• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Let's get to know each other! Mythic Scribes: Inheritance Tracks

Righmath

Troubadour
Hi All!

I love music. I love listening to music when I'm writing, when I'm commuting, when I'm working out and when I'm at my job. Every weekend when I sit down to work, I listen to BBC Radio 4; Desert Island Discs or Inheritance Tracks. These programmes essentially discuss with notable celebrities (writers, actors, singers etc) what songs or tracks have really impacted their life, or remind them of notable moments.

I figured we interact with one another, passing advice from time to time on these forums or maybe exchange some general chit chat about our day to day. So why not get to know each other a bit better by understanding our music! Let's celebrate the music that forum members cherish and would like to bestow to future generations.

So tell me:
  • What music track have you inherited?
  • What music track would you pass on?

An inherited track could be a song which reminds you of your mum, dad, grandparents, family home, friends etc (anything!). A track to pass on would be one which is perhaps just significant to you for whatever reason. Let's share!

Righmath

Troubadour
I'll go first.

I think a track I inherited is a tough one. There's so many which I do remember from my childhood, but I think I would have to choose 'Walking in the Air' which of course is from the film 'The Snowman.' My grandma used to have this on VCR and I remember my sisters and I watching it every Christmas. The song became a running joke between us, and we would sing it together whilst playing. Now, my nieces who are very young have been introduced to the film and recognise the song, which I of course think is very cute. It also just reminds me of Christmas which is great.

As for a track I would pass on. I think I could choose so many, but I suppose 'When You Were Young' by The Killers. It's a timeless song which has stuck by me for all my years. The video is great and reminds me of my teens, and the lyrics to me talk about mistakes and the past. Such a great song!

Righmath

Troubadour
Not sure how I slipped the 'e' 😭 any mods passing by, please feel free to correct the spelling mistake in the title!

Hey Rightmath, there is a whole thread called ‘what we’re listening to’ I think somewhere, but I suppose this is a little different.

Music I ‘inherited’ from my parents - Led Zeppelin, my favourite band, also David Bowie, my mum was a teen in the 70’s, and also Fleetwood Mac and Eagles.

From my own youth, I used to listen to all those bands, but also The Smiths, Stone Roses, Pixies, and bands that were around when I was a teen such as Incubus, Chilli Peppers and Finch (nothing to do with my username) I HAMMERED the album What It is to Burn 😅 and still think it’s a great emo classic. Nowadays I love an eclectic mixture and still love listening to oldies.

Righmath

Troubadour
Hey Finch, yes, this is definitely different to 'what we're listening to'. This thread is to generate a discussion about our lives and the sound tracks to it. Essentially getting to know each other a bit more! But you can only pick one single track to inherit!

I love the RHCP, under the bridge would be a notable track in my life. Mostly from mid teens. I remember listening to them when playing RuneScape for hours 🤣.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
My dad was a musician. He played guitar and entertained many people. When i young, we would go on camping trips with the extended family (spread over east coast Md to Ct) and there would be sing alongs. My dad would play the guitar with my cousin Dave.

I learned the piano. But when i had kids and moved out, i left the piano behind. Later in life I was given a guitar and really took to it. In retrospect, i probably should have learned the guitar first. Well my dad was nearing his end of life and i wanted to learn to play, so i spent about two years learning to play with my dad. And i learned all those old camp fire songs. Most were from the 40s and 50s. My dad’s signature song was ‘you are my sunshine’ which admittedly is easy to play but that is kind of his song and i play it whenever anyone listens (which is not often). My dad died 2 years ago.

Also, my brother mike would play his rock music which would bleed through the walls of my early home. From that i got Zeppelin, lynard Skynard, kiss, and well a lit of them.

Since i learned guitar i have come to appreciate music and performers a lot more. And in my appreciation, i have come to recognise why led zeppelin is just the best.

My song is actually ‘turn the page’ which i also play at times. Its the one i will most often sing if i am on my own. Also hotel california.

