• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Let's get to know each other! Mythic Scribes: Inheritance Tracks

Righmath

Troubadour
Difficult question. The songs I'd pass on to relatives would be regional folk songs, but there's little use passing those on to folks elsewhere given the cultural/language barrier. So instead I'll go with Concrete Jungle by Bob Marley and the Wailers. Whenever I hear their music I think of 12 year old me listening to their songs ad nauseam. Concrete Jungle remains my favourite of their songs throughout the years.
Interesting, I'd never had thought you'd pass on a song like this! I guess I subtly thought you were on the rocker vibe like me 😜 What about a song you inherited?

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Interesting, I'd never had thought you'd pass on a song like this! I guess I subtly thought you were on the rocker vibe like me 😜 What about a song you inherited?
Plenty of songs I've inherited. Sticking once more to English language songs, I remember a friendly fellow I met on a vacation in southern France who was from the Hague. It was astonishing how often he could turn a conversation towards his favourite band, Golden Earring (from the Hague of course). I have fond memories of that trip (and similar trips) as a kid, so I'll go with Radar Love by Golden Earring.

Last edited:

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
I've just listened to Spirit of 76, I kind of like it. It gives me Don McLean - American Pie vibes? But of course, my music knowledge from this era isn't that vast so you might disagree 🤣
There is a similar melancholy in the two songs [and of course I love American Pie]. I have lost count of the number of times I saw The Alarm over the years. It is well over a dozen. If you have a moment try listening to either or both of 68 Guns or New South Wales.
68 Guns was my fight song back in the day and New South Wales bring me to tears, every time.

I grew up in a house without much secular music, but every now and then we'd listen to something my parents called 'party mix,' which was a 70's compilation CD. The catchiest song on there that I found just hilarious was probably Daddy Cool by Boney M.

As for what I'd pass on, I'm not sure. A lot of the music I listen to is really sad and melancholy. I'd love to introduce my kids to Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys, though, particularly God Only Knows and Wouldn't It Be Nice.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I did not get into music until I was out of high school actually. Purchased my first actual album in 11th grade. Mostly, I did not care for it, and thought it was unimportant. But, I've grown a bit sense.

I have passed things on to the daughter (whom I have little actual agreement with ;)) We share a love of showtunes, specially Jesus Christ Superstar, Evita, Les Mis, and some others. We dont agree on wicked thought. I thought it was meh. I think the Disney movie totally crushed it.

And I tend to listen to sad and melancholy too.

Last edited:

Righmath

Troubadour
I grew up in a house without much secular music, but every now and then we'd listen to something my parents called 'party mix,' which was a 70's compilation CD. The catchiest song on there that I found just hilarious was probably Daddy Cool by Boney M.

As for what I'd pass on, I'm not sure. A lot of the music I listen to is really sad and melancholy. I'd love to introduce my kids to Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys, though, particularly God Only Knows and Wouldn't It Be Nice.
Oh wow! Daddy Cool is a pretty cool song to inherit! Also love the beach boys, Fun Fun Fun being top of the list for me. It reminds me of wild times in my sisters car haha. Interesting choices!

Righmath

Troubadour
I did not get into music until I was out of high school actually. Purchased my first actual album in 11th grade. Mostly, I did not care for it, and thought it was unimportant. But, I've grown a bit sense.

I have passed things on to the daughter (whom I have little actual agreement with ;)) We share a love of showtunes, specially Jesus Christ Superstar, Evita, Les Mis, and some others. We dont agree on wicked thought. I thought it was meh. I think the Disney movie totally crushed it.

And I tend to listen to sad and melancholy too.
Ok well now you have to tell me what your inherited track from one of your first albums were? I mean, a close one of mine would've been Avril Lavigne. She was one of the first albums I've ever owned, and still an artist I love to this day! Going back to Le Mis, I love the song I Dreamed a Dream...

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I looked up the cool daddy song. I dont remember that one.

