• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Last Things to Do Before I Hit Publish?

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
So I've decided to launch my short story The Unicorn-Eater this weekend. I don't have any extravagant plans for it at the moment, since it's 99 cents and it's really intended as a "taste" of what I hope to offer with my Splatter Elf world going forward. I'm going in an unconventional direction with it. What I mean is, I'm not going to just write straight-forward adventure stories under this banner. I'm going to be experimenting with form and how I can stretch genre more and more. But all in all, this will be my first toe in the water so to speak.

I've gotten mostly good feedback on it and I think because I'm doing a very specific style of fantasy (dark humor/graphic violence), I may alienate certain readers. But I'm hoping it being different in some capacity will attract curious readers.

I've been promoting on my Facebook page and occasionally on Twitter. I've joined some Facebook groups that don't mind promotion. I've been re-tweeting other writers and using specific hashtags to locate certain browsers. I've done my keywords as best I can (although they may change as time goes on)

I've wished upon a star. I've crossed my fingers.

What else can I do before I hit publish? Any last minute suggestions or once-overs I should do?

I'm doing one more scan to make sure I'm not missing any typos or random shit. I just want to make sure I have most of my bases covered before I officially publish it. I do think once I've got something out there with my name on it, at least when people say, "Oh, you're a writer? Can I buy your stuff?" And I can, "Why, yes. You can. It's called The Unicorn-Eater." Then I get the eyebrow raise. :)

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Make sure you've got snacks and coffee at home to keep you company after you've clicked Publish. Maybe something to keep you distracted as well while waiting to see if you made a sale?

Best of luck. :)

PaulineMRoss

Inkling
Don't forget to update your signatures everywhere. It's surprising how many click-throughs that generates over time.

Good luck with it! Keep us posted on progress. :)

Russ

Istar
So I've decided to launch my short story The Unicorn-Eater this weekend. I don't have any extravagant plans for it at the moment, since it's 99 cents and it's really intended as a "taste" of what I hope to offer with my Splatter Elf world going forward. I'm going in an unconventional direction with it. What I mean is, I'm not going to just write straight-forward adventure stories under this banner. I'm going to be experimenting with form and how I can stretch genre more and more. But all in all, this will be my first toe in the water so to speak.

I've gotten mostly good feedback on it and I think because I'm doing a very specific style of fantasy (dark humor/graphic violence), I may alienate certain readers. But I'm hoping it being different in some capacity will attract curious readers.

I've been promoting on my Facebook page and occasionally on Twitter. I've joined some Facebook groups that don't mind promotion. I've been re-tweeting other writers and using specific hashtags to locate certain browsers. I've done my keywords as best I can (although they may change as time goes on)

I've wished upon a star. I've crossed my fingers.

What else can I do before I hit publish? Any last minute suggestions or once-overs I should do?

I'm doing one more scan to make sure I'm not missing any typos or random shit. I just want to make sure I have most of my bases covered before I officially publish it. I do think once I've got something out there with my name on it, at least when people say, "Oh, you're a writer? Can I buy your stuff?" And I can, "Why, yes. You can. It's called The Unicorn-Eater." Then I get the eyebrow raise. :)

Let me know when it goes out. I have some friends who hate unicorns and will make sure they buy it from you.

Good luck!

C

Chessie

Hit publish and continue writing your next project. That's my advice anyway. Also, what Pauline said about the signatures. Good luck!

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Buy a drone and fly it around town pulling a banner that reads "Buy the The Unicorn Eater or we publish what we film!"

Sorry, I've been watching South Park reruns. :p

The last thing to do before you hit publish? I don't know. Maybe send a copy to your friends the night before and ask them to review it for you?

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm not sure how to send a copy to other people. When I have converted my file to MOBI through a third party it comes out all wonky. I think the formatting looks very similar to some other people I've been reading on Kindle now, so hopefully it'll work for all devices.

Hi,

Don't convert to .mobi! If you're going kindle stick to the basic Word 2000. Let Amazon do the conversions for you. You will have less problems.

Also I take it you've got a cover and blurb ready.

Last, and this is probably the most important step in guaranteeing success and sales. Get naked, run three times around the house widershins chanting - it doesn't actually matter what - and don't forget to wave to your neighbours as you do so. Every author I know who has engaged in this time honoured ritual has gained enormous exposure from it, which can translate into sales!!! In fact I believe this was Hemmingway's ticket to success thus proving that any old hack can become an iconic author if they're just willing to put in the cold yards!!!

Cheers, Greg.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Ha! I will keep that in mind. I hit publish! I am happy with everything, but worried a typo mighy have sneaked through. I guess I will promote only to friends and family the first couple of days and see if they spot anything.

Thanks again everyone!