I can play some zeppelin but without the drums its not the same. Going to see robert plant in a few months at wolf trap with my sister. Favorite Zepp song, well stairway is a masterpeice on so many levels, but i think its when the levy breaks. I think Zepp 4 is probably the best album ever made. All the songs on it rock.

Mr plant is most proud of the song kasmeir (sp) but while i appreciate the complexity of it, i dont think its their best. Hard to beat stairway. In fact, no one has.

Righmath

Troubadour
My dad was a musician. He played guitar and entertained many people. When i young, we would go on camping trips with the extended family (spread over east coast Md to Ct) and there would be sing alongs. My dad would play the guitar with my cousin Dave.

I learned the piano. But when i had kids and moved out, i left the piano behind. Later in life I was given a guitar and really took to it. In retrospect, i probably should have learned the guitar first. Well my dad was nearing his end of life and i wanted to learn to play, so i spent about two years learning to play with my dad. And i learned all those old camp fire songs. Most were from the 40s and 50s. My dad’s signature song was ‘you are my sunshine’ which admittedly is easy to play but that is kind of his song and i play it whenever anyone listens (which is not often). My dad died 2 years ago.

Also, my brother mike would play his rock music which would bleed through the walls of my early home. From that i got Zeppelin, lynard Skynard, kiss, and well a lit of them.

Since i learned guitar i have come to appreciate music and performers a lot more. And in my appreciation, i have come to recognise why led zeppelin is just the best.

My song is actually ‘turn the page’ which i also play at times. Its the one i will most often sing if i am on my own. Also hotel california.

I can play some zeppelin but without the drums its not the same. Going to see robert plant in a few months at wolf trap with my sister. Favorite Zepp song, well stairway is a masterpeice on so many levels, but i think its when the levy breaks. I think Zepp 4 is probably the best album ever made. All the songs on it rock.

Mr plant is most proud of the song kasmeir (sp) but while i appreciate the complexity of it, i dont think its their best. Hard to beat stairway. In fact, no one has.
That’s so sweet! My song was also a little bitter sweet as my grandmother passed away two years ago.

Also love hotel California. In fact, you’ve inspired me to put it on now!

Nice choices.

As for The Snowman, it’s one of my favourites, I watch it every Christmas morning, the original where David Bowie introduced it, what a legend he was. I I’ve bought the book for my son to enjoy over the years hopefully. I love that the film is all hand drawn, paying homage to Raymond Briggs’ original book.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I have a literal inheritance. When my grandfather became too old to drive, he gave his car to me (I was middle-age by then). I drove it home, about a six hour drive. And I had brought with me from his house a handful of tapes. These included Benny Goodman, Tommy Dorsey, Glenn Miller, and Duke Ellington.

I was a lifelong rocker, but listening to this music into the night on that drive was revelatory. Sing, Sing, Sing (with a swing) was extraordinary--this was the performance at Carnegie Hall. In One O'Clock Jump I clearly heard the use of crescendo that would be echoed in a thousand rock songs. And Ellington, especially his early stuff, was as good as anything I'd heard.

I've had swing band music in my playlists ever since. That music led me into forays into jazz, a kind of secondary inheritance.

What would I pass along? Two albums. Jefferson Airplane, Volunteers (because I'm a sucker for political rock). And Grateful Dead, American Beauty.

Ask me on another day and I'd likely give a different bequest, because there's simply so damn much good music coming from rock and roll.

Insolent Lad

Maester
I come from a family of folkies and have tended that direction with my own music. Burl Ives and Pete Seegar were a part of the soundtrack when I was growing up, along with quite a bit of 'cowboy' music (thanks to my grandfather who was a big Tex Ritter fan). Then surf music in my teens until I discovered classical, and that has been the bulk of my listening since. I can actually and honestly blame the soundtrack of 2001 A Space Odyssey for starting me that direction. So maybe that's on the track (along with a bit of Dick Dale).