We had 'my dingaling'....I think it was on a record. (I suspect that did not play in Hope's home).

Anyway, when I was preteen, we had records. The only one I remember was a Beatles one with an Apple in the center the would spin and spin. I think we also had the monkeys. I was not into music then, and never liked the Beatles (still dont). Like I said already, my brother was into the 70's rock and had many records which he would play, and you could hear them through the walls. I dont recall which were which, but those are the songs I like.

First thing I bought was a cassette tape of Cindy Lauper, and the soundtrack to Chess. Which I think I bought a day apart from each other. I forget if I had a Walkman or a console, but they were the first. At that time, One Night an Bangkok was a top 40, but while I still love the musical, its not my favorite song on it. I forget what I liked about Cindy, but she had a number of songs out, and I liked them all, so....there it was.

I had a lot of cassette tapes while I was still living at home. For some reason, I seemed cursed cause no matter what player I used, they seemed to record spots over the sound making the tapes sound like they were records skipping. That vexed my over many players and many cassettes. DVD's solved that. But now it is all MP3's.

I got a record player for christmas, which was not something I would have ever said I wanted. I dont have any records, so its kind of like I was gifted an expensive hobby. All and all, I was not unhappy with MP3's.

I had a lot of musicals. The ones I liked best were Jesus Christ Superstar and Evita (and most everything from Webber and Rice). I pretty much have them memorized and am ready to go on stage if anyone needs someone to sing Gethsemane.

Righmath

Troubadour
I looked up the cool daddy song. I dont remember that one.

We had 'my dingaling'....I think it was on a record. (I suspect that did not play in Hope's home).

Anyway, when I was preteen, we had records. The only one I remember was a Beatles one with an Apple in the center the would spin and spin. I think we also had the monkeys. I was not into music then, and never liked the Beatles (still dont). Like I said already, my brother was into the 70's rock and had many records which he would play, and you could hear them through the walls. I dont recall which were which, but those are the songs I like.

First thing I bought was a cassette tape of Cindy Lauper, and the soundtrack to Chess. Which I think I bought a day apart from each other. I forget if I had a Walkman or a console, but they were the first. At that time, One Night an Bangkok was a top 40, but while I still love the musical, its not my favorite song on it. I forget what I liked about Cindy, but she had a number of songs out, and I liked them all, so....there it was.

I had a lot of cassette tapes while I was still living at home. For some reason, I seemed cursed cause no matter what player I used, they seemed to record spots over the sound making the tapes sound like they were records skipping. That vexed my over many players and many cassettes. DVD's solved that. But now it is all MP3's.

I got a record player for christmas, which was not something I would have ever said I wanted. I dont have any records, so its kind of like I was gifted an expensive hobby. All and all, I was not unhappy with MP3's.

I had a lot of musicals. The ones I liked best were Jesus Christ Superstar and Evita (and most everything from Webber and Rice). I pretty much have them memorized and am ready to go on stage if anyone needs someone to sing Gethsemane.
Hold the phone, it was like all over the tv at one point when an advert used the song - I want to say it was for like Citoren? But maybe this was just in the UK!

Ok listening to Cindy Lauper... I like it! It's giving Cher? Not as dramatic, but still good!

Also you mentioned Jesus Christ Superstar and I have no idea what this is. I assume it's American?

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Hold the phone, it was like all over the tv at one point when an advert used the song - I want to say it was for like Citoren? But maybe this was just in the UK!

Ok listening to Cindy Lauper... I like it! It's giving Cher? Not as dramatic, but still good!

Also you mentioned Jesus Christ Superstar and I have no idea what this is. I assume it's American?

Its a rock opera.

Andrew Llyod Webber - Jesus Christ Superstar (50th Anniversary) [2CD] - Amazon.com Music

Truth is, while I liked the music, I always hated the production of this. They tried to do some weird anachronistic thing, where the romans had guns and not spears, and other out of place trappings. I would have liked it to have just been period.

Last edited: