• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Legerdemain isn't just my Username, it's my shoesize...

Legerdemain

Troubadour
Hey folks!

I'm a college administrator working at a college in North Carolina working on course development for Art Appreciation classes online... oh, and building IKEA furniture for the college president, he thinks I'm a master at it, and I think the count is 273 pieces built so far...

I write in my spare time, and I worked at a publisher doing copy editing work, so I know a little bit about the publishing side... though we focused on legal textbooks at that office for the most part. I hope to get some feedback on my writing here, and hopefully help people with feedback of my own. If I ever sound critical do not take it personally, I never mean critique to be negative, only advice on my opinion. That said, if I say I hate an author you love, it doesn't mean I'm right, and it doesn't mean you are either, so don't take it to heart as disliking you ;-)!

That said, yay, let's post and converse, eh?

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Welcome to Mythic Scribes, Chris!

The next time that I need furniture assembled, I'll be sure to give you a call. ;)

Legerdemain

Troubadour
What's in a name?

The name means slight of hand... it's a nice little moniker when using the Joker or the like as an avatar, and I personally like the idea of being fast of hand and fast of mind. It's shifty, unsettling, and neat in my opinion... but what's in a name, eh?

It's all in actions, not names...

Since we've been chit chatting back and forth, I guess I can at least say hello to you within your own intro.

So......HELLO! Welcome to the site.....though I'm pretty sure you've been here longer than me. And that makes me think of Oz from Buffy - don't ask. My mind wanders.....and now I'm back.

Anyway, I like what I've read of your work thus far and I'm looking forward to reading more. And I'm going to call you Legs for short because I like irony.

Kelise

Maester
I would have to say that Joker is my favourite in the Batman universe, so thumbs up for the avatar.

It's good you're willing to be blunt with advice. For so long I was in a writing circle of people who were too nice. Which is nice. But often resulted in wasted time.

I look forward to hearing blunt feedback from you, and hopefully offering helpful critique of my own :)

Legerdemain

Troubadour
I would have to say that Joker is my favourite in the Batman universe, so thumbs up for the avatar.

It's good you're willing to be blunt with advice. For so long I was in a writing circle of people who were too nice. Which is nice. But often resulted in wasted time.

I look forward to hearing blunt feedback from you, and hopefully offering helpful critique of my own :)

Thanks, I really like this avatar, it was made by contacts from deviantart. Lots of good artists hang around there, despite what many art professors here at work say. And the Joker's also a very dynamic character, so I love him for many reasons.

I copyedit for my friends in college and graduate school, and I tell them I can be nice, honest, or cruelly honest. One of my friends, Josh, asked the difference:

Nice - No cosmetic edits, no matter how bad grammar is. Looking for logic or argument problems, or possibly minor fact checking. Can I read it? Does it make sense? Do I get physically ill? I look for only the largest of things.

Honest - I start ripping and questioning most of the work, not for content, as I do not care about what they write about, just if they can write. Oh, and regarding grammar, red ink comes out to a large extent. No more parallel structure problems here! But this level you also get the most compliments, as I give all the positives I say as well. Most good writers who have drafted several times get very happy reviews... if no drafting has occurred, pain should be the least on concerns...

Cruelly Honest - I go beyond pointing out mistakes, but I start attacking even the good things. The Devil is the the details, and I point out how readers of all sorts will hate the work, or question the work, or the arguments. This is only for the open-minded, as I NEVER give advise, I just reflect on works. And any honest copywriter will admit they have NO answers, just tons of questions and ideas, most of which are opinions that should be disregarded. One paper, halfheartedly as a joke, I drew an X on the front page in a red sharpie marker and wrote "NO, TRY AGAIN"... but I'm only this mean when people ask me or I'm "asked/begged/demanded" to edit, and I'm in a bad mood. I sometimes attack an author personally, as every forgotten space or mistyped letter is a direct threat to my character and worldview. I do not recommend that I become cruel.

Anyway, if anyone wants feedback, all they have to do is ask. If you don't want feedback, I may give it anyway on the Showcase, and you can ignore me.

Anyway, good to meet you Star! :D