home.

And I think most of this does not account for the free will of others. Some may want to control. I don't see many going for it.

And so, I read something like this, and I think okay, maybe in a far fetched uptopia, or dystopia more likely, some strange species with some sentience that does not value it young would go for this. I would object whole heartedly, and expect that somewhere along the way, others in the story would have to as well.

But what is this all about? Is there is story here somewhere, or is it just a collection of world building fact for a very unappealing world.

Vaporo

Inkling
Y'know, I've done the exact same thing. But, if she is a troll (because she has made it abundantly clear that she is a she), then she is one of the most subtle, persistent trolls that I've ever seen. All of her posts are consistent with each other. Her worldbuilding is nonsensical, but it always stays the same between posts. Plus, a site devoted to fantasy writing doesn't exactly seem like ideal hunting grounds for a troll, especially since the most common reactions to her posts seem to be encouragement and friendly advice.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I apologize if they are a she. Hard to tell through the internet. They do certainly seem to have an interest in hamming down the rules and biology of their world of interest. I just feel it is disconnected from the passion sentient living things ought to have.

Tom

Istar
This "worldbuilding" is disturbing to me, particularly the unnecessary (unhealthy?) focus on adolescent pregnancy and children's sexual development. And exiling pregnant adolescents or forcing them to undergo abortions? Holy sh*t. Dude. I get this is your fictional world but this happens to real life people every day and it's no laughing matter. I personally know a girl who was disowned by her family when she became pregnant in high school.

I'd like to request a mod to take a look at this thread, please.

Malik

Auror
I haven't had all my coffee yet, but . . .

what1.gif

Carters, maybe you should try writing something outside of your comfort zone. Its a great way to improve your world building and writing in general. Just a friendly suggestion.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Hello everyone!

This message is for the original poster of this thread: As you can see from the replies that various members have provided, we are very tired and confused by your behavior. We are not sure of why you are doing this, but at this point you are pretty much trolling the Forums. Here in Mythic Scribes, your actions are considered Bizarre and Nonsensical behavior and that cannot be tolerated.

Please consider the meaning of this message before posting again.

S.W.