To pass on? Ha, maybe my own obscure album released back in the 90s. But I'd do better with the music and many releases of my niece, 'Mean Mary' James, banjo virtuoso and moderately well-known Americana artist.

Righmath

Troubadour
I come from a family of folkies and have tended that direction with my own music. Burl Ives and Pete Seegar were a part of the soundtrack when I was growing up, along with quite a bit of 'cowboy' music (thanks to my grandfather who was a big Tex Ritter fan). Then surf music in my teens until I discovered classical, and that has been the bulk of my listening since. I can actually and honestly blame the soundtrack of 2001 A Space Odyssey for starting me that direction. So maybe that's on the track (along with a bit of Dick Dale).

To pass on? Ha, maybe my own obscure album released back in the 90s. But I'd do better with the music and many releases of my niece, 'Mean Mary' James, banjo virtuoso and moderately well-known Americana artist.
This seems very similar to my music journey on how i discovered classical, except I blame the soundtrack of LOTR.

Can't comment on the latter, perhaps as a Brit he's not well known to me!

Righmath

Troubadour
I have a literal inheritance. When my grandfather became too old to drive, he gave his car to me (I was middle-age by then). I drove it home, about a six hour drive. And I had brought with me from his house a handful of tapes. These included Benny Goodman, Tommy Dorsey, Glenn Miller, and Duke Ellington.

I was a lifelong rocker, but listening to this music into the night on that drive was revelatory. Sing, Sing, Sing (with a swing) was extraordinary--this was the performance at Carnegie Hall. In One O'Clock Jump I clearly heard the use of crescendo that would be echoed in a thousand rock songs. And Ellington, especially his early stuff, was as good as anything I'd heard.

I've had swing band music in my playlists ever since. That music led me into forays into jazz, a kind of secondary inheritance.

What would I pass along? Two albums. Jefferson Airplane, Volunteers (because I'm a sucker for political rock). And Grateful Dead, American Beauty.

Ask me on another day and I'd likely give a different bequest, because there's simply so damn much good music coming from rock and roll.
That's really sweet! I love inheritance music like this. I'm sure he would love knowing that.

Also you can't choose an album! It's got to be a track ;)

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
I got the same track from my father. We used to make long night time journeys to visit relatives and there was something wonderful about going through a deserted towns or villages at 03.00 with Sing, Sing Sing, blasting out. Gene Krupa's drumming across they night was sensations. Hell... Everyone was.
As for songs I'd like to pass on to the next generation, I had to think about this, but Spirit of 76 by The Alarm. It has so much storytelling, pathos and passion packed in to 7 minutes.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Difficult question. The songs I'd pass on to relatives would be regional folk songs, but there's little use passing those on to folks elsewhere given the cultural/language barrier. So instead I'll go with Concrete Jungle by Bob Marley and the Wailers. Whenever I hear their music I think of 12 year old me listening to their songs ad nauseam. Concrete Jungle remains my favourite of their songs throughout the years.

Last edited:

Righmath

Troubadour
I got the same track from my father. We used to make long night time journeys to visit relatives and there was something wonderful about going through a deserted towns or villages at 03.00 with Sing, Sing Sing, blasting out. Gene Krupa's drumming across they night was sensations. Hell... Everyone was.
As for songs I'd like to pass on to the next generation, I had to think about this, but Spirit of 76 by The Alarm. It has so much storytelling, pathos and passion packed in to 7 minutes.
I've just listened to Spirit of 76, I kind of like it. It gives me Don McLean - American Pie vibes? But of course, my music knowledge from this era isn't that vast so you might disagree 🤣

Righmath

Troubadour
Difficult question. The songs I'd pass on to relatives would be regional folk songs, but there's little use passing those on to folks elsewhere given the cultural/language barrier. So instead I'll go with Concrete Jungle by Bob Marley and the Wailers. Whenever I hear their music I think of 12 year old me listening to their songs ad nauseam. Concrete Jungle remains my favourite of their songs throughout the years.